To satelite, or not to satelite, that is the question. With a few others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadixon49

As I sit here suffering the wintertime blues, the thoughts of adding satellite TV to the RV are dancing through my head. Asking the knowledgeable people here if its worth the cost/trouble? I currently have DirectTV at the sticks & bricks, but am not sure how well it would transfer to the RV. Have heard that I need a separate account for the RV? If that is so, then I think I would prefer the Dish pay as you go account, as we don't camp at all during the winter. I currently have the DTV Genie at home and believe that it won't work in an RV, or with RV DTV antennas, but am not sure of this.

My current thoughts, pending answers to above questions is to sign up for Dish pay as you go, purchase a pathway x2, and tripod and go camping. I have plans to later add a second TV which I understand the Pathway can handle.

Many RV'ers with either DTV or Dish at home just buy a separate portable dish for travel use, and take a receiver from home with them on trips. There's no extra cost at all then beyond the initial dish purchase. 

We prefer DirecTV.  If you already have it, why also get Dish?  It's easier to have just one.

ArdraF

You don't need a separate account.  I have two HD recorders at home and a SD receiver in the RV.  Works fine until we get 4-5 hundred miles from home - we lose our local channels. 

I could call directv and have them change our location but doing so would mess up the home recorders so I don't.

I think the extra receiver costs $7 a month.

We have DirecTV at home, and just take one receiver from the house, which works well with the Winegard Trav'ler dish antenna on the motorhome. Only one account. We don't get local channels over the satellite, since we leave the other unit at home to record things we want to watch when we get back, but I'm told it's possible to have Direct change the locals you receive, just by making a phone call.

I too have Direct.  Taking a receiver with us would nice in case the weather as crappy outside.  How do you know what to direction and degree to set the dish to?

Several ways, but most of the time it's automatic.  When I have to use a manual dish I use a sat finder app on my phone and/or a meter.  But the receiver will also tell you if you go into satellite setup and enter the zip code you are in.  You'll need a compass.  I never bother with a level. 

BarryD, here are some details regarding my method.. Hope it's not too long or confusing.
I use an old 18" round manual satellite dish compatible with Directtv ( not HD). You can get one on line or at a RV store or opt for one of the fancy self-pointing dishes. I use one of the receivers from home while on the road. Once I determine I have a clear view of the sky where I will be aiming the dish, a Quick assembly of the dish and I set it on the ground or picnic table. With the tv connected to the direct tv receiver and the receiver connected to the satellite connector in the RV, I go outside and connect the signal meter between the cable coming from the sat dish and the cable going to the outside RV Sat connector. I carry 100ft of coax cable in case I have to set the dish at further away from the RV.

I start adjusting the dish until I get a signal on the in-line meter and check the signal meter on the tv (Directtv signal strength in satellite setup). Once signal strength is above 90% on TV, I disconnect the outside signal meter and complete the Directtv sat setup.
Some links below:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Aspen-500341-Satellite-Finder-Meter/24221565?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1912&adid=22222222227017483351&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40882294112&wl4=pla-78812012432&wl5=9010780&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112549731&wl11=online&wl12=24221565&wl13=&veh=sem

Coax cable connector (example)
http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/coaxial-cable/f-type-connectors/product-asf-20059.php?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ASF-20059&utm_campaign=F-pin%20Coaxial%20Coupler%2C%203%20GHz%2C%20F81%2C%20F-pin%20Female&gclid=CI-pp9Lg5tECFYY8gQodsfYNGw

Direct TV dish pointer web site:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp

Good luck, Reggie

Ok, back to DirectTV. That leads to another question. All of the satellite antennas I can afford, are SD only, after reading all the threads about DTV dropping SD broadcasts I'm left in a quandary. How do I do this and not have it be just a temporary decision?

Cost wise, the cheapest way to go and have the full DTV HD programming capability would be a manually aimed tripod mounted SWM dish. The only automatic DTV HD capable dishes that I know of are the roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler and the RF Mogul Eagle systems, both in the $1500-$2000 price category plus installation.

regval said:
BarryD, here are some details regarding my method.. Hope it's not too long or confusing.
I use an old 18" round manual satellite dish compatible with Directtv ( not HD). You can get one on line or at a RV store or opt for one of the fancy self-pointing dishes. I use one of the receivers from home while on the road. Once I determine I have a clear view of the sky where I will be aiming the dish, a Quick assembly of the dish and I set it on the ground or picnic table. With the tv connected to the direct tv receiver and the receiver connected to the satellite connector in the RV, I go outside and connect the signal meter between the cable coming from the sat dish and the cable going to the outside RV Sat connector. I carry 100ft of coax cable in case I have to set the dish at further away from the RV.

I start adjusting the dish until I get a signal on the in-line meter and check the signal meter on the tv (Directtv signal strength in satellite setup). Once signal strength is above 90% on TV, I disconnect the outside signal meter and complete the Directtv sat setup.
Some links below:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Aspen-500341-Satellite-Finder-Meter/24221565?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1912&adid=22222222227017483351&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40882294112&wl4=pla-78812012432&wl5=9010780&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112549731&wl11=online&wl12=24221565&wl13=&veh=sem

Coax cable connector (example)
http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/coaxial-cable/f-type-connectors/product-asf-20059.php?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ASF-20059&utm_campaign=F-pin%20Coaxial%20Coupler%2C%203%20GHz%2C%20F81%2C%20F-pin%20Female&gclid=CI-pp9Lg5tECFYY8gQodsfYNGw

Direct TV dish pointer web site:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp

Good luck, Reggie

Great.  Thanks for the information.

sadixon49 said:
Ok, back to DirectTV. That leads to another question. All of the satellite antennas I can afford, are SD only, after reading all the threads about DTV dropping SD broadcasts I'm left in a quandary. How do I do this and not have it be just a temporary decision?

The threads saying that DirecTV is dropping SD broadcasts after 2019 have been based on speculation about what will happen when the primary satellite at the 101 orbital position reaches end-of-life.  There has been no public statement from DirecTV as to what will happen and it isn't at all clear that it will abandon its SD customers.  It's quite possible that DirecTV will repurpose transponders on other satellites, so IMO there's no reason to panic.

We have a dedicated Dish 612 HD DVR with a upgraded Winegard Carry Out Sat. dish.

I just eyeball North, with a clear view of South, and let it seek the 3 sats.

Works Great.. 90% of the time.

The other 10% is Dish's Customer & Tech support. That's anuther whole story  :(

If surrounded by trees an app on your phone like SATFINDER works well.  By using the app
and the camera on your phone you can get a clear picture of any thing that might block the signal.

We don't full time, and I wanted to maintain my DVR ability at home on my local channels. We ended up buying a Wingard Pathfindr II satellite plus a receiver as a package deal from Amazon. We then got the Dish flex package with locals. I have to talk/email chat with Dish representatives when we move sites, but that (while frequently frustrating!) is doable. However we really only watch local news, weather, PBS, and a few shows on major networks. We don't do the sports or movie channels which can quickly become costly. The only real,issue is the power drain of the system while dry camping. We have been using it here in Quartzsite, and it is killing the batteries (2 six volts, 220 amp hours). Guess we will turn if off after watching the evening news and only turn it back on when we need it. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get the antenna re synced and everything downloaded.

NYDutch has it right.  Go online and buy a dish tripod package. Less than 200 dollars for everything you need plus. Then shop Ebay for the latest Aim meter for Directv.  Buy a 50 foot coax and go.  I generally use three items and get setup pretty easily.  First is Satfinder app on my phone.  This finds a clear view spot.  Next I use an Aligh A Site. Which gets me setup almost perfect. Last a pair of walkie talkies so DW can tell me when I hit 80 on the built in signal strength meter.

Ok, I'm coming around. Think I will need a new receiver. Not that I can't take mine from home, but would like to leave it connected for scheduled events on the DVR. So I'm looking at this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKETIEW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=TRWMB2V18AL&coliid=IRB953VJHOGEC

I've seen some SL3S and some SL5S, is that a difference I should be concerned about?

We've got DirecTV at home(Genie system with 5 TVs on it) ... and the coach we purchased had a Wineguard Travel'er DirecTV dish already installed.  I ordered an additional HD/DVR from DirecTV (for a one time charge of $200).  The additional DVR is installed in the coach - and shows up on my bill as a whopping $7.00 charge each month as simply an "additional receiver".  When we're on the road - we get the same programming we get at home (minus our "local" channels).  We make an effort to keep the DVR's 200 hour buffer more or less filled with current movies / shows we're interested in for those times we're parked in/around trees and can't get the satellite to lock on.  It's the best of both worlds. 

All good info here. I'm currently thinking of purchasing a Winegard Trav'ler for the new TT. My last one I just used the carry-out manual aim plastic one you set on the ground. It worked well but it took some time to get aimed and it was only SD. Now I am looking forward to HD and auto-aim. I currently have DirecTV at home and we used to just grab a box from the guest bedroom when we went on trips but now we have since upgraded to the Genie system and I think I will have to get an extra receiver for the RV to be used as a stand-alone. I had no idea that you wouldn't get local channels when out of town though. Now I have to figure out what the best course is. Why does it all have to be so complicated? Why can't we just buy the dish, rent the receiver, and everything be the same in the RV just like we were sitting on the couch at the sticks and bricks?

Back
Top Bottom