EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: To satelite, or not to satelite, that is the question. With a few others  (Read 3367 times)

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
As I sit here suffering the wintertime blues, the thoughts of adding satellite TV to the RV are dancing through my head. Asking the knowledgeable people here if its worth the cost/trouble? I currently have DirectTV at the sticks & bricks, but am not sure how well it would transfer to the RV. Have heard that I need a separate account for the RV? If that is so, then I think I would prefer the Dish pay as you go account, as we don't camp at all during the winter. I currently have the DTV Genie at home and believe that it won't work in an RV, or with RV DTV antennas, but am not sure of this.

My current thoughts, pending answers to above questions is to sign up for Dish pay as you go, purchase a pathway x2, and tripod and go camping. I have plans to later add a second TV which I understand the Pathway can handle.
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
Re: To satelite, or not to satelite, that is the question. With a few others
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:38:28 PM »
Many RV'ers with either DTV or Dish at home just buy a separate portable dish for travel use, and take a receiver from home with them on trips. There's no extra cost at all then beyond the initial dish purchase. 
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »
We prefer DirecTV.  If you already have it, why also get Dish?  It's easier to have just one.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:01:21 PM »
You don't need a separate account.  I have two HD recorders at home and a SD receiver in the RV.  Works fine until we get 4-5 hundred miles from home - we lose our local channels. 

I could call directv and have them change our location but doing so would mess up the home recorders so I don't.

I think the extra receiver costs $7 a month.

Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
We have DirecTV at home, and just take one receiver from the house, which works well with the Winegard Trav'ler dish antenna on the motorhome. Only one account. We don't get local channels over the satellite, since we leave the other unit at home to record things we want to watch when we get back, but I'm told it's possible to have Direct change the locals you receive, just by making a phone call.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

BarryD

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:44:34 PM »
I too have Direct.  Taking a receiver with us would nice in case the weather as crappy outside.  How do you know what to direction and degree to set the dish to?
USMC

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 12:26:05 AM »
Several ways, but most of the time it's automatic.  When I have to use a manual dish I use a sat finder app on my phone and/or a meter.  But the receiver will also tell you if you go into satellite setup and enter the zip code you are in.  You'll need a compass.  I never bother with a level. 

regval

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 01:16:09 AM »
BarryD, here are some details regarding my method.. Hope it's not too long or confusing.
I use an old 18" round manual satellite dish compatible with Directtv ( not HD). You can get one on line or at a RV store or opt for one of the fancy self-pointing dishes. I use one of the receivers from home while on the road. Once I determine I have a clear view of the sky where I will be aiming the dish, a Quick assembly of the dish and I set it on the ground or picnic table. With the tv connected to the direct tv receiver and the receiver connected to the satellite connector in the RV, I go outside and connect the signal meter between the cable coming from the sat dish and the cable going to the outside RV Sat connector. I carry 100ft of coax cable in case I have to set the dish at further away from the RV.

I start adjusting the dish until I get a signal on the in-line meter and check the signal meter on the tv (Directtv signal strength in satellite setup). Once signal strength is above 90% on TV, I disconnect the outside signal meter and complete the Directtv sat setup.
Some links below:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Aspen-500341-Satellite-Finder-Meter/24221565?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1912&adid=22222222227017483351&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40882294112&wl4=pla-78812012432&wl5=9010780&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112549731&wl11=online&wl12=24221565&wl13=&veh=sem

Coax cable connector (example)
http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/coaxial-cable/f-type-connectors/product-asf-20059.php?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ASF-20059&utm_campaign=F-pin%20Coaxial%20Coupler%2C%203%20GHz%2C%20F81%2C%20F-pin%20Female&gclid=CI-pp9Lg5tECFYY8gQodsfYNGw

Direct TV dish pointer web site:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp

Good luck, Reggie
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:20:15 AM by regval »
2005 Forest River TT 27BHSS and 2009 Heartland Sundance 2998RB 5vr
2007 Chev Silverado 2500HD WT crew cab, LB, 6.6L, Allison 6sp, B&W Companion Hitch
Retired Biomedical Engineer
Lawrenceville, GA

"Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, others just gargle."

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 07:07:50 AM »
Ok, back to DirectTV. That leads to another question. All of the satellite antennas I can afford, are SD only, after reading all the threads about DTV dropping SD broadcasts I'm left in a quandary. How do I do this and not have it be just a temporary decision?
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 07:25:01 AM »
Cost wise, the cheapest way to go and have the full DTV HD programming capability would be a manually aimed tripod mounted SWM dish. The only automatic DTV HD capable dishes that I know of are the roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler and the RF Mogul Eagle systems, both in the $1500-$2000 price category plus installation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:31:26 PM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch

BarryD

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »
BarryD, here are some details regarding my method.. Hope it's not too long or confusing.
I use an old 18" round manual satellite dish compatible with Directtv ( not HD). You can get one on line or at a RV store or opt for one of the fancy self-pointing dishes. I use one of the receivers from home while on the road. Once I determine I have a clear view of the sky where I will be aiming the dish, a Quick assembly of the dish and I set it on the ground or picnic table. With the tv connected to the direct tv receiver and the receiver connected to the satellite connector in the RV, I go outside and connect the signal meter between the cable coming from the sat dish and the cable going to the outside RV Sat connector. I carry 100ft of coax cable in case I have to set the dish at further away from the RV.

I start adjusting the dish until I get a signal on the in-line meter and check the signal meter on the tv (Directtv signal strength in satellite setup). Once signal strength is above 90% on TV, I disconnect the outside signal meter and complete the Directtv sat setup.
Some links below:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Aspen-500341-Satellite-Finder-Meter/24221565?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1912&adid=22222222227017483351&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40882294112&wl4=pla-78812012432&wl5=9010780&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112549731&wl11=online&wl12=24221565&wl13=&veh=sem

Coax cable connector (example)
http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/coaxial-cable/f-type-connectors/product-asf-20059.php?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ASF-20059&utm_campaign=F-pin%20Coaxial%20Coupler%2C%203%20GHz%2C%20F81%2C%20F-pin%20Female&gclid=CI-pp9Lg5tECFYY8gQodsfYNGw

Direct TV dish pointer web site:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp

Good luck, Reggie

Great.  Thanks for the information.
USMC

docj

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »
Ok, back to DirectTV. That leads to another question. All of the satellite antennas I can afford, are SD only, after reading all the threads about DTV dropping SD broadcasts I'm left in a quandary. How do I do this and not have it be just a temporary decision?

The threads saying that DirecTV is dropping SD broadcasts after 2019 have been based on speculation about what will happen when the primary satellite at the 101 orbital position reaches end-of-life.  There has been no public statement from DirecTV as to what will happen and it isn't at all clear that it will abandon its SD customers.  It's quite possible that DirecTV will repurpose transponders on other satellites, so IMO there's no reason to panic.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
We have a dedicated Dish 612 HD DVR with a upgraded Winegard Carry Out Sat. dish.

I just eyeball North, with a clear view of South, and let it seek the 3 sats.

Works Great.. 90% of the time.

The other 10% is Dish's Customer & Tech support. That's anuther whole story  :(
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

mypursuit

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
If surrounded by trees an app on your phone like SATFINDER works well.  By using the app
and the camera on your phone you can get a clear picture of any thing that might block the signal.
1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit     2008 Ford Focus
P-30 / 454 Chevy w/ Stan's Headers, ceramic plug wires, cold air intake and K-N Air cleaner
Home Port Whidbey Island Washington
U.S. Navy 1970 - 1990
"Truth is the hardest thing you'll find, because you can't change it in the slightest way. " J. Paycheck

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
We don't full time, and I wanted to maintain my DVR ability at home on my local channels. We ended up buying a Wingard Pathfindr II satellite plus a receiver as a package deal from Amazon. We then got the Dish flex package with locals. I have to talk/email chat with Dish representatives when we move sites, but that (while frequently frustrating!) is doable. However we really only watch local news, weather, PBS, and a few shows on major networks. We don't do the sports or movie channels which can quickly become costly. The only real,issue is the power drain of the system while dry camping. We have been using it here in Quartzsite, and it is killing the batteries (2 six volts, 220 amp hours). Guess we will turn if off after watching the evening news and only turn it back on when we need it. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get the antenna re synced and everything downloaded.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Dickie125

• ---
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
NYDutch has it right.  Go online and buy a dish tripod package. Less than 200 dollars for everything you need plus. Then shop Ebay for the latest Aim meter for Directv.  Buy a 50 foot coax and go.  I generally use three items and get setup pretty easily.  First is Satfinder app on my phone.  This finds a clear view spot.  Next I use an Aligh A Site. Which gets me setup almost perfect. Last a pair of walkie talkies so DW can tell me when I hit 80 on the built in signal strength meter.

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
Ok, I'm coming around. Think I will need a new receiver. Not that I can't take mine from home, but would like to leave it connected for scheduled events on the DVR. So I'm looking at this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKETIEW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=TRWMB2V18AL&coliid=IRB953VJHOGEC

I've seen some SL3S and some SL5S, is that a difference I should be concerned about?
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 04:45:42 PM »
We've got DirecTV at home(Genie system with 5 TVs on it) ... and the coach we purchased had a Wineguard Travel'er DirecTV dish already installed.   I ordered an additional HD/DVR from DirecTV (for a one time charge of $200).   The additional DVR is installed in the coach - and shows up on my bill as a whopping $7.00 charge each month as simply an "additional receiver".   When we're on the road - we get the same programming we get at home (minus our "local" channels).   We make an effort to keep the DVR's 200 hour buffer more or less filled with current movies / shows we're interested in for those times we're parked in/around trees and can't get the satellite to lock on.  It's the best of both worlds.   
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

Ale_Brewer

• ---
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »
All good info here. I'm currently thinking of purchasing a Winegard Trav'ler for the new TT. My last one I just used the carry-out manual aim plastic one you set on the ground. It worked well but it took some time to get aimed and it was only SD. Now I am looking forward to HD and auto-aim. I currently have DirecTV at home and we used to just grab a box from the guest bedroom when we went on trips but now we have since upgraded to the Genie system and I think I will have to get an extra receiver for the RV to be used as a stand-alone. I had no idea that you wouldn't get local channels when out of town though. Now I have to figure out what the best course is. Why does it all have to be so complicated? Why can't we just buy the dish, rent the receiver, and everything be the same in the RV just like we were sitting on the couch at the sticks and bricks?
Curtis & Melissa
2013 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
2016 Solaire 247RKES GT3
Equal-I-Zer 10k

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »
Many places you'll go, you'll likely have the locals available over the air.
Dutch

docj

• ---
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
I had no idea that you wouldn't get local channels when out of town though.

We have DirecTV with a Winegard Trav'ler and have DNS (Distant Network Services) which fpr $15/mo provides us the major network feeds from NY City regardless of where we are.  The Genie DVR remains set to those channels so we don't have to reprogram it in different cities.  No we don't watch the NY news, but we wouldn't watch local news in strange cities, anyway.  Local weather and news are easily obtained on the internet;  we have no need for local TV.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Ale_Brewer

• ---
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 09:36:44 PM »
I really have no need for local TV as well for news and such, as my main concern deals with sports events that happen on local channels only, such as Cowboys games and golf tournaments. If I don't get local channels (my local channels) when on the road with satellite, would I at least get local channels in regards to where I'm parked?
Curtis & Melissa
2013 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
2016 Solaire 247RKES GT3
Equal-I-Zer 10k

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »
To get the locals for where you are, you would have to contact DTV and have them change your service address to your current location. I don't know if DTV has any restrictions on doing that or not. Dish does not. Any receivers you leave at home though, will lose the locals for that area when you make the change. That would only matter if you have recordings set up at home for local channels.
Dutch

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »
When we were headed to the Grand Canyon last spring and discovered that we'd have no cell or internet for 5 months, we stopped and bought a Dish receiver and a Tailgater antenna.  I love just having to eyeball openings in the trees and south and letting the unit do the rest. 
To get local channels I just call Dish customer service and update our location.  For 1 or 2 night stops, I often don't call and just watch the higher channels.

When we bought our new coach it had a Winegard in-motion antenna attached to the roof.  Was a matter of removing the dome and flipping a couple of switches to convert from Direct to Dish and it works fine with the VIP211 receiver we bought last summer.  I was going to sell the Tailgater, but we ended up just buying a second receiver and using the tailgater for the rear TV.  Only cost $7/mo for the second box, and keeps the DW happy when I start watching car shows on the main TV.

Biggest problem we had was switching local channels before I canceled my home service.  They kept getting the 2 accounts confused and a couple of times it took 2 calls to Dish to get it straight.  Now that I'm down to 1 account that problem is gone.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »
Checking back as the OP.

So I've made my decision, I will purchase a manual SWM antenna, and a DVR receiver from DTV, set it up at home, and fill the DVR before leaving for our summer vacation. That way I'll have things to watch for 1 night stays, or if I can't find a satellite. 
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

Buckeye4692002

• ---
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
Before making the investment you might try streaming.  If you'll have access to a cellular network you can save some money!

We have DTV on our coach (as well as at home) and love it.  The in-motion dish was on the coach when we purchased it.  We spent less than $200 on the receiver and pay $7 / mo.  With that said, we won't install it on our next coach because streaming works so well!

AT&T (owner of Direct TV) has announced plans to phase out satellites and boxes (see link below) in favor of streaming over the cellular network.  Additionally, they have already introduced unlimited streaming of DTV content over the AT&T cellular network for DTV subscribers without using your data plan.  As a result you can buy the $40 cord and plug your phone into the TV's HDMI port or your switch box and watch all you want. 

It works great as long as you have cellular service!   

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/techflash/2016/09/report-at-t-has-set-a-timeline-to-phase-out.html
2009 Damon Daybreak 3370

RobReab

• ---
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »
Just a heads up that many phones don't support HDMI out cables. Check your specific phone before committing. - Rob
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:51:41 AM by RobReab »
2006 31' Holiday Rambler Atlantis SE Ford E450 Gas
Towing a 2006 Camry/Master Tow dolly

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 12:19:24 PM »
Yea, I just checked my phone, a Samsung Galaxy J3, and it doesn't support HML connections. The other thing is that there are just so many places in the good old USA with little or no cell phone service, but the satellites are all there, if you can see to the south.
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »
If your phone can do Wi-Fi and Cell at the same time.. You can "Cast" it to your TV.

There are several ways to do this.. If it can suport USB and Wireless" (Cellular) at the same time, there are even more ways.. The tastiest of which is Raspberry Pi.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 07:29:56 PM »
The tastiest of which is Raspberry Pi.

I use a Pi 3B to run OpenElec.  It works better than any other computer I've tried, including a gaming laptop that has a monster processor, gaming video card and 16GB of ram, a Mac mini, or a Dell micro-desktop.

Are you using the Pi for casting or using the other computer as a network drive to store content?

Just curious.

Hosted by Over The Network