Need new refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arby49

While my coach was in the shop for repairs to the slides, found that the refrigerator was leaking, and severely rusted on the backside.  Rather than band aid it, decided to replace.  Now for the problem.  I am looking for a residential refrigerator for an RV that will fit into the space allotted.  It appears the previous owner replaced it already, because it is not the model that comes with the coach.  Any suggestions about where to look?

Get the size of the hole and go here.  They show the size and power consumption for every one they have.  https://www.ajmadison.com/refrigerators/

Thanks for the feed back.  Can these be used in an rv?  I did not see any way to keep the door closed while traveling.  If I can find one locally, I will go see tomorrow.

'

When our OEM Norcold 8 cu ft fridge started failing, we replaced it with a 10 cu ft Haier residential fridge from Home Depot that was a near perfect fit for the existing opening. I modified a couple of common window latches to secure the doors while under way.

Attachments

• 2015-12-03 15.00.52.jpg
    2015-12-03 15.00.52.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015-12-03 14.59.36.jpg
    2015-12-03 14.59.36.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 2015-12-03 14.59.54.jpg
    2015-12-03 14.59.54.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 42
You probably have to add some gadget to keep the door closed on rougher road or sharp turns.  A couple eye bolts and a bungie cord is one simple way, but there are various methods using child-proof latches, hook & eye, etc. Many creative solutions.

You may want to add an inverter (and maybe more battery) if you expect to be without shore power for more than half a day or so. The fridge will stay cold for hours if the door isn't opened, but it doesn't last forever.

As an alternative to replacing the entire fridge, you can install a replacement cooling unit in the existing fridge. The fridge has to come out of its hole to do that, but once accessible the changeout is easy enough. It's a simple bolt-on replacement.

Back
Top Bottom