12 volt cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

I have a tire inflator and I want to extend the length of the cord. Where can I buy a 12 volt power cord, about 12'-15' from a regular store, not via the internet? I do not want the curly type cord.

Any lowes/home depot that sells wire. You will want fairly heavy gauge for long distances for high current equipment.

bobsharon said:
Any lowes/home depot that sells wire. You will want fairly heavy gauge for long distances for high current equipment.

If you get 15' of 12 gauge, 2 wire cord.. you should be fine. 10 gauge would be better

I've used a 14 gauge extension cord and cut the ends off. Used the Black for Ground, and the White & Green twisted together for the Positive... with Butt connectors to hook everything up. ;)

regval said:
I use my jumper cables to extend the reach of the air pump I use. The cables are 16ft and work fine on my 33' fifth wheel.

I for one will thank you very much.
I never thought of using my jumper cables for that and always had to move the truck around to get the air pump able to reach it's battery
so thanks again

Jack L

BIG JOE said:
If you get 15' of 12 gauge, 2 wire cord.. you should be fine. 10 gauge would be better

I've used a 14 gauge extension cord and cut the ends off. Used the Black for Ground, and the White & Green twisted together for the Positive... with Butt connectors to hook everything up. ;)

That scenario ^^^^^^ still only leaves you with a 14ga. extension cord.  Old saying in the electrical trade....."you got one a comin'....and one a goin'.  You could use 20 wires for the positive side of the line, but if you only have one 14ga.wire for the return path of current, you've still just got a 14ga. extension cord.

I've rarely seen a retail store 12v extension that had large enough wire to power anything useful. They all seem to be 18-20 gauge wire, which is only good for a couple amps at 10+ feet. Waste of money if you need to power any sort of pump or compressor. Make your own, as others have described.

Be aware that most 12v utility outlets and lugs are rated for only about 10A anyway, so extended use of an inflator (a like scenario with an rv tire) is probably going to overheat it anyway.

JackL said:
I for one will thank you very much.
I never thought of using my jumper cables for that and always had to move the truck around to get the air pump able to reach it's battery
so thanks again

Jack L
Thanks. I clip the jumper cables on the trailer's battery instead of the truck's battery. This places the connection about half way between the two and I can add air to the trailer tires as well as the truck. Using the jumper cables, there is no voltage loss when the air pump is running. My air pump has alligator clips for power connection as well as the 12V cigarette lighter type.
Reggie

Thanks for all the feedback. Think I will try my jumper cables and see if that works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom