Looking at 5th Wheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OutdoorFT

So Ive been asking questions, researching what fits my needs and my budget. Already have a good truck to tow with (good, not the best or strongest). So despite the strong winds and rain, I got the numbers off my truck.

GVWR-11,200
Front GAWR-5600
Rear GAWR-7000
CCC-3602

Not sure if the GAWR is worth mentioning, but I grabbed the numbers just in case.

If I go this route, any recommendations on a hitch? Approx how much do they weigh?

Thats all for now. Thanks.

First, I assume you got the CCC off the yellow label.

Those specs look fairly strong.  I assume you know how to calculate the real load you are placing on the truck since you have been hanging around for a while.  The rear axle GAWR is important as virtually all of the pin wt will sit directly above the rear axle.

You did not mention if your truck has a gooseneck ball in the bed.  If so, the Andersen Ultimate hitch weighs only 37# for Aluminum or 75# for steel.  If you need to add the ball, most of the weight savings will go under the truck bed. The installed hitch will still be lighter.

If you go with a conventional FW hitch, they weigh about 200# or more.  Go to E Trailer or similar site and look at shipping weights for various hitches.

Your going to get different opinions here.
GVWR vs GAWR,RAWR debate will rage for ever.
Personally after towing overloaded for three years I am firmly in the GVWR crowd.  So pleaee bare with me.
GVWR minus scaled ready to travel weight minus 250 pounds is your net cargo carrying capacit (pin weight).
As a ball park estimate allow 250 pounds for a hitch.
Fifth wheel pin weight is basically all carried by the rear axle.  Technically that may not be true, but good enough for what you want.
If you have scaled loaded for travel weight plus weights for both axles you will have the basic information you need.
Now, remember fifth wheels carry approx 20% of their total weight as pin weight.  That number can be as low as 18% and as high as 25%.  Most people accept the 20% number as a good starting point. Remember this is not "dry" or "shipping" weight.  So to be safe, use 20% of the trailers GVWR.  You may not hit the gross weight, but then again guaranteed you will never see the dry weight.

grashley said:
First, I assume you got the CCC off the yellow label.

Those specs look fairly strong.  I assume you know how to calculate the real load you are placing on the truck since you have been hanging around for a while.  The rear axle GAWR is important as virtually all of the pin wt will sit directly above the rear axle.

You did not mention if your truck has a gooseneck ball in the bed.  If so, the Andersen Ultimate hitch weighs only 37# for Aluminum or 75# for steel.  If you need to add the ball, most of the weight savings will go under the truck bed. The installed hitch will still be lighter.

If you go with a conventional FW hitch, they weigh about 200# or more.  Go to E Trailer or similar site and look at shipping weights for various hitches.
Mines white, but a second sticker was part yellow with tire/load ratings. These came right off my personal truck, not a website or brochure.

Mine does not have gooseneck. It has been set up for 5th wheel from factory. So basically add a second me for the hitch weight  ;D

I was just making sure I had enough numbers to calculate in order to look for suitable 5ths I can pull safely. I have to keep looking back at the formulas. My mind isnt as sharp as 10yrs ago in high school math. Ill just have to reread some of your posts  :p

Dickie125 said:
Your going to get different opinions here.
GVWR vs GAWR,RAWR debate will rage for ever.
Personally after towing overloaded for three years I am firmly in the GVWR crowd.  So pleaee bare with me.
GVWR minus scaled ready to travel weight minus 250 pounds is your net cargo carrying capacit (pin weight).
As a ball park estimate allow 250 pounds for a hitch.
Fifth wheel pin weight is basically all carried by the rear axle.  Technically that may not be true, but good enough for what you want.
If you have scaled loaded for travel weight plus weights for both axles you will have the basic information you need.
Now, remember fifth wheels carry approx 20% of their total weight as pin weight.  That number can be as low as 18% and as high as 25%.  Most people accept the 20% number as a good starting point. Remember this is not "dry" or "shipping" weight.  So to be safe, use 20% of the trailers GVWR.  You may not hit the gross weight, but then again guaranteed you will never see the dry weight.
Thanks for the info.
Ill have to keep digging into this 5th wheel stuff.

Added a picture of the truck in question.

Attachments

• Picture1121160311_1.jpg
    Picture1121160311_1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 55
Thank you. The color in sunlight is pretty nice..wasnt expecting to get this color, but I love it.

Another question. I put my numbers into towingplanner.com and results said I can tow between 10,700 and whatever other number. So these are the weights in 5th wheels I should be looking at? Sub 10k lbs. This included weight of cargo, people and hitch. Thanks.

My F350 SRW  has a CCC of 3453#, and by my calculation with 500# passengers and cargo, 40# Andersen hitch, I can handle 2900# pin wt, or a 14,500# FW GVWR.

Calculation I use is      CCC - (wt of passengers, cargo and hitch) = max pin wt.
Max pin wt X 5 = max FW  GVWR (assumes 20% pin)

Put your numbers into this formula.

Not sure if the GAWR is worth mentioning, but I grabbed the numbers just in case.

If I go this route, any recommendations on a hitch? Approx how much do they weigh?
Actually their the biggest safety concern numbers as that include tires/wheels and rear spring pack.....and it particular the trucks 7000 RAWR.

Math is simple for figuring how much load any truck can carry.
  Your 3500 SRW rear axle can weigh in the 3200 lb range leaving around 3800 lb for a payload in the bed. Every truck owner that will be carrying weight should know his trucks separate front and rear axle weight numbers. Get'r weighed so you will know.
A pickup trucks front axle carries very little weight of a GN/5th wheel trailer so its not a big player in the weight game.

A heavy hitch plus rails may weigh 250-300 lbs.
A lite hitch/rails may weigh in the 150-175 lb range.
A auto slide hitch is heavy.....manual slider is lighter.

One size don't fit all here so check each website for your favorite hitches weight.

The Anderson hitch may weigh 50 lbs.

grashley said:
My F350 SRW  has a CCC of 3453#, and by my calculation with 500# passengers and cargo, 40# Andersen hitch, I can handle 2900# pin wt, or a 14,500# FW GVWR.

Calculation I use is      CCC - (wt of passengers, cargo and hitch) = max pin wt.
Max pin wt X 5 = max FW  GVWR (assumes 20% pin)

Put your numbers into this formula.
You never disappoint :)
I like your truck.

Using towingplanner.com, I got 11-13k max (depending on cargo weight) for 5ths. For S+G's, I checked the TT numbers...says 18k. Pretty sure Id need a bigger class hitch for that and seems a bit much for a SRW gasser.

I pull my 12K FW with my 3500 RAM that has 4070 payload.  I would not like to pull anything heavier although it does well this combination. With your payload, I suggest you stay no more than 11K GVWR forma FW. MHO

RVRAC said:
I pull my 12K FW with my 3500 RAM that has 4070 payload.  I would not like to pull anything heavier although it does well this combination. With your payload, I suggest you stay no more than 11K GVWR forma FW. MHO
Thanks. Thatll get a nice sized 5er

So while I am interested in 5ers, Im liking the layouts of TTs better. Might even look at a toyhauler. Now Im not crossing off anything, just gonna broaden my search more until I find something good.

You asked about hitches, that factory install on the Fords is super nice. When I had the F-350 I had a Reese Elite 25000 and I liked the way it towed and ease of taking it in and out of the truck bed. I did experience trouble getting the hitch to release if it was in the slightest of binds. I now have a B&W 30000 hitch and I can feel a little more movement than with the Reese, but nothing uncomfortable. But never had a problem with releasing the hitch, and it's quieter than the Reese.  Neither hitch was a slider. I tow a toyhauler probably close to 15000-16000# if I have the motorcycle in it, along with other stuff. Just sharing my personal experience, both seem like quality hitches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom