EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Price for Towing Install  (Read 1309 times)

Bagelboy

• ---
Price for Towing Install
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
Just got an estimate from Camper World for our Toad. We have an '05 Honda Odyssey. With the tow bar, base plate, brake activator, and all else needed, the estimate was for $4300. The parts were about $2600, and the labor is about $1300, plus tax. Just seems really high, but I don't really know who else in my area who installs these cheaper. Is this an average price for this setup?
2016 32' Holiday Rambler Vesta.                                                 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad)

wincom6

• ---
Re: Price for Towing Install
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »
If you know a good car mechanic, my personal advice is to down load the instructions from Blue Ox and see if he wants to do the job.  Itís not that difficult and Iím sure he will do just as good of job and maybe better than Campingworld.
U.S. Army Veteran
2008 Providence
2013 Chevy Equinox
Pittsburgh, PA
"Congressional term limits in my lifetime."

Greg Barker

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:47:15 AM »
Camping world did mine a couple of years ago, it was around 3,400. Did you have any input on parts? Or did you just let them pick for you?
Greg & Kristina
2016 Winnebago Sunstar 31 KE
2015 Toyota Tacoma 4wd
Rocklin California

Bagelboy

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
They told me they would put a package together with all of the best equipment possible.
2016 32' Holiday Rambler Vesta.                                                 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:33:55 AM »
That's on the high side and they aren't doing you any favors. Check around your area for a professional hitch shop - even the smallest cities usually have them.

Here's a rough new parts estimate:
Top quality tow bar with accessories: $750
Base plates: $400
Toad brake system: $1100
Toad lighting kit: $75
Total: $2325

Installation labor: 6-8 hours @ $85-$120 per hour = $960 (worst case)

If there is a sales tax, that could easily add $175-$225 to that.

CW is probably charging the high end of the labor rate scale and near full MSRP on the parts.  You can save money buying at least some of the parts yourself, e.g. there is no "installation" of the tow bar so you can easily DIY once the base plates are on the toad. But a pro hitch shop probably charges a lower labor rate and might give you a package price on the parts as well, so check around.

If you mention your location, maybe someone here will have a suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:35:39 AM by Gary [ RVer Emeritus] »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »
Just got an estimate from Camper World for our Toad. We have an '05 Honda Odyssey. With the tow bar, base plate, brake activator, and all else needed, the estimate was for $4300. The parts were about $2600, and the labor is about $1300, plus tax. Just seems really high, but I don't really know who else in my area who installs these cheaper. Is this an average price for this setup?

I had our setup installed by CW because, frankly, I didn't know where else to go, and yes, it was expensive.

Found out after the fact that there is a place ("Cliff's Welding", Mesa, AZ, outstanding reviews) not too far away that could have done the job for at least $1500 less. Have driven by the place a dozen times but based on their name had no idea they did this kind of work (I pointed that out to the owner later). Based on this Gary's advice of a professional hitch shop is excellent (as usual!). Perhaps not all, but at least some of them will be familiar with base plate/wiring/braking installs, and I would guess they will source the materials cheaper if you don't source them yourself.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
In another very recent post, the OP bought the components and his regular mechanic did the base plate, brake and lighting install for 4 hours labor at about $60 or $75 per hour.  No parts markup.

Just a thought.
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Massmerch

• ---
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:22:08 PM »
That seems on the high side...we just got our towing set up installed for our 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for $3,400.  That was for a Blue Ox tow bar, a base plate, Air Force 1 braking, and labor.  I would do some additional pricing elsewhere for piece of mind.
Randy
2005 Itasca Horizon 40 KD
2016 Jeep Unlimited
Hesperia, Ca.

jubileee

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:19:57 AM »
I've installed six base plates over the years. Four on friends vehicles and two of my own. Took me 4-8 hrs for complete job, lights, and brakes depending on vehicle and I'm not a professional. I found the Roadmaster base plates easiest to install all though it might have just been the vehicle type. I think Gary hit the labor spread right on the money.

Bagelboy

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. I will definetly check into local welding and towing businesses.  CW just doesn't seem to have good reviews for running their business in my area, so I don't know if I really want them to work on my RV anyway.

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »
I mentioned this recently in another thread.  You could also try a local body shop.  I had my local body shop install my Blue Ox base plate and tail light wiring system.  I had bought the parts from PPL and was going to install it myself, but decided it was more than I was up to.  Total labor bill was around $300 ($55/hr shop rate)
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

robertusa123

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »
Camping world is all way high on their pricing.    Try a local trailer shop.   I would pass on the welding shop.   You cant weld a trailer hitch like they did in the old days.   Its all bolt on.   
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:36:01 PM by robertusa123 »
1996  26ft. 3 kids 2 dog and the wife too

Bagelboy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »
Just found out from my mechanic that my Honda Odyssey might not be the best car to tow. I don't wish to buy another vehicle, but I don't really want a tow dolly. Looks like I have some decisions to make.....

Hosted by Over The Network