Seal in the bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This is the time of year when we see wayward seals in the California Delta. They wander upriver from San Francisco Bay, and we'll see one or more seals diving for fish in the bay behind the house. They surface only briefly, and dive again, making it tough to snap a pic. When they get a fish (like a large striper), they'll surface to 'smash' the fish on the surface; They'll then eat the stomach of the fish, and leave the rest for the birds.

Wish I had Seilerbird's patience and photographic skills so I could snap some pics.

Patience is the key more than skills. I usually pick a spot that I think they are going to surface at and point my camera there and wait. First I watch to see how long they spend underwater to get an idea as to when they are going to be coming back up. Other than that it just takes luck. I have spent many hours at Morro Bay waiting for an otter or a seal to pop up.

When I used to scuba dive periodically a seal would swim right up to me and blow bubbles in my face. I was never fast enough to capture that one even though I always had a camera with me.

Patience is the key more than skills

Aye, I don't have your patience. Remember that I'm a P & S shooter.

I usually pick a spot that I think they are going to surface at and point my camera there and wait.

That wouldn't find them.

Other than that it just takes luck.

Aye, you're right.

When they dive they usually surface around ten feet from where they went under. It is the cormorants, grebes and coots that swim a long way underwater that are hard to predict.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom