Is there a Safety Factor built into trailer axles.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I didn't want to hijack another post which talked about suspending a fifth wheel hitch on the king pin to free up the space in the bed of a truck. One of our members talked about a safety factor built into the RV frames when they are designed.  That got me thinking. In my case, I have two 5200# axles made by Dexter. I've always wondered if there is safety factor built into these axles. What that means is that the axles may be able to support more weight than what the axles are rated for. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

The load capacities on axles for RV trailers are established by the vehicle manufacturer. They do not have to be the same as the axle manufacturer?s specs. The vehicle manufacturer cannot exceed the axle manufacturer?s specs.

The trailer is designed to be supported by the GAWR values established by the trailer manufacturer. Those values are displayed on the trailer?s certification label. Your owner?s manual will tell you not to exceed them.

As to your question about excess values not established or displayed. In my experience, all mechanical things like axles will have reserves built in. As owners, our need to know is not important because the values have not been established or published or made common knowledge. The maximum allowable values are established, beyond that is the unknown.

Of course there is a safety factor in the rating - it is intended to be a valid rating even in a worst case scenario, plus there will be a certain amount of "windage" in the engineering analysis and estimating.  There are too many variables to be very precise, especially when the axle engineer doesn't know just how the axle is going to be installed, what tires will be used, and where it might be asked to go. So, yes, odds are it can carry at least somewhat more than the axle manufacturers rated capacity.  You can be pretty confident the hubs won't break off if you are 20# over on a smooth road, but 250# over on a rugged trail might be a different story. How much of a gambler are you?  ???

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
You can be pretty confident the hubs won't break off if you are 20# over on a smooth road, but 250# over on a rugged trail might be a different story.

Gary, did you mean to say 250# on a smooth road?  :eek: ::)

No, but the numbers were just an illustration of the point and not intended to be a specific guideline.  You can certainly stretch the limits a modest amount in mild conditions and not worry much, but as the amount goes up or the road conditions get worse, you might find that some damage results.

Back
Top Bottom