Using Credit cards for fueling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butch50

A while back there was a discussion on using credit cards at the pumps at truck island at truck stops. I'm curious what credit cards you folks are using.

Yesterday I needed diesel and DEF so pulled in at a busy truck stop. If I don't have the toad along I can usually get through the car/pickup aisles as I'm only 37' without the toad but I had the toad attached. Tried using my credit card and it told me it was an invalid card. I had to go into the story (while truckers were waiting in line) to get the pump started. I had to give them an amount that I wanted to have authorized and then I asked what order to pump the diesel and then DEF (they are all different it seems). The guy behind the counter told me it makes no difference. So it was easier for me to pump DEF first. It wasn't working. I have had trouble in the past getting DEF into my DEF tank. So another trip to the office (truckers still waiting) and was told by the manager that diesel first then DEF. So back to the pump and this worked.

Pulled forward and then went back to the office and got my ticket. Need I say I was at the furthest out pump from the office. I was at pump 23.

I asked them what type of credit card I could get or use to allow me to start the pump from the island. They told me they had a card that I could get to use and then told me what I would need to fill it out. Then they got to the part that I would have to have my DOT recorded by them. I told them that I'm a private rig and don't have a DOT. That was the end of that discussion.

So after talking to them there is no way I can get a card to start the pumps without coming into the office. Seems like a mighty inefficient way to run a fueling station. I tied up that pump for quite a while before I could pump. No only getting bad info but standing in line waiting for them to help me get my preapproved amount. It took me better than 30 minutes to get diesel and DEF and be on my way. In the mean time truckers are getting steamed about it taking so long.

This was at a Love's.

Thanks for any suggestions. I already have a bunch of credit cards so what is one more if it well work at truck stops.

Thanks fro any info you guys can provide.

Well Loves is like that. ::) I try not to use them. I have found if you give them a big number when they ask how much you want, it only charges your card for what you bought.
The only card I know of is the Pilot Flying J card through Good Sam's Club.
https://www.rvpluscard.com/ProgramDetails/
Bill

Well that's pretty odd.  Sounds like they want you to use their card.  I realize you need fuel which can be an issue, but I wouldn't get their card on principle.  I would walk in and pay in advance, and avoid giving them my hard earned money. 

I usually ask my DW to go in while I wait.  I estimate an amount and never had a problem.  In Pilots/Flying J, I use their card and get a discount. NP

I used Chase Bank Visa in 37 States while Motorcycle Touring (Love, Pilot, and Flying J included) between April '01 through Dec '14. This card has always been used at the pump unless the pumps fail. I hate to waste my time and stand in line at the register.

We sold the bikes, purchased an RV in Feb '16 and pulled a six thousand mile trek in the RV in July-August '16 using that same Chase Visa Card. We used it at Love, Pilot, Flying J along with many other stations without issue.

I have several other cards as a stand by, but the Chase Visa is my go to card. By the way it pays back at the end of each year......

WilBoud said:
I used Chase Bank Visa in 37 States while Motorcycle Touring (Love, Pilot, and Flying J included) between April '01 through Dec '14. This card has always been used at the pump unless the pumps fail. I hate to waste my time and stand in line at the register.

We sold the bikes, purchased an RV in Feb '16 and pulled a six thousand mile trek in the RV in July-August '16 using that same Chase Visa Card. We used it at Love, Pilot, Flying J along with many other stations without issue.

I have several other cards as a stand by, but the Chase Visa is my go to card. By the way it pays back at the end of each year......

Yea my cards work at the car pumps but not at the truck lines. When you need to pump 70 to 80 gallons of diesel you don't want to try it with the small hoses at the car side of the truck stop

RVRAC said:
I usually ask my DW to go in while I wait.  I estimate an amount and never had a problem.  In Pilots/Flying J, I use their card and get a discount. NP

I do this also but I was solo on this trip. I also set the limit on my card to $300 which I knew was way more than enough.

When you say that you use their card is this a credit card through them or is it the RV discount card?

WILDEBILL308 said:
Well Loves is like that. ::) I try not to use them. I have found if you give them a big number when they ask how much you want, it only charges your card for what you bought.
The only card I know of is the Pilot Flying J card through Good Sam's Club.
https://www.rvpluscard.com/ProgramDetails/
Bill

Thanks for the link. Just what I need is another sticking credit card. We are Good Sam Life Members so it looks like we would get an $.08 per gallon discount off the cash price of fuel. That makes it a pretty good discount then.

I have a Paypal debit card, and it has worked everywhere I have tried.
Rode a couple of runs with Stepson and we re-fueled his KW at Love's. Didn't seem to be a problem with the card.

I use the Pilot/Flying J/Good SAM RV Plus charge card.

I always fuel our Mandalay in the truck lanes at a Pilot or Flying J truck stop, with or without a towed. This card is useable at the pump and provides a 6-cent per gallon discount. I never have to go inside.

What's not to like about that!  :D

Non of my cards work at truck stop pay at the pump. And caution with chase. They shut my card down for fraud last trip. Had to call chase tell them it was us.
Had to give them dates of travel. 

They shut my card down for fraud last trip. Had to call chase tell them it was us.
Had to give them dates of travel. 

It's not just Chase. I've had my Mastercard and Discover card both shut down at different times when I failed to call and let them know I was going to be traveling. It doesn't seem to happen if charges aren't too big and/or frequent, but when fuel prices were high and I had $300 plus worth of fuel at one stop either twice in one day (rare) or on successive days, my card didn't work afterwords 'til I called. This last trip, I had less than $200 per fillup and more than one day between fillups and neither card was affected.

Some of the answers above don't really apply. butch50 is asking about truck island diesel pumps, probably mostly at major truck stops like Loves, TA & Pilot/FJ.  They don't have "pay at the pump" unless you have an account with them, so the issuer of your credit card is not germane. Pilot/FJ has a program with Good Sam that offers an account for an Rver. If you don't like that type of account, you are out of luck.
http://www.goodsamclub.com/faq.aspx?faqcat=10&category=Pilot-Flying-J-RV-Plus-Charge-Card

A few larger fuel stations and independent truck stops do offer pay at the pump, but it's pretty rare for the high capacity truck diesel pumps. The $ amounts to be charged mostly exceed what the credit card companies are willing to guarantee for an "at the pump" purchase ($50-$75 for most cards), so they want you to come inside to get recorded, sign the ticket, etc.

We have the Good Sam Pilot Flying J card that "usually" lets us pay at the pump.  It gives discounts on fuel as well as propane.  It was a little complicated at first to get the discounts as we need a pin or something like that (wife handles that part). 

We have used it locally and on long trips, but overall I avoid the truck stops because they are generally higher in price anyway (even after discount) and they usually carry only a biodiesel blend which doesn't do us any good when stored.

Not completely on topic but related. I'm also one of the (apparently) few here that virtually never uses truck stops for fuel. They rarely seem conveniently situated when I'm looking, they always cost more, there are the hassles at the pump plus the issue of being in the way, and finally the question of biodiesel which seems to have no redeeming qualities.

I'm also one of the (apparently) few here that virtually never uses truck stops for fuel. They rarely seem conveniently situated when I'm looking, they always cost more, there are the hassles at the pump plus the issue of being in the way, and finally the question of biodiesel which seems to have no redeeming qualities.

Does that mean you use the auto fuel lines and their low-speed diesel pumps, or simply that you avoid the major truck stop chains? 

How is the biodiesel situation any different where you fuel? The biofuel mandate is nationwide and has nothing to do with the brand of the fuel or choice of outlet.

We as well stop at Pilot and Loves, and running in and paying ahead is common practise for us. We just put up with it as those fuel stops are spaced just right for us on our way to Arizona. Just a part of our trip south.

Bill

Well I have not found any card, I could get, that worked at THE TRUCK PUMPS except the Pilot/Flying J card. I am also amazed at how few understand the statement "Gasbuddy is your friend" when planning fuel stops. I use it to look ahead at prices where I am traveling. Best use is to see what the prices are in the next state, do I want to get across the line and fill up or fill before I cross. Always fill up before California.
Bill

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
How is the biodiesel situation any different where you fuel? The biofuel mandate is nationwide and has nothing to do with the brand of the fuel or choice of outlet.

Ahhhh..... so I've been using biodiesel without knowing it. I made the assumption based on a couple things, first all the truck stops advertise that they're pumping biodiesel while I've never noticed it on an "auto" pump. Second I've read lots of commentary which gave me the impression one had a choice. Yet one more thing I've learned here..... that makes two things now  ::)

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Does that mean you use the auto fuel lines and their low-speed diesel pumps, or simply that you avoid the major truck stop chains? 

I avoid the major truck stop chains. My last two experiences (Love's I think) were that RVs were directed to the auto pumps anyway, which were very poorly situated for big rigs, and the second I entered the truck stop thinking I could park for a few minutes - very bad decision. Only pull-through was through the pumps otherwise all parking was back-in and I've got a toad. And it was super busy. I managed to stay out of the way and after about 20 minutes the area cleared just enough for me to make a 180 and skeedaddle.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Well I have not found any card, I could get, that worked at THE TRUCK PUMPS except the Pilot/Flying J card. I am also amazed at how few understand the statement "Gasbuddy is your friend" when planning fuel stops. I use it to look ahead at prices where I am traveling. Best use is to see what the prices are in the next state, do I want to get across the line and fill up or fill before I cross. Always fill up before California.
Bill

Where I live there are Mobil Stations that allow use of a CC without going in to prepay etc.

One is about 5 miles from me and I have to drive around the building and then I'm lined up for the diesel pump.
Both Fire Trucks and School Buses fill up there.  There is a regular pump (for diesel cars and trucks) and a high speed pump for others.
I couldn't get the high speed pump to work and asked an attendant and he didn't know how they work either.

I was talking with a friend and he said to start the regular pump and lay it on the ground and then start the High Speed one.
I haven't tried that yet but will the next time I go to that station.

There is another Mobil Station about 15 miles from me and they have 3 pull through truck lanes there.
I haven't used that station yet - but I did ride my motorcycle through a lane to make sure I could get my 65ft rig through and
it will be no problem as full size Semi's do it all the time.  So since I haven't got diesel there yet I can't say 100% that they take
a CC without any problems BUT I ASSUME that is the case as every Mobil Station I have been to has pay at the pump and leave.

I don't know how popular Mobil/Exxon stations are across the country but they are here.

So there are stations that allow pay at the pump without going inside first for diesel purchases with a regular CC.

One note is that they have a $100 limit so around 40 gallons - but it's no problem to run the pump again except for the
few extra minutes it will take vs. doing it all at one time.

Back
Top Bottom