Going to Alaska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
Want the latest information on road conditions for your drive? Make sure to bookmark these sites.
www.dot.state.ak.us (Alaska)
www.511yukon.ca (Yukon)
www.drivebc.com (British Columbia)
www.amaroadreports.ca (Alberta)

Don,
We are doing a return visit to Alaska. On the last trip we met you and Peg for the first time in Fairbanks (Fred and Daisy were with us).
You also helped me get a repair done a a local diesel shop the you used.

Thanks for the road condition websites.

Last trip we drove to Alaska and then took the ferry part way home. This year we are taking the ferry northbound and then driving back.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
Last trip we drove to Alaska and then took the ferry part way home.
ken
How long ago was your trip to Alaska? Do you have a trip journal or route that we can see? We are leaving Seattle on May 15th and plan on being at Glacier National Park on July 2nd.  In between is totally up in the air.

Here is a blog that I kept during our Alaska trip.  It is more facts and info as opposed to sightseeing tips. 

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,54670.0.html

Dream Chasers said:
How long ago was your trip to Alaska? Do you have a trip journal or route that we can see? We are leaving Seattle on May 15th and plan on being at Glacier National Park on July 2nd.  In between is totally up in the air.
If I am reading correctly you are only taking 7 weeks for the trip. 

Unless you are really constrained for time, I would recommend taking a lot more time.  You will spend a lot more time staring out the windshield than having fun with only 7 weeks for the trip. 

It took us almost 20 weeks to go from Portland, OR through Canada & Alaska and back to Portland last year.  I know we probably wasted a lot of time in some places, but it was a very unhurried trip.  Here is a link to the blog of our trip:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html

Sadly we only have 7 weeks for this leg. This is part of an 8 month trip starting and ending in Florida.  We are leaving in early February and have to be back for a family function in mid-October. There is lots of good stuff to see in America that we won't be able to do on this trip. But we are relatively young (61 & 54) and are hoping to go again for a longer trip. This first one is just a big loop as a sampling.  This trip is starting in Florida across the south, north thru CA, OR and WA and then BC, AK and AB, then to Glacier, Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore, before heading south to FL.  We will be doing a similar loop in 2018 going up the East Coast into Canada and then across to Minnesota and back to Florida. That one will also be about 8 months. Then starting in 2019 we will take 3 to 5 month trips to specific areas. First will probably be to UT, which is being completely bypassed on this first trip.

Thanks for the link. We will definitely be reading it.

Dream Chasers said:

Our last trip was 1998. I kept a log, but it is long lost. Posted some of it on the Forum, but that was the old Compuserve forum and those files to did come over to the new Forum.

This trip will start when we enter Canada on about June 7th. Our ferry reservations are for June 13th from Prince Rupert. We plan on be in Chicago by September 11.

ken

Dream Chasers said:
Sadly we only have 7 weeks for this leg. This is part of an 8 month trip starting and ending in Florida.  We are leaving in early February and have to be back for a family function in mid-October. There is lots of good stuff to see in America that we won't be able to do on this trip. But we are relatively young (61 & 54) and are hoping to go again for a longer trip. This first one is just a big loop as a sampling.  This trip is starting in Florida across the south, north thru CA, OR and WA and then BC, AK and AB, then to Glacier, Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore, before heading south to FL.  We will be doing a similar loop in 2018 going up the East Coast into Canada and then across to Minnesota and back to Florida. That one will also be about 8 months. Then starting in 2019 we will take 3 to 5 month trips to specific areas. First will probably be to UT, which is being completely bypassed on this first trip.

Thanks for the link. We will definitely be reading it.
With the amount of effort and expense of just getting to Alaska, you may consider reducing the time you spend on seeing the USA sights and spending more time on the AK part.  Compared to getting to Alaska, everything in the USA is easy to get to.  Also there is a lot to see in Canada on the way up and back.  It is worth taking 3 weeks each way on the travel across Canada.  But ultimately we all travel in a manner which we find best. 

I agree with AStravelers. You could easily spend 7 weeks in BC and Alaska. I would set aside Glacier, Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone for another trip.

Dream Chasers said:
Thanks for these links. Very timely info. We are headed that way. We are leaving Florida shortly and expect to be north of Seattle by mid-May.
I am jealous, I wish I could go to Alaska. Glad I got to meet you at the Lakeland rally. I agree with the rest, you are trying to put ten pounds of poop into a five pound bag. Slow down and smell the roses.

Here is Betty's Journal from our 2006 Alaskan trip...http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,5320.0.html

I'm so happy you posted Betty's journal, Terry.  She really writes so descriptively and conveys so much information in her journals.  I'm going to read it all again, just for the fun of it!

Back
Top Bottom