Phoenix, AZ to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

Spring break is coming up and this year we're hauling the rig to Yellowstone. You guys were monumental with your route suggestions for our Yosemite trip last year. What route(s) would you recommend for getting to Yellowstone from Phoenix?

My favorite route is :
I-17 to I east ti US-89 north to
I-70 east ti US-50 west to I-15 north to US-20 east (Idaho Falls) to West Yellowstone.

Alternate:
US 60 to Wickenburg, then US-93 to I-40 west to US-93 north to Las Vegas to I-515 to I-15 to US 20.

If you would like to go through Jackson and the Grand Tetons on the way then take US-26 out of Idaho Falls to US89 to US-191. I like this best, but then I like the Grand Tetons even more than Yellowstone.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
My favorite route is :
I-17 to I east ti US-89 north to
I-70 east ti US-50 west to I-15 north to US-20 east (Idaho Falls) to West Yellowstone.

If you would like to go through Jackson and the Grand Tetons on the way then take US-26 out of Idaho Falls to US89 to US-191. I like this best, but then I like the Grand Tetons even more than Yellowstone.

ken

This is the route we took two years ago, going through Jackson, WY & Grand Teton as mentioned and it worked out well,

oh dang! not a good time of year to go to Yellowstone at all

the commercial snowcoach tours end on March 6 so the park can begin plowing roads which will not open until Memorial Day, so when we were planning on being there, there is no access to Old Faithful or the giant falls, only 50 miles of road in the whole park will be open

so now we're trying to figure out where to go in 10 days, maybe Zion, dunno

Blanding Utah is a good spot to settle for Native American sites including wonderful rock art. We spent a week there and didn't begin to see everything. It is just south of Moab a bit. Moab is a great spot for off-roading, and the area is nice for other things too as long as it is not the Jeep weekend around Easter.  You can also visit Canyonlands and the San Rafael Swell, gorgeous places.

Capitol Reef is a lovely place to visit too, great 4x4 roads through it to, particularly Cathedral Valley.

If you want to make it a great trip instead of a good trip, consider putting the following stops on your list of places to visit, if you have an extra few days in your schedule. Painted Desert/Petrified Forest NP , 27 miles east of Holbrook on I40.  Then north to Chinle to Canyon De Chelly on hwy 191. There is a nice city park in Chinle, Cottonwood,  for dry camping but it has toilets, and water is available. Then on to Monument Valley in
Az and Utah. Take the road out of Many Farms to Kayenta then 163 north. We stayed a Goldings RV park (pricy) but the only full hook-up there. Next, 163 then 191 thru Blanding. If you play golf stop/stay in Monticello (you will be pleased and surprised). We stayed in Moab to visit Arches NP but didn't have time for Canyonlands NP. Take I70 (Flaming Gorge is awesome) to Rock Springs then 191 to Wellington then Duchesne (Flaming Gorge is beautiful) then Vernal.  Rock Springs next, stay on 191 all the way to Jackson, WY, gateway to the Tetons and Yellowstone. Roads were all good and not too much traffic. Stayed at Gros Ventre CG for 3 nights a few miles north of town, dry camping but they have a few electric (pricy).  West Yellowstone for 3 nights to visit all over Yellowstone (lots of driving, so pick and choose what you want to see, impossible to see everything). Our next stop was Cody, WY then a few days in Custer State Park in South Dakota for 3 nights.  Then home thru Denver, Albuquerque, I40 to Phoenix.  Gone 22 days and had a fabulous trip. Do on line research before you leave. Have a safe trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom