Year by year Journey changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiltedpig

Is there a source which describes the notable changes in the Journey for the years 2005-08?

I think the only changes were floor plans and maybe the lengths. AFAIK, the chassis was the same year to year. The big change was about the model year 2010 when diesel engines were required to meet much stricter emission standards - the infamous DEF engines.

If you precisely want to understand the differences, refer to the links Chris provided.

I've looked at many Journey models.  The one thing other than floor plan that has always interested me was the engine.  It seems, at least on the early model years, the default engine was the CAT.  IIRC, the Cummins was an option.  I'm not a diesel person so don't spend much time trying to understand the differences between the two engines.  However, I haven't ruled out a short Winnebago or Itasca diesel for my next coach and I'd like to know how much difference there actually is between a 300 HP Cat and a 300 HP Cummins.  Also, if not much, why the Cummins is an option for some coaches. 

The Cummins ISL was a ~$4k option as I recall on my Horizon, I think the standard Cat was the C-7, less HP and torque. Cat had a C-9 model comparable to the ISL but I have no idea why Winnie/Freightliner didn't offer that engine.  Generally speaking, most decisions like that are always somehow related to money - if Winnebago can save a buck here and there by changing suppliers and/or design requirements, they will do exactly that.

It's all a moot point now since Cat abandoned the RV market and several others. In fact I believe they are only building engines for heavy equipment and maybe large generators.

I think the "stock" engine, at least in the Meridian, was an ISB so I assume the Journey was the same. I had a neighbor with an ISB and he blowed the turbo out several times. Likely with the chipped engine and a 10k tow

True Jeff. I had a 2006 Meridian with the 5.9 ISB, and later a 2010 Journey with the 6.7 ISB.  Interestingly, the Meridian had the Allison 3000.  The Journey had the Allison 2500. I hated the 2500.

I am interested in the replies on this thread.  I have a 2005 Journey with the Cummins ISB and the 2500 trans.  I have owned it 6 years and put on about 30k miles over the 6 years.  I have had no issues other than an EGR exhaust valve over that time.  I tow a 4000lb Ford Edge often over mountain passes.  No real issues although the power isn't stellar, but it gets the job done.  I would love to know what others complaints were more specifically. As of now, I would recommend this coach to anyone.

Steve

The 2500 is a "slimmed down" version of the MH3000.  When I bought the Meridian in 2006 with the MH3000, there was a similar rig parked next to it with the MH2500. At that time, the 2500 was a 5 speed trans, and the MH3000 was a six speed. 

Since I owned the MH3000 first, and then went to the MH2500 the differences were immediately obvious. My 2500 did not shift as well as the 3000.  When pulling a hill of any size the 2500 would "thunk" when down shifting. I could actually feel the coach shake when the shift occurred. The 6.7 ISB was strong enough, but when I crested the hill and backed off the throttle instead of the trans slipping back into the next higher gear, the trans would "hang up" in the current gear, say 2nd or 3rd for 5 to 15 seconds. Even without throttle input the trans hesitated to shift, and the RPM's would climb to over 3000+.  When it did shift, it would slam into the next gear shaking the coach. 

I had it looked at at several different Freightliner dealers, including Gaffney SC at the training center. Each time the diagnosis was that they could find nothing wrong, and that the trans was working "within specs".  The Transynd fluid was checked and was at the correct level, and the filters were changed on schedule by Freightliner.

My personal opinion is that this trans was put forth by Freighliner to manufacturers as a cost saving measure over the cost of the MH3000.  Part of the savings is that the MH2500 does not have "On Board Diagnostics" that is standard  with the MH3000.  The 2500 was installed in a 2010 Journey 34Y, which was 35' long.  My  loaded  weight in the rig, which was "full time" loaded was 28,000# plus the weight of my Jeep which is 5,000#.  Total going down the road was just over 33,000#, which was in spec for the rig. 

I can not and will not condemn the trans in every application. However, I believe that at those weights it pushes the operating limits of that particular trans. 

My current rig has the MH3000 behind a Cummins ISC 8.3 motor with 380 HP and 1050 Ft Lbs of torque.  My rig alone is 37' long, and weighs 33,000# by itself, pulling the same Jeep for a total of 38,000#.  The drive-ability is much better and all the shifting issues are gone.

So I would not tell someone to eliminate a particular rig because of the MH2500 trans.  Just be aware of the issues and decide for yourself if the setup will work you. 

Thanks Marty! 
This 3000 with 8.9 ISL is my first so was curious what you observed. 

Steve N Dee said:
I am interested in the replies on this thread.  I have a 2005 Journey with the Cummins ISB and the 2500 trans.  I have owned it 6 years and put on about 30k miles over the 6 years.  I have had no issues other than an EGR exhaust valve over that time.  I tow a 4000lb Ford Edge often over mountain passes.  No real issues although the power isn't stellar, but it gets the job done.  I would love to know what others complaints were more specifically. As of now, I would recommend this coach to anyone.

Steve

I'm with you Steve...  Being the only coach we have ever owned or driven, we have no comparisons to fall back upon but we have the '07 Itasca Version your coach and have had no issues with the 5.9 ISB/2500 5 speed.  In fact, travel to Mx raises no issues since the engine uses Mx diesel fine and has none of the more recent mods to control the exhaust.  We live at 7500 ft and there are 10,000 ft passes all around us.  Pulling a JK Wrangler over the passes it will barely hold 45-50 mph but most of the switchbacks limit our speed anyway.  On the slightly plus side, the last 2000 miles have averaged 9.2 mpg pulling the Jeep at 65 mph most of the time.  If anything, I'd guess that a longer wheel base would improve the handling perhaps... but it certainly satisfies our part-time needs.  We discuss getting an "upgrade" from time to time but then we think about how much effort and $$ that would entail and quickly drop it.  If we used a coach more often, for longer trips, the urge for more space/slides would probably prevail but not yet.  I've not experienced the transmission issues described above, ever.

Good to hear your rig is running well.  Maybe the issues had something to do with Allison turning the 2500 into a six speed.  I always thought that maybe the problems I experienced had something to do with the software package in the six speed.  I can't say, I am not a trans expert by any means.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom