Zune a flop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I looked at the highly touted Zune while in Best Buy today. I was considering a replacement for my Creative Jukebox III. The Zune is definitely not as user friendly as the iPod Nano I recently bought for Chris. I don't understand what all the fanfare is about. Looks to me like they forgot the user in the user interface.

As someone who's been known to be an early adopter of technology, I sure didn't adopt this big flop.

BTW remember that I'm a PC/Win user, not an Apple user, so please don't think I'm biased towards Apple. Also note that I judge products by how intuitive they are to use, not by their marketing hype. When asked, I previously failed to adequately describe the iPod that I found so intuitive to use.

As I've often said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, what seems like design elegance to me, may appear to be "un-techie" to someone else. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm also aware that my needs/expectations for/of a product might be different from someone else's.

Tom,

I spent the better part of an afternoon the other day helpng a friend get his Zune set up.  The software is pretty good and perhaps geared more to an entry level portable music user.  The management software does not have the intricate menu structure of iTunes.

As for the device, the interface controls are similar the functions are not identical to iPod and I seem to recall a second interface button on the device.

My biggest concern for Zune is the plastic case.  Not that iPod is ruggedly built, but Zune appeared to be a little more vulnerable.

Also the Zune my friend got looked like army surplus and did not have the pleasing eye catching design of iPod.

Overall quality and ease of learning was pretty good.  I was able to work the entire system after a couple of hours, whereas Itunes took me a coupe of weeks to figure out and I'm still learning :-[

Mike and I set up Zune displays at a lot of stores (Best Buy, WalMart, Office Depot). As we were putting out the demo units, I thought "These are not going to make it." They were big and bulky compared to other units on the market. Maybe they can do a lot more but there was just something missing.

Thanks Steve. As is so often the case, my perception might have been influenced by a bad store display model. But "army surplus" isn't a bad description.

Interesting Wendy. I thought I was alone in my observation, but it appears that this may not be the case.

Most of the reviews of the Zune have been lukewarm at best.

Back
Top Bottom