Emergency Use of Car Headrests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

Click on the picture for an explanation.  Thought this was interesting.  Let's hope no one ever has to use this knowledge.

Linda

Attachments

• headrest.jpg
    headrest.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 150
I have seen that before, but the headrests in many cars are NOT detachable. So...

But here is a fact.. And you can easily verify it (Watch a Safelight commercial where the technician is installing the windshield on a car)

Windshields are simply SET IN to a rubber gasket with a bit of adheasive to both seal and hold.. It is fairly easy to push it back out.. Feet work for this.  Very little chance of the glass breaking unless it is already cracked.

You really need to check with Snopes before spreading BS as obviously wrong as this.

http://www.snopes.com/car-headrests-emergency-escape/

Tom, it does say "not deliberately designed" but I know in my car mine are sharp and probably could break a window. That would mean me remaining calm enough to get headrest off and remembering in the first place.

jackiemac said:
Tom, it does say "not deliberately designed" but I know in my car mine are sharp and probably could break a window. That would mean me remaining calm enough to get headrest off and remembering in the first place.
Yes but how often have you been trapped inside a car and the door releases all failed at the same time? It is just a solution to a problem that does not exist.

We had tactical flashlights with a tiny steel ball attached on the end cap for breaking vehicle side and rear windows. Now I've seen them in stores for sale. Good to have especially if you live near water, such as the canals in florida.

SeilerBird said:
Yes but how often have you been trapped inside a car and the door releases all failed at the same time? It is just a solution to a problem that does not exist.

It's not just door releases, Tom. In an accident (crash, actually) damage can occur such that no door will open, especially if the car is on its side blocking one side from opening with damage on the other side. Doesn't happen often to any particular person, but if you need it ONCE...

If you're really concerned, keep a spring loaded punch in your center console. Nothing has been invented that will take out a side window faster.

Larry N. said:
It's not just door releases, Tom. In an accident (crash, actually) damage can occur such that no door will open, especially if the car is on its side blocking one side from opening with damage on the other side. Doesn't happen often to any particular person, but if you need it ONCE...
How often does this happen? Windows can be rolled down pretty easy.

I gave each one of the guys  on my ladder truck spring loaded center punches for Christmas one year. They will take out side and rear windows, usually with one pop. Windshields are two pieces of glass with a sheet of plastic laminated between them to prevent them from shattering during a wreck. Standard procedure for a vehicle extrication was to stabilize the car and then take out every window not already broken before you started cutting, braking, or otherwise tearing asunder. The center punch made quick work of the windows and if needed, the windshield was cut out with a sawz-all. With electric windows and door locks becoming the norm, it's not unusual to be unable to lower the windows if the impact was enough to interrupt the power from the battery.

Let's hope none of us is never in the position of needing any of these things, but at least we know of the options out there if we do. I think the punch sounds like a good idea,  after all, we all have insurance and that's just another type of insurance  :D

SeilerBird said:

Happens all the time...hence most first responders have these available:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_rescue_tools

First of all, don't believe everything you read on Snopes and Wikipedia. Both highly edited sites.

Patnsuzanne said:
I gave each one of the guys  on my ladder truck spring loaded center punches for Christmas one year. They will take out side and rear windows, usually with one pop. Windshields are two pieces of glass with a sheet of plastic laminated between them to prevent them from shattering during a wreck. Standard procedure for a vehicle extrication was to stabilize the car and then take out every window not already broken before you started cutting, braking, or otherwise tearing asunder. The center punch made quick work of the windows and if needed, the windshield was cut out with a sawz-all. With electric windows and door locks becoming the norm, it's not unusual to be unable to lower the windows if the impact was enough to interrupt the power from the battery.

Excellent points.
Windshields are considered a structural part of the vehicle. It is constructed as a laminated safety part consisting of glass and plastic. Meant to relatively protect you from airborne objects such as rocks thrown from the vehicle in front of you.
And trying to kick one out is not as easy as you see in the movies. It's like trying to pull two pieces of Eternabond apart! That's why glass replacement companies cut them out with piano wire.  The windshield is considered in the structural integrity of the roof of the vehicle.

And I don't remember the last time I literally "rolled" down a window. Think about it.

If worried about getting out in an emergency, a tool to get out through a side window is best bet. Depends on the situation.
I do agree...lets pray none of us find ourselves in that situation.

SeilerBird said:

I was thinking the same thing.  ;D

Then I thought what if the door got deformed but the window didn't break?
That would be a case to break a window by what ever means available.

But I also agree - How often does that happen.

And before someone says it only takes one time.  We can't be prepared for EVERYTHING all the time.  Just won't happen.

RedandSilver said:
And before someone says it only takes one time.  We can't be prepared for EVERYTHING all the time.  Just won't happen.

If the cost of this situation only cost you $10.00 to possibly save the lives of one or more of your family, worth it to you?

Back
Top Bottom