San Diego Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are looking for a place to stay while touring the San Diego area and don't need to be near the ocean I can recommend the San Diego Metro KOA in Chula Vista.  We stayed there this past September and found it very convenient.  We were there during the hot spell in late September and the place was jammed.  It seems to be a popular weekend destination park although we only used it as a place to crash after a day of touring.  The staff was very helpful and efficient.  Check it out.  Happy RVing everyone.

campland on the bay, or through Reserve america: San clemente SB (furthest from San Diego), San elijo SB, Silver strand SB, The KOA mentioned above in Chula Vista

We stayed in Mission Bay RV park. It's big with beach access and close to the Gaslight district. The spots were quite close together and it was our 2nd time of parking and it was a bit tricky due to some small trees. Friendly staff and security guards on gate. A fairly typical RV park. We stayed for 3 nights then went up into the mountains  to Paso Picacho State Park which was lovely.

We enjoy Silver Strand SB. It's right on the beach if that's what you're looking for. But it's not cheap, it's essential a big parking lot with electric hookups AND they lock the gates at 7 pm and while you can walk in or out, you cannot drive in or out at night. I would recommend Mission Bay or Chula Vista RV Resort if you're going to do San Diego tourist stuff.

Wendy said:
Chila Vista RV Resort if you're going to do San Diego tourist stuff.

We've stayed st Chula Vista RV Resort a couple of times. Expensive but nice resort. Right on the bay. Also, Laguna Campground, about an hour north in the hills, is very pretty. Dry camping state park.

SeilerBird said:
I am a bird photographer and my favorite spot in San Diego is Santee Lakes Park. Great fishing too.

http://www.santeelakes.com/

We couldn't get in there as it was a weekend but it did look lovely!

Swee****er Summit Regional Park is on top of a hill, so very nice view.  Also, it is fairly new and the upper (North Loop) sites are full-hookups for $35 per night.  Very well spread apart on large cement pads, which is nice!  No pool or recreation, but it the location is very nice.  Note, that you want the upper campground, not the older lower campground. 

I plan to go back here next fall for at least a week. 

Jack65k: Curious as to where you did stay in San Diego?  Any RV parks with beach access are so expensive, we leave the RV home in Phoenix and stay in motels.  According to RVParky, the Walmarts in Southern California do NOT allow overnight parking.  There are a large number of homeless in SD, living in vans and campers so the city has made it difficult for the visitor. 

I agree with Judy JB. Stayed there last Feb. Stay at the upper lever. Beautiful views at night. Loved our site 114. Yes $35 full hook up. About 18 miles to San Diego water front. Mostly all freeway. Wait until commute traffic is over 9-9:30.  Also when in town, take the on-off Trolley.
Board it all Old Town San Diego, free parking.  Try to park on the water front is a zoo and expensive.

ReservATIONS 877-565-3600.  Tell them you want a view site.

jackiemac said:
We stayed in Mission Bay RV park. It's big with beach access and close to the Gaslight district. The spots were quite close together and it was our 2nd time of parking and it was a bit tricky due to some small trees. Friendly staff and security guards on gate. A fairly typical RV park. We stayed for 3 nights then went up into the mountains  to Paso Picacho State Park which was lovely.

We spent on night at Mission Bay and also liked it, but on my trip last month we stayed a few night at the Escondido RV Resort and were most impressed at how nicely it was landscaped.  It had a nice pool and hot tub, very private sites, good dog runs, and it isn't all that far from San Diego, with just a hop on the freeway.  it is a bit hilly there so when you are walking there keep in mind it is a walk downhill to the office and a hike back up to your campsite.

http://www.escondidorv.com/

We stayed at the Chula Vista RV Resort and throughly enjoyed our stay.  It is a bit pricey ($85/night) but very nice with beach access and fun activities.  Very nice dog walk area and dog wash area.
Jack

We stayed 3 or 4 days at the Chula Vista KOA. Ignore everything you have ever heard about KOAs; this place was great. Roomy sites and lovely landscaping plus easy to get to the popular tourist sites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom