Not sure if I completely understand the Truck-Towing-Trailer weight thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derv1

I am retiring next year but I robbed the cradle and my wife has another 4-5 years before she can go.

We did a lot of tent and popup camping when the now grown kids were young.  And we have talked about being snowbirds or full timers in a few years.

We would like to buy a travel trailer (probably used) now to see if this is what we might want to do.  She has about 10 weeks vacation accumulated for each of her
remaining work time plus she has 3 day weekends.  So we can take a combination of short and longer trips.

We have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab short bed.  It has the 5.3L V8....3.42 gears....6 speed transmission....and the tow package but not the max tow package.
Plus whatever OEM hitch it comes with.  According to the manual I can tow 9200 lbs.  If I understand correctly I cannot really tow that much safely full time and I need to consider payload, passenger weight, tongue weight and etc, etc, and etc.

Its only going to be my wife and I mostly.  Occasionally it might be a couple of grandkids.  We usually travel light and we are not looking for something huge

I am thinking that we should look for a trailer in the 4-5000 lb range or so?  Does that sound right?  Would 6000 lbs be pushing it.

If we are looking at trailers 10 or so years old what size would a 5000 lb be on average?

Thanks for any advice.

Safety is critical when towing an RV Trailer. This training video discusses the importance of understanding a Truck's ratings and how these ratings limit the size of the trailer that can be safely towed. You will be provided the tools and basic understanding needed to assist your endeavor to properly match a truck and trailer, so that you can enjoy RVing safely.

http://rvsafety.com/rv-education/matching-trucks-to-trailers

You should be fine with a 6000 lb trailer towed behind your present truck.  You're thinking is good.  Buying a starter trailer and using it now will give you experience you can use later whenf you decide to upgrade.  After a couple years of trips, you'll get a feel for what you'd like to have later when you spend more time on the road.  You'll learn your preferences for floor plans,  what you really need to take with you when you travel, how much space you need and such.  Good Luck!!

SeilerBird said:
Are you going to be towing on flat land or in the mountains?

Midwest.....Southeast......Texas are planned initial destinations.

Although being a big "North by Northwest" fan I have always wanted to see Mt Rushmore but that is not on the initial list.

Thanks,

CWSWine said:
Safety is critical when towing an RV Trailer. This training video discusses the importance of understanding a Truck's ratings and how these ratings limit the size of the trailer that can be safely towed. You will be provided the tools and basic understanding needed to assist your endeavor to properly match a truck and trailer, so that you can enjoy RVing safely.

http://rvsafety.com/rv-education/matching-trucks-to-trailers

Thanks for the info.  The video was helpful.  I have been thru several "calculators" and some do vary.  I guess what I am asking is this....I have done my calculations and based on the info I provided does it sound reasonable?  I was being conservative but was I too conservative?  Or not conservative enough?  Or is more info needed?

Thanks,

Welcome to the Forum!

First, thank you for knowing enough to ask the question!!!!  You are basically correct.

That 9200# tow rating assumes a basic truck with very few options, a full tank of fuel, 2 passengers at 150# each, and NOTHING ELSE!!  You must deduct for the weight of all options, additional passengers, any cargo in the cab or bed of the truck, your wife's purse, and anything else carried by the truck.  Note also that 8000# of brick will tow very differently from a 6000# TT!

Your calculations are indeed conservative, but very reasonable.  That TT is a big sail behind a fairly light truck (compared to a 2500 or 3500). 

One other note is you will need a trailer brake controller if it was not included in the tow package.

Enjoy the search.  Read lots of posts and Library articles.  Ask lots of questions.

Back
Top Bottom