Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

The tires on my 26' TT are wearing excessively on the outside of the tire. Tread has avg wear. They are 2 yrs old and have approx. 9-10K miles on them and my TT is 4800 dry weight. How can this be corrected?

Sounds like time for an alignment.  It can be either a bent axle, which can be bent back, or improper camber (tilt) on the tires.  May be time for new tires, too.  A set with higher payload may be worthwhile.  Make sure the tires can carry the LOADED TT weight, or TT  GVWR.  The dry weight is totally useless unless you tow campers from the manufacturer to the dealer.

I've decided to have the tires rotated rather than the expense $360 of alignment.

And how many tires will you wear out prematurely before you wished you spent the $360 to get a good alignment done? Just sayin' :)

I guess you will be dis-mounting the tires and mounting them the opposite way so that the other side can be destroyed as well?

bobbyg2013 said:
I've decided to have the tires rotated rather than the expense $360 of alignment.

Be aware that going this route doesn't mean the worn out outsides, that are now on the inside, won't continue to wear. They will continue to wear and they'll be harder to keep an eye on. While rotating the tires would have been a good idea when the tire wear wasn't too bad and to try and keep the wear somewhat even now that it's excessive you are heading into very dangerous territory of a blowout, loss of control, etc, while on the road. It's hard to say "get the alignment" as we don't know your financial situation but please, as soon as you are able, get the alignment as well as new tires.

lynnmor said:
I guess you will be dis-mounting the tires and mounting them the opposite way so that the other side can be destroyed as well?

I did that to my wife's Subaru one time.  Drove it about 20 miles(home from the tire shop), called the tire shop back and ordered new tires. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom