moisture in bed area.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopefulrver

various u-tube videos has mentioned moisture collecting in the bed area. Is this a common problem or just laziness on owners not taking proper care?

I haven't had this problem, but others have.
Usually the problem is poor or no venting when using the furnace. The overhead is or does cool faster than the rest of the camper. Burning propane produces water, when the overhead cools, you get condensation.
I always crack a window or open an overhead vent.

Yes, have had it a lot. Body heat warms the air in the mattress. When the warm air reaches  cold or cooler surface below it condenses.
I tried several things for several years. Insulated pads, plastic sheeting and raising the mattress off the hard surface an inch. Once I raised the mattress I realized I was on the right path. No amount of heat or ventilation helped, until I rasped the mattress. It was still a problem because it was hard to get much air movement under the mattress and I did not like turning on the furnace just to dry the mattress. We then got two mattresses and would tip them up every day. That worked, but were lazy so we got tired of that. Next step, tore out the original bed. Rebuilt an open frame about 20'' off the floor and covered it with expanded metal supported about every 16''.
End of problem plus we gained a lot of very accessible storage space. No more doors to fight with. We just use tote bins that slide in and out. The bins also make it much easier to load and unload. Of coarse it didn't look as nice, but my creative wife said no sweat. She just just got a larger bed spread and lets it come down on the sides. That was a close call in the area of doesn't look nice. Even with the bedspread covering most of the opening the mattresses remain dry. Air space between the mattress and what ever it rests on is the answer. Wow, I could have written that last sentience first and been through with the answer.

Hope this helps, Tom

Thanks tc tom. Seems like proper ventilation and air movement will take care of most of the problem. However, since I might be solo most of the time, the easiest way is not to use the cabover bed.

We are considering purchasing a truck camper, so this is a topic of interest to me.  This guy has a whole series of You Tube videos addressing the problem and how he solved it. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3XsCjmAfQbhBTGHS-Vbdg33jC5ikgHr_

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom