Gas Filler Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Getting Old

Went to fill up my new to me 2008 Winnebago 26P Site Seer class A and could not get the filler to allow gas to flow.  Don't know if this is a new California situation and I never paid attention or my rig specific.  Anyone else have this problem and if so how are you dealing with it?

Don G. WIT 70041

Don - that's a Sightseer you have. Tell us more what happens when you fuel up. You stick the nozzle into the filler neck, pull the lever and then what happens? Does this happen with different pumps?

S o far only in CA.  No matter how I turn the nozzle it refuses to turn on and if it does I might get a quart of gas before it turns off..Makes me want to fire up the 40 AD rather than this little puddle jumper.

How many gas stations have you been to and did they all do the same thing? 

I have been to at least 59 different gas stations in California and have not run into that situation. Nor any gas stations across the U.S. for that matter.

I would more suspect a problem with your RV.

Worked fine in AZ and okay at Costco not at BP and some I can't remember.  Of course it probably is my rigs problem I was hoping for some ideas.

Don G

Found a simple solution on another Winnebago web site.  Place a 1/2 roll of electrical tape between the vapor recovery rubber cup nozzle and the filler.  Allows pressure on the cup allowing fuel to pass. 

D on G...WIT 70041

Getting Old said:
Found a simple solution on another Winnebago web site.  Place a 1/2 roll of electrical tape between the vapor recovery rubber cup nozzle and the filler.  Allows pressure on the cup allowing fuel to pass. 

D on G...WIT 70041

I experienced that when filling my old 76 MH the first time (88) in California. Next time I pulled up to the full service pump; the attendant tried hard to convince me to use a self-serve pump, to no avail. Took him about 30 minutes to fill my MH gas tank. Sure wish I'd known then about the tape trick. Thanks for the info.

You may be encountering pumps with an automatic vapor recovery system on the filler. It literally sucks up the fuel vapors and requires that the rubber flange around the nozzle be depressed to activate the "sucker" and allow gas to flow. If the shape of your fuel inlet doesn't match up well, no fuel flows. That's what the electrical tape trick compensates for, at least in some rigs. Just what you need to adapt may vary from model to model and maybe even pump to pump.

I once talked to a guy with an old classic Buick that had the fuel door behind the license plate in the bumper. He couldn't get those vapor recovery nozzles in there at all and actually made an adapter (basically just a length of fuel hose) for it.

I first experienced those nozzle 'bellows' 30 years ago when I went to California on business. Thought those were a bit overkill. Also had a 1955 and a '56 Chev with the fuel filler behind one of the tail lights, it was always funny to see some of the gas station attendants try to find the fuel filler. I had a '57 but I don't remember where the filler was.

Our Passat TDI (sold back to VW) and now our new Ford Fusion Hybrid has a fuel filler adapter pipe for those situations where the nozzle won't fit in the filler compartment or the neck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom