2014 tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

We are looking at moving up to a 2014 Tour QD.  It answers many of needs as full timers who want comfort.  This would be our 3rd winny so I believe they are an overall good HH.  Can anyone give me insight to this model?

First owner loaded it with solar panels, 6.  Guess he liked to dry camp.

We have a 2012 Tour and have been very pleased with it. We travel about 4 months a year, we just retired at the end of 2016 so will do even more now. The Tour has everything we need to be very comfortable and has gobs of power when needed. Kev on this site has an 11 Tour and he has solar panels I believe.

42QD is our favorite!  The only downside on the 2014 is the kitchen slide on Schwintek, but it is what it is.

I have been reading on another forum that the slides have been a problem.  Any information here?

Search here using the "Search" item on the Menu line above and look for Schwintek. You will find a lot of comments.

Schwintek is a Lippert product and anything by Lippert is automatically a problem, but beyond that, the heavier kitchen slides have had problems.  They can jam and then strip the gears which costs a rail and some motors, and a frustrating week. 

Mine was replaced by factory reps at the dealer along with a few others the first year, and as I understand they were higher torque motors.  The rails on mine were lowered and an aluminum strip covered the old location.  If you see that on the upper rails on the Tour, they may have already been upgraded.  It is also very possible the guy never had a problem as there are a ton of them out there.  It helps to keep the motors lubed with  CRC dry PTFE Teflon lube using the method on Lippert's maintenance video.

Thanks for the advise and information.  This was enough to make us walk away from the purchase, but I learned from a third party that it was changed to the Power Gear system.  We are ack on track if the road test and final inspection go good.

schoolsout2 said:
Thanks for the advise and information.  This was enough to make us walk away from the purchase, but I learned from a third party that it was changed to the Power Gear system.  We are ack on track if the road test and final inspection go good.
  Very nice!  There were a lot of them that Winnie upgraded to Power Gear back at the factory.

We're huge fans of our 2011 42QD, which was the first year that model was introduced, and it continues to be one of Winnie's most successful floorplans. In 2012 they added independent front suspension, so the 2014 will have that, but that's also when they switched to Lippert (Schwintek) sides. Lots of 42QD owners had trouble with them. If the one you're looking at has been modded back to the Power Gear design, I think that's a good thing. Interestingly, I seem to remember that Lippert (Schwintek) bought Power Gear.

It's a wonderful floorplan, and I think you'll be very happy with it. Our coach hasn't been "trouble-free," but darn near. We're very satisfied with it.

Kev

We just bought a 2016 Tour42QD. We moved up from a 2010 Tour 42AD. We had great luck with the Previous unit and are hoping this one will be as reliable. We love the floor plan. I love the independent front suspension and the 60 degree steering on the new one. I am already contemplating all the mods I want to do to it.

Attachments

• IMG_5981.JPG
    IMG_5981.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 22
Tp:  so far we are loving the floor plan.  Not feeling as cramped as we did.  Former owner did some mods that are working good. 

Fold up shelf next to the chair is very handy, the desk comes out to it.

Attach some pictures of that table if you can Dave. I'm always looking for new ideas.  :) Beautiful new coach Tom. I hope yours ends up being as comfortable and trouble free as ours has been.

Kev 

Thanks Kevin so do I. We have a punch list of Items that need attention. We bought our Tour from Camping World of Tallahassee and live in Massachusetts. The three local Camping worlds in our are all have terrible service reviews. So we brought it to our local Winnebago dealer where we had all our work done on our previous Tour and they say its going to cost me over $1500 (estimated) just for diagnostic time to correct warranty items because Winnebago's warranty doesn't cover adjustments.

So I am not sure what to do. Admittedly I can fix a lot of the things myself like MCD shades and drawer slides, but there are some that I probably cant fix myself like a step cover that won't move and led awning lights that don't work or a broken door lock.

I am wondering if it might make more sense to go back to the factory (1,250 miles) to get all the items addressed?

Anyone gone to Forest City for warranty work?

Kevin:  here is the picture if it post.  If not I will reduce and repost.  Table is 14 x 40 and folds down.  It is supported by locking shelf brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for the pic Dave, and nice looking coach! TPflyer... I have never been to the factory for warranty work or repairs of any kind, but some Forum members who have, have said they're the best. I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. I also think a trip like that would be a good shakedown cruise.   

Kev

tpflyer said:
...I am wondering if it might make more sense to go back to the factory (1,250 miles) to get all the items addressed?  Anyone gone to Forest City for warranty work?
Factory Service is the only place I let do any work on the house unless it's something that needs immediate attention. I only let two Freightliner Oasis dealers touch the chassis - Freightliner of Tolleson (Phoenix) or Freightliner factory service in Gaffney (unless again it's something that needs immediate attention.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom