Magic Chef oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adrianp918

I have a 40' ft camper and i have a magic chef oven inside, i am having a problem when i try to light the oven the pilot light will light up and stay lit for ever but when i try to turn the knob to turn the oven to a set temp...the pilot light seems to get stay lit but the oven wont actually light

Any help would be appreciated

First, welcome to the forum.
Has the oven ever worked OK?
Try this. Light the pilot and once it will stay lit without holding the knob in then set the temperature to 300. As long as the pilot is still lit (very important) , then try lighting the burner with a match or striker.
If this works, then somehow the pilot assembly may have been hit by something and moved it away from the burner.

tried that and it does not light,  seems like no propane is going to the main burner once it is turned to any temp....

adrianp918 said:
tried that and it does not light,  seems like no propane is going to the main burner once it is turned to any temp....

I asked before, did it ever work properly?
One other thing, do the top burners work OK. Can you light all of them so that they are all burning at the same time?
One of the experts will have to chime in now. Shouldn't be too long for a answer.

What is the level of the propane tank?

Is the tank valve opened fully?

Do you have a propane furnace?  If so, does it work?

yes level of the propane tank is full, the stove works as it should i use it all the time, and also the furcance runs like a champ

Take the plate over the oven burner out.  Push back and lift off the front pins. Light the pilot and look. Does the pilot actually look big enough to light the main burner?  Turn everything off, remove the main burner, carefully inspect for plugged holes soak in cleaner. Dry, reinspect for clogged holes reinstal and try again.

I think I see what the problem is. See the metal tab which is holding the bulb on the end of the small tubing, I think that is bent down. The flame should be hitting the small bulb I believe. The gas valve is not opening because of this I think.  The pilot flame should heat up the bulb which in turn will open the gas valve allowing gas to flow.

Rene T said:
Does the pilot flame hit the bulb?

no it does not, but i did try using another flame source to heat the bulb as i thought it would produce the same desired effect and see if it allows the flame to pass and nothing

adrianp918 said:
no it does not, but i did try using another flame source to heat the bulb as i thought it would produce the same desired effect and see if it allows the flame to pass and nothing

The second flame source may not be hot enough to make the bulb react. Is the bracket holding the bulb moveable. Can you bent it up so that the pilot flame is hitting it directly?

Rene_ T no the bracket seems to be very stiff, i see what you are saying about secondary flame source might not be hot enough...

so should the bulb be directly in the flame or close to it cause it is far from the flame

ok so i bet the bracking holding the buld and put it in the pilot flame path as best as i could and still same result

I just checked my oven. It's not the same as yours. Mine is a Atwood. The setup on mine is different. The flame is below the bulb and the very top tip of the flame is just about touching the bulb.  Hopefully there's someone out there who has the same as yours and will chime in on what theirs looks like.

Back
Top Bottom