Campgrounds in Southern Utah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GT928

We are planning a trip to the Southern Utah area fall of 2017, probably mid to late September. We went to Zion a few years ago (not camping) and loved it. We are looking at Bryce and maybe Capital Reef or Grand Staircase as well to do some exploring and hiking. We are pulling a 29' Earthbound TT with a Grand Cherokee. We hope to spend a couple of weeks in the area and are looking for advice on campgrounds that would accommodate our trailer. We would prefer electric hookups and water.

Capital Reef and Grand Staircase are incredible and much less crowded than Bryce. There are also other lovely places in the area. Look at Escalante for an ok RV park. There are boondocking spots and FS/BLM dispersed campsites in numerous areas if you are able to alternate electric and non-electric sites. You might want to look at this Utah tourism site for things off the beaten path. https://www.visitutah.com/road-to-mighty/

There is a lot more to Utah than just the National Parks.

GT928 said:
We are planning a trip to the Southern Utah area fall of 2017, probably mid to late September. We went to Zion a few years ago (not camping) and loved it. We are looking at Bryce and maybe Capital Reef or Grand Staircase as well to do some exploring and hiking. We are pulling a 29' Earthbound TT with a Grand Cherokee. We hope to spend a couple of weeks in the area and are looking for advice on campgrounds that would accommodate our trailer. We would prefer electric hookups and water.
You specify elect & water hookups:
looking for advice on campgrounds that would accommodate our trailer. We would prefer electric hookups and water.

Outside of the established RV Parks there are very, very few campgrounds which offer electric hookups.  Go to RVParkReviews.com: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/utah for info about RV Parks and many of the public campgrounds in the area. 

Almost all the BLM, NP and NF CG's have some sites long enough for a 29' TT.  Many times you can hang the rear of the trailer out the back of the campsite so the site doesn't have to be 29' long.

I would recommend you add some extra battery capacity, maybe a solar panel and spend some time practicing dry camping.  Then you can stay in the non-hookup campgrounds.  You probably will enjoy these campgrounds more than being crammed in RV Parks. 

When I was 16 years old my parents took me, my sister and brother on a 3+ week, 7000 mile trip out west from Tennessee. I did a lot of research, writing state visitors bureaus and looking at encyclopedias and atlas's (anyone remember those) to plan our stops. Bryce was one of the places I really wanted to go but we just could not work it in our plans. Several years ago my wife and I went to Zion and the Grand Canyon, but just couldn't work Bryce in with the time available. Always wanted to go.

As far as dry camping or boon docking, I am very interested. In the past I have usually backpacked and/or tent camped (when a tent was available). Until I sold my last motorcycle a little over a year ago, I would go to rally's or get togethers and use a tent or camping hammock. So a travel trailer is a luxury and one I plan to enjoy. But before I go boon docking, I have to ease my wife in gradually. She's willing, but is used to a bit more luxury. That is why I am primarily looking for "comfortable facilities" on this first major trip for us.

We are looking forward to our trip to the Southern Utah area and of course since there is so much to see, it won't be our last.

When we went to Bryce a few years ago, we stayed at Kodachrome Basin SP, which is about a half hour drive to the east of Bryce.  At the time we were there, only four of the sites were full hook ups, and the rest were dry, with no electric or anything.  Now 15 of the sites are FHU, with 13 reservable.  We found it to be a great place to stay, much less commercial than Ruby's.

At Zion, I agree with Tom on Watchman.  Electric only, but has the advantage of being in the park.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom