LAKE SUPERIOR TOUR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abilladee

MY WIFE AND I ARE PLANNING A TOUR AROUND LAKE SUPERIOR IN SEPTEMBER.  HAVING A LITTLE DIFFICULTY GETTING INFO ON THE RV PARKS THAT WE SHOULD STAY AT.  CAN ANYONE HELP?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't have direct experience but there are lots of resources on line with reviews.

Here are a couple

http://www.rvparky.com/search?l=Lake+Superior&x=47.723087&y=-86.94071600000001

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/search?query=Lake+superior

Hope you find something nice.  8)

First, hello and a warm welcome to the RV Forum.  We are from Minnesota and can make some suggestions for Minnesota and Wisconsin.  What size is your rig? 

BTW (By the Way) Lake Superior in September can be gorgeous. We hosted a rally near Grand Marais, MN last September.  We might host another one this fall nearTwo Harbors, MN  It's always fun to meet up with other forum members.

Couple of years ago we did same trip.
I can look up more places we stayed if you like but the one that I thought best was Neys Provincial Park.
They have an area that will handle larger coaches, there was 30A power and a water faucet serving the area (make sure water tank full and grey/black empty).
Park was spectacular and the view out our front window was Lake Superior.
https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/neys
Let me know if I can give any more info

We did the entire Lake Superior Circle Tour two years ago.  I have a 5th wheel and another friend followed us around in his truck camper.
Grand Marais was great - huge camping area, but book in advance.
Don't miss Thunder Bay and the peninsula that juts out into the lake and looks back on the city.  There's an overlook that should not be missed.
Pancake Bay on the east side is a wonderful park and the Voyager's Cafe is a great place to eat.

The Provincial Parks are crowded in the summer, but we were always able to get two sites if we booked a few days ahead. 
Bring LOTS of extension cords.  In one park we needed 100 feet of cord to reach the outlets! :eek:

If you're doing the Upper Peninsula of MI part of the loop don't miss Copper Harbor.
Here's a great Planning tool: https://superiorcircletour.com

Ron and Joyce in Florida

Oops!

Don't miss Fort William in Thunder Bay!  We spent two days there and loved it!

Fort William Historical Park
1350 King Rd, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada, P7K 1L7

Ron and Joyce

First of all, the North Shore in Minnesota is loaded with state parks and campgrounds.  Be aware they get very full towards the end of Sept during fall color.  After Labor Day, I don't think you will need reservations as things quiet down.  Weekends could be slightly different.  You don't say how much time you are taking, but there is a lot to see so enjoy your trip.

No help on RV parks but will give this advice:

Take coats and gloves and hats.

Lake Superior is the biggest and deepest and COLDEST lake of all the Great Lakes.
It can snow in Sept especially if on the Canadian side of the lake.

Take bug spray too.

Since you didn't say where you are from, I thought you might need to know this as some people
think it should be warm in Sept yet (and it can be) but very often it turns cold in the north much sooner then in
States that are just a little bit south of the Big Lake.

Hope you have a great time.

I'll second what RedandSilver said about cold.

Used to go camping with my dads side of the family in July and August halfway up the Michigan mitten. I've woken up to frost on the tent.

I've been looking into Lambs resort in Schroeder,MN. Looks great and is right on lake superior.

Mlhagen said:
I've been looking into Lambs resort in Schroeder,MN. Looks great and is right on lake superior.

It's a great spot, but do get a reservation there.  Because of location they fill up and some people book a year in advance.  Just 2 miles further north is Temperance State Park, also right on the lake but look at a reservation there also.  They have 2 campgrounds, one low and on the lake, the other higher elevation but still on the lake.

Many who want to see the N Shore will stay at the midway point and do daily trips.  From Duluth to the Canadian border is about 140 miles and Schroeder is at about mile maker 75.

Back
Top Bottom