Satellite internet or Hotspot connection via mobile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bcky

What is the best option for secured internet connectivity without interruption? We will be traveling the US. Fast upload and download too.
Thanks!

Satellite internet will work in places that cellular won't, but it does require a clear view of the southern sky (no trees in the way). Personally, I gave up using satellite because of repeated equipment problems. But a number of our members have used it successfully for years.

I will share with you what I have found to be the most reliable solution for me.

I use Verizon, seven different devices and routinely use about 30 gigs of data a month.

I have yet to find a location where I do not have service, (there are certainly such places).  I am usually fairly close to an Interstate highway.

I use a MiFi device in the coach.

The downside is that Verizon is not the least expensive way to go.  I spend over $400 per month on Verizon.

We use my Android tablet from Verizon as a hotspot. Most of the time we get 4GLTE speeds. We never use public wifi.

We have three cell based hotspots on board, two with unlimited data and one with a 20GB limit before overage charges. Two use Verizon towers, and one uses AT&T towers. We also have a top of the line Max Amp RV cell signal booster/repeater on board that has kept us online in many areas where we previously had little or no service. Satellite Internet options are very limited, very expensive, and the signal delay (latency) makes it unsuited for any gaming or other usage requiring quick timing. There are currently only two companies offering satellite Internet system suited to RV'ers. One charges about $1,000 for a manually aimed tripod mounted system that can take up to a couple of hours to re-aim each time you move, and the other charges about $6,000 for a fully automated roof top system. Both offer various monthly data caps and price points. Both systems use the Hughes Gen 4 satellite service that will not have full nationwide coverage until a recently launched second satellite is brought fully online later this year.

We use predominantly Verizon via a MiFi unit or a phone. We also have a T-mobile equivalent unit, but their coverage has decreased since they no longer appear to have a roaming contract with AT&T.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom