Viewing towed vehicle while driving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George Hawkins

Is it possible to view one's towed vehicle while driving? I have 2008 Fleetwood 40' Class A Diesel. The only way I can currently view my towed vehicle (while driving) is by using my 4-way flashers. Side cameras and back up camera work just fine. However, I would like to check on my towed vehicle periodically (while driving) WITHOUT using my 4-ways. I have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System and it works well but there's NOTHING like looking at my toad in real time. I've heard that it is illegal to view a rear camera image while driving. I've also been told (by my service center) that this CAN be done but that my dashboard unit doesn't have the software to do it. Does anyone have any information on this subject.

George & Dee Hawkins (and DK the cat)
2008 Fleetwood 40X
2014 Honda CRV

Interesting problem.  My monitor is focused on my toad/rear traffic constantly.  I also have a 40 foot rig and depend on it for changing lanes.  I would think you can set your monitor for rear views.  If you have one, check your manual.  Good luck and let us know.

Oops...didn't read the whole post.  Haven't heard of it to be illegal while driving, but I could be wrong.  Not sure what the service man is saying about the software...sounds weird to me.

If you could tell us what system you have we may be able to give more specific advice.  Most of these systems is just looking for a 12V switched input to turn on a specific camera,so it may be as simple as spicing a switch in to turn on the rear camera.

Why would it be illegal? It's no different than a rearview mirror on the windshield of a car or pickup? If you can find a wiring diagram you may be able to figure out where the 4 way flasher trigger wire is, then hook it to an add on switch that you can control yourself.

It's not illegal in any state to use an "electronic rear view mirror", i.e. camera display, to view the area surrounding your vehicle. It would only be illegal if you were watching something else on the display, e.g. a tv program.

I would be most surprised if your rear camera doesn't have a manual on switch somewhere. Most rear cameras default to having the rear view on at all times. What appears on the dash display while driving? Anything at all? What brand is the camera and display monitor?

My previous coach had a 3-position selector switch to choose rear camera, GPS display, or a 3rd auxiliary input.

Our dual camera setup has a "Power On" switch that keeps the monitor on continuously. If it's not turned on, putting the coach in reverse automatically turns it on. I have one camera aimed for the view from the center of the toad hood back to infinity, and the other one aimed low for a view from the rear bumper back to the toad windshield. That lower view is very handy for checking on the toad hookup while underway, and for backing in to tight quarters without the toad. There's also a safety issue with the lower camera, in that I can easily make sure there's nothing in the way before backing, especially people or animals.

When I installed my rearview camera I wired it to the tail light circuit instead of the backup lights.  If I want to take a look at the toad, or use it to back up, I turn on my running lights.  At night I disconnect the monitor so it does not stay on continuously.

kdbgoat said:
Why would it be illegal? It's no different than a rearview mirror on the windshield of a car or pickup? If you can find a wiring diagram you may be able to figure out where the 4 way flasher trigger wire is, then hook it to an add on switch that you can control yourself.

Agreed ^^^

My rear camera is on all the time.  Someone tailgating can't be seen in the side rearview mirrors but can be seen via the rear camera.

I just have a switch that turns on my backup camera if not in reverse.  We tow with a dolly and when I bought the auxiliary brake lights, I bought a set that has amber on the front, that way I can see them working in my camera when using blinkers or brakes.

I have a Weldex monitor and one of the menu choices is 'on with key' or something like that.  You may have something similar but it's might take some fishing through the menus.  Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the monitor? Fleetwood?  Whenever I've called them they have been most helpful.

Unfortunately if you don't and you wire it to a switch which feeds it 12v that may back feed into the backup lights but a properly placed diode will fix that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom