House batteries charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Canfield said:
Welcome!
Every Winnebago I've heard about will charge the house batteries from the engine alternator.
Unless your battery solenoid is bad which mine currently is.  Waiting for the next warm day to replace it.  Last try I ran into a problem with 19 volt reading from the solenoid studs to ground after I had unhooked the negative battery connections.  Thinking it was the roof top solar panel but that seems like a heck of a lot voltage for that.  Next try I will cover the solar panel with a towel and see if that helps.  There is a circuit breaker for the solar panel but you can't trip it by pushing in.  May also try disconnecting that behind the panel.  Wish me well.  Evidently the battery solenoid has been bad ever since I bought the coach as it has never shown a house battery charge from the alternator.

Bill

John Hilley said:
That would be the unloaded voltage from the solar panel.

Educate me John.  How can I get away from that - do I just short it to ground to discharge it or will covering the solar panel negate the voltage buildup.  In other words what do I have to do to safely remove and replace the battery mode solenoid without having any voltage on the connections.

Bill

I have a write-up on my RV pages of my website showing how I replaced my solenoid. Unfortunately there is no way to shut off the solar panel, about the only thing you could do is cover the panel with some thick cardboard. I would not short it out.

John Canfield said:
I have a write-up on my RV pages of my website showing how I replaced my solenoid. Unfortunately there is no way to shut off the solar panel, about the only thing you could do is cover the panel with some thick cardboard. I would not short it out.
There is a 12 volt solar panel breaker on one of the panels that has to be removed.  If I could either trip that or unhook  one of the leads that might work. But probably easier just to cover the solar panel with cardboard or a towel. Thanks John.

Bill

John Canfield said:
I have a write-up on my RV pages of my website showing how I replaced my solenoid. 

John I can't find this on your website (but a lot of other good stuff). Can you send me a link?  Thanks.

Bill

Thanks John.  You setup looks a bit more complicated than mine and my batteries are very easy to disconnect.  I do have a 12 volt fuse panel mounted covering the solenoid but that is easy to wrestle away - one of the fuses on that panel is the solar panel.  Like the idea of taping the wrenches (even if I do disconnect the batteries).  You solenoid is also quite different and those connections are really close together but mine are on the opposite sides of the solenoid. Thanks for the helpful info.

Bill

Good luck with the project Bill. I'll have to take a picture of some side cutters that had an encounter with 120 VAC  ::) , I try to be a little more alert now.

Back
Top Bottom