Researching best 1/2 ton truck for pulling a trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PapaRoe

Ok here it is.  We have been contemplating getting into the RVing, as we are both retired.  We looked at several motorhomes, but have decided that pulling a trailer would be better for us.  I have driven the F150 3.5 turbo, the Toyota Tundra, 5.7, and getting ready to drive the Ram 5.7.  Before anyone ask, I am not interested in a diesel.  We will not be traveling enough to pay $5k, more for it, only a few trips a year.

If I were you I would buy the trailer first and then pick out a truck with a high enough tow rating to pull it. If you get the truck first you will have to shop for a trailer that can be pulled by the truck.

SeilerBird said:
If I were you I would buy the trailer first and then pick out a truck with a high enough tow rating to pull it. If you get the truck first you will have to shop for a trailer that can be pulled by the truck.

I agree with Tom.  Only a very light trailer would suit those vehicles.

You need to check the yellow door sticker weight info and do the necessary calculations to ensure the truck can tow the weight.

Do a search in the library, there are lots of recent posts re weights.

Good luck and stay safe!

Forget the 150 class.  Go get a 2500 series.  You will nevermregret the decision. Better,stronger tires,wheels,frames,axles, and increased carrying capacity.  Cost difference is so little that it will more than be made up in resale

I agree with the above to a point. Research your 1/2  ton to make sure it has the payload capacity to carry the tongue weight of a LOADED trailer. Shop around for trailers and take notes so you know what the GVWR of the trailers you like are. I don't agree that you have to have a 3/4 ton or larger truck or a "very light" trailer. Folks seem to forget 1/2 ton pickups manufactured in the past few years are more capable than a 3/4 ton manufactured 10 years ago. Will you be able to pull a 9000/10000# trailer?-No. Will you be able to pull a 7500# trailer? Most likely. With a 1/2 ton pickup, the one thing I feel that is really important is be careful of the length of the trailer. It's a big sail back there. The more side area the trailer has, the more it will affect a relatively light truck (compared to 3/4 and 1ton trucks) with a softer suspension.

I have been pulling a 28 ft TT with my Dodge 1500 for 12 years.  My TT weighs less than 7000 lbs.  The TT pulls easily and I really like the way a 1/2 rides compared to a 3/4 ton.  As a matter of fact, we like the ride better in our Ram 1500 than in our Honda car so even on trips without the TT, we take the truck.  This past weekend, we averaged right at 12 mpg towing.  I get about 20 mpg when not towing on trips.

Now, if you don't use your truck except for RV purposes, a 3/4 ton will give you more options.

I agree that knowing the weight range of your trailer or buying it first is necessary.  I disagree that you automatically need a 3/4 ton.  The F150 and equivalents suitably equipped with the correct Tow Pkgs., correct engine, tires, and axle ratio etc are more than capable of safely hauling many of today's trailers.  It is not simply half ton vs. 3/4 ton as you need to take the trailer's weight, add the weight of water and propane and everything you"re carrying plus the hitch and the loaded truck and then compare this to the truck's tow capacity.  At the same time you have to look at the truck's payload and compare that to how much you're going carry in the truck and add the tongue weight of the loaded trailer to that weight.  Also look at axle ratings to make sure it can handle tongue weight. There is no way around researching and running these numbers if you really want to know what will work.  If that's too much, then get the heavy duty, but even then you can't be entirely sure as not all the Big 3 are created equal in all the aspects that need to be considered.  Mileage towing and not towing is a lot worse in the 3/4 tons as well.

You might find reading the overviews provided by Car and Driver at this link helpful -- but it is for later year models.

http://www.caranddriver.com/best-pickup-trucks

Linda

It is not a question of can a 1/2 ton tow the trailer. It is about safety. Can it stop the trailer? A 3/4 has much more robust brakes. Can it handle side drafts of wind and semi trucks passing? 3/4s do a much better job because of much stiffer suspension.

What I will add to this, since there is already enough about weights, and trailer first, and so on is, do not automatically rule out a 3/4 ton.  Give it a try.  I will say that when I went to my F-250, everything about my towing felt better.  I was more relaxed, and I knew the truck could handle my trailer.  I started with a 5.4L, then when I got a bigger trailer (and 5th wheel), I went to the diesel.  I'm not saying go diesel (though once you did, you would never go back), I'm saying the 3/4 ton is made for towing.  Just be sure you get the right tool for the job.  The 6.2L in the Ford, 6.0 in the Chevy, and the 6.4L Hemi in the Dodge are all more than capable engines and will serve you well.

FWIW- I towed my current trailer with a 2013 Ram 1500, 5.7. I limited my weight to 8200# and ran right at or just below 12% tongue weight. I had no issues at all. 30 mph side winds, semis, stupid person making right hand turn from left turn lane, it handled it all in stride. Yes, I was right at the ragged edge of being "overweight", but it just proves the capability of 1/2 ton pickups. Seilerbird somewhat said what I said earlier, but slanted towards you needing a 3/4 ton truck. Tom, when's the last time you towed a camper with any pickup? Don't be running down 1/2 tons until you get some experience pulling with one. That's akin to me telling someone that a rrr motorhome drives better than a fff motorhome when I don't have experience with either. The brakes on newer 1/2 tons are more than adequate when pulling a trailer that meets all weight limits and then some.

kdbgoat said:
FWIW- I towed my current trailer with a 2013 Ram 1500, 5.7. I limited my weight to 8200# and ran right at or just below 12% tongue weight. I had no issues at all. 30 mph side winds, semis, stupid person making right hand turn from left turn lane, it handled it all in stride. Yes, I was right at the ragged edge of being "overweight", but it just proves the capability of 1/2 ton pickups. Seilerbird somewhat said what I said earlier, but slanted towards you needing a 3/4 ton truck. Tom, when's the last time you towed a camper with any pickup? Don't be running down 1/2 tons until you get some experience pulling with one. That's akin to me telling someone that a rrr motorhome drives better than a fff motorhome when I don't have experience with either. The brakes on newer 1/2 tons are more than adequate when pulling a trailer that meets all weight limits and then some.
I have never towed a camper with a pickup truck. I did not run down 1/2 tons, I said 3/4s were safer.

Sorry, I probably just read more into your answer than what you said. My point is, a 1/2 ton pulling and carrying a load within it's limits is just as safe. The OP just wants to take a few camping trips each year, not load up a fiver for full timing. A correctly chosen 1/2 ton with a trailer within the trucks capabilities will serve them well.

kdbgoat said:
Sorry, I probably just read more into your answer than what you said. My point is, a 1/2 ton pulling and carrying a load within it's limits is just as safe. The OP just wants to take a few camping trips each year, not load up a fiver for full timing. A correctly chosen 1/2 ton with a trailer within the trucks capabilities will serve them well.
This happens to me a lot on this forum. People respond to things I did not say and tell me I am wrong. I try and write very clearly but still people get all worked up defending a position that I never expressed.

If you plan to use your truck for only a few trailer towing trips per year and the truck will be used as a daily driver, a properly equipped 1/2 Ton truck will safely tow a bumper pull travel trailer as long as the trailer you buy is well within the GVWR capabilities of the truck.  The 1/2 Ton will ride better and get much better fuel economy when not towing than any of the gas 3/4 ton trucks.

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you that we have pulled our 27' TT with a '16 Tundra 5.7 for over 7000 miles this year. Trips from Fla to central Ark, Lake Erie via NC, Va, W.Va, Ohio and back through NY, Penn, Va, NC, SC and Ga; N Ga Mountains and numerous shorter trips around Fl and Ga. The trailer weighs just over 6000lbs load d to camp.  With the Equalizer WD hitch the truck is able to handle the load without a struggle. We haven't been out west to the "real" mountains (yet), nor have we had to contend with 50mph cross winds, but for what we've done, and where we've been, we're very happy with the truck/trailer combination.

First, thanks for asking.

The flippant answer is to drive them all and get the one your wife likes!  ;D

In reality, the answer lies in the payload capacity of the truck and weight of the TT.  Diesel is not needed and hard to find in ? ton trucks.

The calculation is simple.  For any TT, look at the placard on the left front corner or inside a kitchen cabinet that states the gross weight, or GVWR of the camper.  The Tow Vehicle (TV) must have enough payload to carry 10% of the gross weight of the TT (hitch wt) + 80# for a WD hitch + the weight of all passengers, pets, cargo, tools and firewood carried in the truck.

Assuming 520# for passengers and cargo and 80# for the hitch (600# total),  then a 5000# TT will have 500# hitch wt, so the truck needs a minimum of 1100# payload.

A 8000# TT will have 800# hitch weight, so the truck needs a minimum of 1400# payload.

A 10,000# TT will have 1000# hitch weight, so the truck needs a minimum of 1600# payload.

NEVER use the dry wt of the TT, in spite of what salesmen say!  Use only the GVWR.  If you do not carry that much weight, you have a safety margin.  If you do carry that much, you can handle it!

NEVER use a payload weight from published charts or internet sources.  Every truck built since 2009 has a yellow label on the driver door B pillar which states the correct payload for THAT truck as equipped as it left the factory.  Use that number.

You are ahead of the curve asking good questions before purchase!

grashley said:
First, thanks for asking.

The flippant answer is to drive them all and get the one your wife likes!  ;D

You're response may sound flippant, but this is still something to take into consideration.  Even though I tend to jump into something without thinking it through thoroughly (sometimes), we (my wife and I) talk through our final decision.  We knew with our 5th wheel we needed a diesel, but it was a matter of which one.  We drove the Ram as a test drive, drove my Dad's Chevy much more, and owned an F-250 already.  Based on both of our research and trials, we (she) decided she would not have the Chevy.  The Ram just never did feel "right".  But we both were much more comfortable in the Ford. 

I don't intend this to start the brand war, but to make sure you are both comfortable with your final purchase.  Especially if it will be a daily driver while not towing.  The 3/4 ton is a more stiff ride, but we are both comfortable with it.  Just be sure and take all things into consideration before you take the plunge.

SeilerBird said:
This happens to me a lot on this forum. People respond to things I did not say and tell me I am wrong. I try and write very clearly but still people get all worked up defending a position that I never expressed.

That's one inherent problem with the written word, especially on a forum, it's difficult to decipher what one means when it's just there in print. One can't detect emphasis and inflections of the spoken word. I know I write pretty blunt sometimes, but were I speaking the same thing, it would come off completely different.

PapaRoe said:
Ok here it is.  We have been contemplating getting into the RVing, as we are both retired.  We looked at several motorhomes, but have decided that pulling a trailer would be better for us.  I have driven the F150 3.5 turbo, the Toyota Tundra, 5.7, and getting ready to drive the Ram 5.7.  Before anyone ask, I am not interested in a diesel.  We will not be traveling enough to pay $5k, more for it, only a few trips a year.
  I assume your looking at new trucks.
  Go with the highest 3.7 or 3.9 or 4.10 gears ratios.
This ensures they will do a easier job of pulling their max  tow rating.

Most std duty 1/2 ton trucks are limited in how much load it can carry in the bed by their RAWR numbers.
  The Ram for example comes with a very small 3800 RAWR. Depending on cab/options selections it can be  limited to around 1200-1600 lbs for a load in the bed. The 3.90 gear option with the new Hemi 8 speed tranny is a strong towing machine but limited how much weight  it can carry by those small axle ratings.

The F150 has several RAWR from 3600 up to 4800. The F150HD with its 7850 gvwr and 4800 rawr is good for around 2400-2500 lbs in the bed all depending on cab/option selections.
  Lots of selection for the F150 so do your home work.
  Ford advertises the F150 can have up to 3300 lb gvwr based payloads. There is no F150 that can carry 3000 lbs in the bed without exceeding its rawr. GVWR based payloads will have to be spread over the trucks front and rear axles.

I'm not familiar with foreign made trucks but I think the Tundra has around 4200-4400 ?? rawr which is good for up to 1600-2000 lb in the bed all depending on cab and options.

Gm has a NHT package for their 1500 trucks. This gives them a 7600 gvwr and a 4300 rawr for around 2000 lb payload in the bed depending/etc.. Get the 6.2 engine with 420hp/460 lbs torque with the 8 speed tranny. Guys that tow with them say there sure fun to pull their trailers.

The gas 3/4 ton trucks have larger 6000-6500 rawr which is good for around 3100-3300 lbs in the bed all depending on cab and other options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom