heat pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odieyodie

My new winnebago journey  36m has two heat  pumps on the ceiling. The manual states that at 5 to 7 degree temperature difference between the inside ACTUALl temp and the inside SET temp the propane furnaces will kick on.  This doesn't happen what could be wrong. I am 50 amp shoreline

When you say doesn't kick on, do you mean not even the fan comes on in either furnace?

Couple of things to check -

Run each zone up well beyond 7 degrees, give it a minute, and listen to see if the furnace starts.

Switch the thermostat from ELEC to GAS on either zone and listen for the furnace to start.  Then try the other zone.

None of these system react instantly so you have to give each setting change a few minutes for the fan to cycle, etc.  even on the heat pumps.  Once the heat pump quits blowing air you should still have air coming from the furnace if set to GAS.  If not something is wrong. 

All of the above items have been tried and they work.  The problem seems to be when the temperature drops to the point that the heat pumps can't keep up the propane furnaces are supposed to kick in to assist but they don't. No fan or anything on the propane furnaces the heat pumps just continue to blow cool air.

John Canfield said:
I'm not familiar with heat pump roof airs on newer Winnebagos, can you switch to gas heat? Does it work?

John, I think the thermostat functions the same as with the basement heat pump units

odieyodie said:
The problem seems to be when the temperature drops to the point that the heat pumps can't keep up the propane furnaces are supposed to kick in to assist but they don't. No fan or anything on the propane furnaces the heat pumps just continue to blow cool air.

Do both of your air conditioners/heat pumps have exactly the same thermostat with the same options. Our front heat pump automatically switches to the propane furnace when it can no longer keep up with the heat demand. The rear heat pump does not switch to the propane furnace nor is it designed to do so. The thermostats look similar but the rear thermostat does not have an electric option.

Could this be your problem?

R

I actually had to reset my thermostat once by pulling the little fuse in there and waiting a few minutes.  It just got corrupted or something. I then had to reprogram it to tell it which zone had what (AC, Heat, etc.) You might try that.  By the way, I have this one.  Is that what you have?

Attachments

• Coleman_Thermostat_833D331__16704__58954_1329501209_1280_1280.jpg
    Coleman_Thermostat_833D331__16704__58954_1329501209_1280_1280.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 33
Does the lp furnace work when you set the mode to gas?

On my unit I believe the gas is only controlled by zone 1, which is the front unit.

odieyodie said:
All of the above items have been tried and they work.  The problem seems to be when the temperature drops to the point that the heat pumps can't keep up the propane furnaces are supposed to kick in to assist but they don't. No fan or anything on the propane furnaces the heat pumps just continue to blow cool air.
Then I would suspect a bad thermostat, but you would need to check voltages on its leads. What model is the thermostat? (pop the cover off and see if there's a model #.)

In some systems the trigger from the heat pump to the LP furnace is actually in the zone controller, which is typically located with the heat pump in roof mount systems. That's the way it was done in the Atwood Comfort Control System t-stat in my previous coach (not a Winnie).  Not sure about basement a/c.

For basement air, the thermostat has the logic to call for first and second stage AC, call for heat pump (both compressors run), and call for second stage heat. The control board on the basement air package contains circuitry to react to the calls from the thermostat (start the blower, compressors, reversing valve, etc.)

I believe my house HVAC works very similarly (both coach and house have an ecobee smart thermostat.

For multiple roof airs, I haven't a clue what calls what and where the logic resides.

Back
Top Bottom