Heading south from British Columbia into Washington

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muskoka guy

We are currently in osoyoos british columbia. We want to get to the coast near portland Oregon. The mountain passes are closed or have chain restrictions. Anyone familiar with this route. It looks like we can go south to the Columbia river valley without having to cross any mountain passes. Am I wrong in my assessment. Thanks.

From Osoyoss to the Columbia River is possible by staying on 97. BUT you will have to
have the weather on your side.  South of Wenatchee is Blewett Pass and south of Ellensburg
is the Manastash ridge area and again south of Toppenish is a mt pass.  This is a doable
and fun trip in summer but I have never tried it in winter.  You will have to .closely follow the weather.  Once at Biggs Junction I84 west to Portland is again a good road but this time of year it can be dicey.  Sorry i can't be more positive.  There are ways to circumvent some
what i have described but will add miles and  probably be not much better.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/

If the passes are icy, follow the local 2 lane hwy from Wenatchee to Quincy & George, then back to I-82 and follow I-82 to I-84. 

Be sure you go through Portland after 9:30am and before 2:30pm or traffic is going to be a mess. 

With the storms we have been getting any route is going to be a c**p shoot. 97 south is probably the best bet but as mentioned watch the weather and road reports.

be sure to check with wsdot  and odot for road conditions. if you are leaving any time soon there is suppose to be a ice storm in the columbia river gorge  tonight

There is a pretty potent storm heading for the Oregon Coast these next few days as well as high winds inland.  Probably will be over by the time you get down this far, but keep checking.

I would plan on 97 all the way to 84,while checking the road conditions along the way here:
http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/default.aspx

There are a lot of places to stop and wait if one of the passes appears to have issues.

You had better sit tight, the three major routes from the B.C. interior to the coast are closed. 97 is probably not much better.

Back
Top Bottom