recovering my good humour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougJ

Yesterday we arrived at Sea Perch, coast of Oregon, yesterday where we'll be until Sunday morning.  It's a great place to recover my good humour which I lost on Tuesday because of damn poor service at Cummins Northwest, in Coburg, OR.

In early March I had booked for an oil change and chassis lube on my F460 Winnebago Elandan, as well as a full service on my Onan generator, which is running well but was really overdue for service--like an oil and filter change, new spark plug, tweaking the carburettor and choke settings, etc.  Oh yes, the date I was booking for was March 27.

When I booked, I asked mor ethan once, Do you folks work on gasolene MH engines?  Yes, we do; no problem doing oil and filters on the 460.  On the 26th I called to make sure that I was still on their books.  I was, they said, and I asked what for: they repeated my requests correctly.  That I took for a good sign.

I arrived punctually for my appointment.  It took them half an hour mousing and clicking to get my work order printed so that I could sign it.

About an hour an forty-five minutes later, the service advisor called me to say that the techie had turned in the sheets and I was reszady to go other than paying the bill.  He did not go over the detailed invoice with me, but as he was running my credit card through I had a look--and what did I see.

First, the fuel filter on the Onan not changed; they didn't have one in stock.  Now to be clear, these folk are an Onan Certified establishment.

Second, no reference to any work on the 460.  I asked about this; the service advisor went to check with the techie; the answer was, the techie overlooked this matter on the work order.

This is, at this point, annoying, but not a disaster.  We agreed to hit the 460 after lunch whereupon I retired to the MH for my lunch.  A coffee would go nicely with my sandwich so I thought I'd fire up the Onan to drive the electric kettle.  Damn, wouldn't start from the switch in the MH; out to the generator for the local switch--cough, cough, belch sputter, but no run.  Hmmmh--well, actually it was an expletive.

Back inside I had a look at the Hobbs; the hundredth of the meter had not moved--I'm anal, I keep a log of that info!  Back outside to have another look at the genset: yup, a new filter--oil drip not wiped up; but, no evidence that the choke or "accelerator" arm (sorry, don't know the technical terms for these things) had been touched.

Not long after, the techie--a young man--shows up ready to take the rig for work on the 460.  I tell him the Onan won't run.  Says it ran for him when he tried it.  In a clearly surprised voice I tell him the Hobbs meter hasn't moved and say, well let's try it together.  Well, it takes him about a minute of intermittent "trys" to get it to run, with his finger on that accelerator arm. 

He offers to shut it down and take the MH for the work on the 460.  I demur and say I'm off for a chat with the service folk and ask him to return the work order folder to the service desk.

Back inside, I describe the situation--in my most calm voice--explaining that it seems that for them a full service on the Onan is only an oil and filter change, not even pulling the plug to see if it's fouled and perhaps needed a change.  I wanted to suggest the techie needed an English language reading check even though he appeared to be of solid USA stock, but didn't.  I closed by declaring my complete loss of confidence in Cummins Northwest and left.

The good news is that today I'm recovering nicely.

Ciao,

Doug

That's a sad story Doug. I have a few of those of my own, although not with the same establishment and not all involving motorhomes. Glad to hear you're recovering your sense of humor; I think mine would take a lot longer to recover.

Thanks for the suggestion, Gary:

You might want to post a note about your experience in RV Service Reviews.

I have submitted a review.

Ciao,

Doug

I hate to tell you this Doug, but what you experienced is normal for this point in time.  It happens with every business today.

Last week, I called a company that I have known for 30 years, including the owner and his son.  I asked his son for a quote on a special door.  He said he would call that afternoon and give me the quote in the morning.  Still haven't heard from him although I have left word on 3 separate occasions.  I will take my business to someone who wants it and the next time I talk to them, I'll explain why.

I hate to tell you this Doug, but what you experienced is normal for this point in time.  It happens with every business today.

I think, Ron, I'll try sticking with Ford dealerships for the 460, especially at home in the Vancouver area.  As for the Onan, I'll ask members of the local chapter of the WIT club that we belong to.

BTW, what artistic projects are you focused on these days?

Ciao,

Doug

Doug,

Around 2001 we went to that shop and we were quite satisfied. But 6 years can make a difference... or you had a bad luck or we had a good luck.

Hi Roger,

Around 2001 we went to that shop and we were quite satisfied. But 6 years can make a difference... or you had a bad luck or we had a good luck.

I suspect it's not a matter of either good or bad luck, but rather a deterioration on the ethic of customer service within the Cummins Northwest operation for after being made aware of what I consider poor service, they made no effort to rectify the situation.

Ciao,

Doug

Doug    you win hands down.  That's the way things are, all over the country.  Its rare and fantastic when you find great or even good service.  I've always found, the if you have mechanical troubles, don't go to an RV shop nor a auto dealership.   Find a guy with major Hot rod experience and he will repair the problem in no time cuz he's a mechanic  All the rest are parts replacers under the hit and miss method and know nothing about mechanics.

Shayne,

You must be right. When our son, 20 years ago, needed to choose between car mechanics and body repair, his boss told him to do body repairs as mechanics will be less and less necessary because diagnostics will be done by computer and replacement is the word of the trrade. In body repairs he bacame a painter and until now they haven't replace that job, at least out from a factory.

On April 4, 2007, in a reply to Roger Potie, I wrote as follows:

I suspect it's not a matter of either good or bad luck, but rather a deterioration on the ethic of customer service within the Cummins Northwest operation for after being made aware of what I consider poor service, they made no effort to rectify the situation.

Now, in fairness to Cummins Northwest, I must report that the General Manager of the Coburg operation, Carlos Florez, called me today to apologize for the poor service performance I received.  He wanted to do it over and make it right, but I explained I was in Portland with commitments to be back home in Vancouver, BC, by Thursday coming.  He then offered to reimburse me the money I had paid and I gratefully and happily accepted his offer. 

What's more, we agreed that when I was once again in the Eugene area (Coburg is just north of there) with my rig I would book for service and give him a heads up, and he would see to it that I would be well served.

The good thing in all of this is that the CEO calls making the effort to get customer and service-provider back on the same page for if the attitude of customer service is not owned in the corner office, there is little chance that the attitude of customer service will be held elsewhere in the organisation.

Ciao,

Doug

Right now Doug, I'm working on an architectural project and not spending very much time with the photography, other than a trip out for a couple days to shoot wildflowers.  The last day, I was shooting in sleet and rain at temperatures in the middle to high 30's.  Not much fun under those conditions.

I am donating a framed print for an auction to raise funds for teaching art to children.  I also have a print ready to go on canvas and put on a museum mount.  It is a panoramic 9"x54" of white barked winter trees.  Makes a nice piece.

Right now Doug, I'm working on an architectural project and not spending very much time with the photography, other than a trip out for a couple days to shoot wildflowers.  The last day, I was shooting in sleet and rain at temperatures in the middle to high 30's.  Not much fun under those conditions.

Doesn't sound like there's any moss gathering on your bark, Ron. :)

We leave Portland tomorrow and should be home in Sechelt by Thursday evening.  We hope to make a pass by the tulip fields in the Mt. Vernon area; I may even get lucky and get an image or two.  But, I'm really looking forward to installing and playing with my new HP 9180 printer.

Ciao,

Doug

Back
Top Bottom