Planning a Walmart stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob T

Thread moved from old topic reply to its own new thread

There is a lot of interesting opinions and information here particularily for newbies and folks with less than 5 years experience like myself. (Probably still classed as newbie ?)

Ive stayed at a truck stop once (last year on way South) and plan to try my first Walmart this year.

For us, it allows me to reduce what would be possibly 12 hours on the road to maybe 9 hrs.  I will leave after work, travel 3 hours, stop to eat and sleep then back on road about 5:30AM.

Simply, there are NO campgrounds open in March. I will get to south end of Pennsylvania the second night and be in a campground.

We called the Walmart we plan to stay, they said no problem and they are only open till 10PM,  then we called the local police who have a station near and asked them first, is it legal and second, is the area safe.
They replied, it is fine and they have never had problems.

I think I've covered all my bases, anyone have any thoughts if I missed something?

Thanks for input, as always.

Bob

I always go inside and ask to speak to a manager. Ask a manager if it's OK to stay and also where do they want me to stay in their parking lot. Don't just park where other people are already parked. That's my opinion.

The few times we have stayed at a Walmart have been for pretty much the same reason as the OP. I don't need hookups, and it just kills me to pay $40 for a 9 hour stop on the way to somewhere. Instead of walking in the store, I generally call shortly before I arrive, confirm that overnight parking is still allowed, and ask where they want me to park.

Our standard stop is Laramie, WY, on the way to visit family. Very convenient, right off the highway, and a quiet place.

Rene T said:
I always go inside and ask to speak to a manager. Ask a manager if it's OK to stay and also where do they want me to stay in their parking lot. Don't just park where other people are already parked. That's my opinion.

I'm sure that the manager would would rather ask at the service desk than bother him.

Joel

I suggest that you join https://www.overnightrvparking.com/

The information is solid, all verified, and kept current by a large and active membership. IMO it is well worth the $25/year if you plan to use even a few Walmart-type overnight parking spots. They now have over 13,000 "free" places in their database (that number includes known "No Parking" spots).

Back
Top Bottom