Easiest Route from Hill City - Rushmore to Yellowstone (Fishing Bridge)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wooey

We are taking our first trip out west and wonder about the roads from Hill City SD to Devils Tower to Yellowstone (Staying at Fishing Bridge).  What is the easiest and less mileage route?  This will be done in one day and then we have a five night stay at FB

We will be there mid June for two weeks.  Sturgis won't be in "full swing" then.  :)

Arch Hoagland said:
We used I90. 

What time of the year? Are you aware of Sturgis?

We are doing the opposite and will be going from Fishing Bridge to Mt Rushmore beginning July 15. We were going to go straight there with a night or 2 stop about halfway. Thought we would do MR first and then go to Deadwood before heading east. Sturgis official start date is 8/4/17. How much prior does it start getting crazy? Do you think better to go from FB to Deadwood and then MR?

Several years ago we went through Sturgis about 8 to 10 days before the event and they were already setting up stuff for it but current conditions are an unknown. Perhaps some Sturgis veterans could clue us in.

As for the route...probably to Deadwood and then Mount Rushmore.  Going east from Rushmore you have to stop at Wall Drug Store.

We will ask around our neighborhood tomorrow. Lots of motorcycle enthusiasts here. Thanks for the route tip of Deadwood first prior to MR. Yes, planjing on Wall Drug Store.

Take Interstate to Billings, at that point you have to decide to go on and enter park from Gardiner, MT or East Entrance by Cody, Wyoming. The shorter way is the Cody, an easy drive from Billings, 2 lane road, but good road and lots to see and do on the way. About 2 hour driving and then another 55 miles to East Entrance at a slow speed limit of 55 a lot of the drive!  Fishing Bridge of course, is close to East Entrance. That is what I would suggest if you are going to be there for 5 nights.

I would not go over the Bighorn Mountains unless you like driving over mountain passes and are going to go slow and enjoy the drive!

Depending on your interests, you could stay on I-90 and exit at Bozeman. Stop to see The Museum of the Rockies, an outstanding museum with incredible dinosaur displays. Then you head into the park either through Gardiner (going back to Livingston and taking 89) or West Yellowstone (west side of Bozeman then 191). We enjoy the Gallatin Canyon on 191. Lots of beautiful scenery, twisty road, but lots of big, well marked turnouts. Remember it is the law in Montana for slow vehicles to use turnouts when traffic is backed up behind them.

The OP has only one day to travel from Hill City to Fishing Bridge and wants the easiest, fastest route.

Google Maps says Hwy 385 north from Hill City to I-90 and west on I-90 to US Hwy 14 for side trip to Devil's Tower.  Then back down to I-90 to Ranchester exit onto US Hwy 14.  Hwy 14 to Fishing Bridge, but... it's about a 10 hour drive with no stops.  That probably means more like 11-12 hours.  You would have to leave pretty danged early to make Fishing Bridge at a reasonable hour and Devil's Tower may not be open yet if you leave Hill City too early.  If there is any way, I'd try to make it a 2 day trip.  Even if I had to cancel the 1st day at Fishing Bridge.

Highway 14 is over the mountains... I would stay on 90 you can make good time. We live by Yellowstone, last year we were at Keyhole State Park outside of Devils Tower. We drove from there to Billings on I90, a easy drive, pretty flat most of the way. Then from Billings quickest way to FB is to go to South to Cody, and the East Entrance. Yes a very long drive.  Any way you can stay one night at Keyhole, nice place and would give you a jump on your trip. Probably take at least an hour from East Entrance of park to Fishing Bridge. You do NOT want to drive thru the entire Yellowstone Park to get to Fishing Bridge...... go thru the East Entrance.

We are actually making a similar trip in mid-june.  We are staying at Devil's tower (after leaving rushmore) and making the drive to fishing bridge.  I see I-90 as a good safe drive, but not the best for getting to the East entrance.  Everything I read says not to go hwy 14 with a coach.  What I've read has said taking hwy 16 a little farther south is a better drive for going into the east entrance and on to fishing bridge.

Anyone done that drive and can make recommendations.  It also my first time out here, so I am interested to hear back from someone who has made these drives before.

Taking I 00 all the way to Billings Is much longer than crossing the Bighorns, and going through Cody. You had one suggestion to take US 14 over the mountains, and on through Cody. This route is quite scenic, but it is steep. My own favorite route is US14 up the Bighorns, and then US 14A down. IMO, this is the most scenic route, but it is also the steepest.

The easiest way to cross is US 16. It will also take you to Cody. where you can pick up US 14 ti Yellowstone. This is not a difficult drive. It is not as steep as US 14, and is probably also a little bit shorter.

I would hesitate to try to do it in one day. If you can manage one night without hookups, there are plenty of national forest campgrounds in the mountains, on 16, 14, and 14A. There are also some commercial campgrounds with hookups. One is on 14, a few miles before the junction with 14A.  There is another on 14A,  about half a mile after the junction. If you use that one, you probably want to go back to 14 when you leave.

This sign is a good indication of the roads:

Attachments

• 14a.jpg
    14a.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 9
From Hill City take US385/16 to Custer then 16 west to I90. I90 to Buffalo, WY and spend the night. Next day an easy one day drive via US16 to Worland, US16/20 thru Greybull and 14/20 to Cody and then into the park. 16 between Buffalo and Tensleep a little hilly with only one fairly steep descent which is a piece of cake if you downshift and take it slow. After Tensleep its practically flat into Cody. Doing it in one day would be really pushing the endurance limit.

Back
Top Bottom