Do you avoid KOA??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did think the KOA was a little high but that was our first big trip so I didn't really have anything to compare it to. I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of staying overnight at a Walmart or a Flying J.  We stopped before dark so we could get everything set up while we could still see.  I had read reviews of several different campgrounds to stop to off 95 and this ones review was good.  There was another KOA in Georgia that received good reviews too.  The one in SC is where we were close to when it was getting close to dark.
We have a very nice campground close to home where we go to on weekends and a few others close by but that is as far as we get until our "vacation time".
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.  I appreciate it.

Ron said:
I would feel more secure in a Walmart than some of the KOA campgrounds we have seen.

Guess that doesn't say much for those campgrounds huh?  Or maybe Walmart isn't all that bad?

steph said:
Guess that doesn't say much for those campgrounds huh?  Or maybe Walmart isn't all that bad?

Doesn't say much for those KOA campgrounds.  We are not frequent campers at Walmart maybe two or three times when there wasn't anything else.  But given some of the KOA/s we have seen sometimes if it was a choice between KOA and the Walmart only the Walmart would be preferred.

Ron said:
Doesn't say much for those KOA campgrounds.  We are not frequent campers at Walmart maybe two or three times when there wasn't anything else.  But given some of the KOA/s we have seen sometimes if it was a choice between KOA and the Walmart only the Walmart would be preferred.

This is good to know.  I think I just felt more comfortable at a campground being our first big road trip, although this one was nice.  We would have turned around and left to find somewhere else if we weren't comfortable.  Who knows, I might be just fine at a Walmart if need be, it was just something that was stuck in my head that I felt we should stick to a campground.  I guess cause just like everything else you hear good and bad.  Sometimes more bad.  Seems like some people love to talk about the bad things but never talk about all the good stuff.  ???

When stopping a WM or other large parking facilities  I always go in and check with the mgr to make sure it's ok and then try find a law enforcement officers and check with them  They will generally patrol the area should they know you are their or advise you to go to somewhere safer.

Steph:

RVing, like any other choice in life has a learning curve.  Most eEveryone is a bit timid at first, a bit frightened of the unknown.  After a few more trips you will become more comfortable in not only learning about your rv and the lifestyle, but also about places to see and things to do and where to park.  Everything has to be experienced before you know where your comfort level is.  Some people are only comfortable in campgrounds.  Others wouldn't ever enter one, but prefer to do the more primative, off the cuff, park whereever thing.  To each his own.  You, too, will find your comfort level as you progress into the unknown and it all becomes more familiar to you. 

In the meantime, don't dispair, as we've all had to go through that same ritual sometime in our rving lifetime....  Just be sure to enjoy yourself and live with a great sense of humor.  It will get you through the tough times, breakdowns, sewer hose accidents, plumbing failures..... ::)

Daisy

Shayne said:
When stopping a WM or other large parking facilities  I always go in and check with the mgr to make sure it's ok and then try find a law enforcement officers and check with them  They will generally patrol the area should they know you are their or advise you to go to somewhere safer.

Shayne,

If you want to find out ahead of time if Walmart allows overnight parking just call 1-800-walmart. Put in the zip code of the store where you want to stay (found in their Rand McNally map) and it will return the phone number of the store. We do this whenever we want to stop. We ask for the manager and they will tell us if it's OK or not. That way I don't have to get off the highway to find out it's not allowed.

Jim,

In the Yahoo Forum 'WalMart Rving" there is a file that you can download that lists all the Wal Marts, addresses, telephone number and GPS lat/long. 

We had to stay at a KOA once, only because the park we were to stay at over booked and they paid for the two nights at the KOA and I still wouldn't stay at another KOA.  I would rather go in and pay Walmart before staying at a KOA....
Cheryl

Daisy said:
Steph:

RVing, like any other choice in life has a learning curve.  Most eEveryone is a bit timid at first, a bit frightened of the unknown.  After a few more trips you will become more comfortable in not only learning about your rv and the lifestyle, but also about places to see and things to do and where to park.  Everything has to be experienced before you know where your comfort level is.  Some people are only comfortable in campgrounds.  Others wouldn't ever enter one, but prefer to do the more primative, off the cuff, park whereever thing.  To each his own.  You, too, will find your comfort level as you progress into the unknown and it all becomes more familiar to you. 

In the meantime, don't dispair, as we've all had to go through that same ritual sometime in our rving lifetime....  Just be sure to enjoy yourself and live with a great sense of humor.  It will get you through the tough times, breakdowns, sewer hose accidents, plumbing failures..... ::)

Daisy

Thanks Daisey! 

I wonder if people feel a little betrayed by KOA's corporate pricing policies.  When my folks were RVing many decades ago, KOAs were affordable family parks.  Now they're $45 and up per night.  No monthly rates. 

--pat

Not all KOA's are that expensive, the Barstow Calico KOA was only $30/night :)  However, they do cost more than comparable camp grounds in the same area.  Since they're not destination parks, they seldom, if ever, offer long term discounts.

Jim Johnson said:
Jim,

We leave next Sunday also heading West.  Have a good trip north and a good summer riding.

Jim,

You, too, have a great trip and stay safe!!!! Maybe sometime next fall we can ride together.

Jim Dick said:
Hi JJ,

Didn't know that file existed!!! Thanks.

BTW, leaving here next Sunday. 2238 miles on the bike!!! :) :)

Hey Jim, sounds like you have been busy on that bike!  Good for you!

I treat KOA's like any other campground.  Too much, too trashy, too snobby, too bad!  There is more in life than dysfunctional campgrounds and I just dont have time for them.  We went to the ALB KOA to stay for a few months and found it near City Housing and they were charging $600+ for their postage stamp site.  I wished them well and left.
I have stayed at other KOA's I have enjoyed but they are not my favorite.
Phil

Hi Phil,

Yes, I've been really riding the bike. Got it loaded onto the pickup yesterday for our trip north. I have been off it for about a week due to weather and other commitments. I couldn't believe how great it felt to be in the saddle again!! It was a picture perfect day with temps in the high 70's, low 80's and humidity almost non existent. I could have ridden all day but it was the only chance to get the bike loaded.  :( It'll be a couple of months before I see that kind of weather again.

I'm not going to like it sitting out for the next two weeks. Just came in from wiping down the dew. :)

As KOAs are franchises, you will find some really nice and some not so nice. But over 34 years of camping we have found that across the board.

Now that we're retired, we don't worry too much about the campgrounds except for price. We need to be able to walk dogs, and since most of the time it is just an overnight we don't worry.

If you are planning to stay in a place for a few days and need the amenities then it could be more of an issue.

We have stayed in places over the years that on first look appeared to be dreadful. Then we found otherwise and even returned if we were back that way.

BernerGran

steph said:
Just curious from another post I was reading about KOA it sounds that most people try to avoid them in general.  Are most of them not well run?
We stayed in one in Yemassee, SC on the way down to Fort Wilderness last year and it wasn't bad at all.  The people there were nice.  Were we just lucky to find a good one?  ???
Just curious if I should avoid them.  Thanks guys.

I've stayed at KOA's in Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee, Missouri, Iowa, and Georgia.  KOA's are like every campground out there.  There are some nice ones, like Granger and Elkhart, Indiana.  Manchester, Tennessee, and the such.  The only KOA I didn't really like was in Northern Georgia.  Wrote a letter to KOA telling them about the missing connections on the cable TV, uncut grass, seasonal units with trash and the such out side their units, ect.  I did get a letter back saying they would contact this park, and got a gift of two free nights at any KOA. 

IMHO, the best thing about a KOA is if you find a bad one, at least there is somebody you can contact.  Not like a regular campground, where the person you are talking to is part of the problem. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom