Heidi is Crossing the Rainbow Bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

Our 17 year old Shih Tzu, Heidi, will be crossing  the Rainbow Bridge this morning to our great sorrow. She had a very bad night with several strokes and can no longer stand and appears to be almost comatose with her eyes flickering constantly. She has been deaf and blind for several years and she will be going to a better place. We are hoping she will go on her own before the vet opens but it does not appear that will happen.  Losing a pet after 17 years is the same as losing a child.

Bill

Bill N said:
Losing a pet after 17 years is the same as losing a child.

Sincere condolences Bill. And yes it it like losing a child, and a friend, all in one. We just lost our Sheltie and and share in your grief.

Sun2Retire said:
Sincere condolences Bill. And yes it it like losing a child, and a friend, all in one. We just lost our Sheltie and and share in your grief.

Thank you Scott.  She passed with the vets assistance at 9:10 am CST.  Her ashes will live with us as will memories for the rest of our lives.

Bill

Bill, you are in my thoughts and prayers. After 17 years, it really is like losing a child because she has been a member of your family, not just a pet. We lost our prized Collie last April at the age of 10 and are readying ourselves for the impending loss of our 14 yr old Sheltie who is in his last days. We know exactly what you are going through and feel your pain and loss.

My prayers that your grieving will be short and that the joy and love you knew with Heidi will be with you forever. 

Linda

I know your pain Bill. Just take joy in the knowledge that she had a very good life with you and your family. I am sure the love and care that you showed her for all of her life was a tremendous blessing for all of you.

It always sad when we lose anyone or thing that is close to us, The many dogs we have had over the years that have passed has always been a great sorrow. We lost a long time German Shepherd (friend and companion) last May and I still glance in the direction where he always slept fully expecting him to be there.

Not that it's any big deal but according to the "poem", your friend doesn't cross the Rainbow Bridge until you die, then you both cross the bridge together.  At least that's how I interpret it.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for your kind comments.  It really helps us through the grief process.  Heidi had a wonderful life. She was diagnosed early with a kidney stone problem and was fed special food for her whole life.  She never was overweight and always 'pranced' when she took her walks.  Though deaf and blind for the last few years she placed her faith in us on her walks and still pranced at the end of the leash trusting that we were guiding her in a good direction.  She knew all the special places on her route and knew where she should do her business.  Once again, your kind comments make us happy to be members of the group.  Her favorite walks were in campgrounds where she had lots of new smells.  We do feel like it is a family here, ready to help each other with any problem.  A good day to all.

Joan & Bill

Attachments

1.7 KB · Views: 134
I'm so sorry for your loss.  No matter how long we're blessed with their company, it seems they always leave too soon.

At 75, whenever I cross over there will a pack of herding dogs, mostly Pulik, rushing to see me and me them! That's my hope.

Their going first has always brought tears and pain, Bless you!

I know this is really tough.... lots of tears, but great memories. It's all a part of being a pet owner. Grieve and get another - not to replace the one lost, but to start another great adventure.

dcb in VT

wackymac said:
Not that it's any big deal but according to the "poem", your friend doesn't cross the Rainbow Bridge until you die, then you both cross the bridge together.  At least that's how I interpret it.

Thank you for that clarification and I agree with your interpretation.  I have read the poem many times and never realized that our pets are just waiting for us at the bridge but having a great time in the waiting. We all cross together.  Thanks again.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom