Refrigerator Thermo Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I'm just trying to get some ideas of what the possible problem could be before I turn it over to the $120 per hour guys.  Our Norcold N842-IM fridge worked perfectly for the first two years we owned the coach. We could set the thermostat on either the 5 or 6 setting and it kept everything nice and cold and the freezer kept freezing and making ice.  But last summer, I noticed that in order to maintain about the same temps I had to set it at at least 8 and sometimes at 9 which is the max setting.

Question:  Is there any kind of cleaning or adjustment that I could do to make the unit go back to it's previous efficiency level?  Any ideas or thoughts from those who had the previous experience would be appreciated.

Bill

It may not be significant, since the only real measure is whether the cooling unit is running longer or not. A change is the thermostat setting may just mean the thermister (temp sensor) got moved or dirty, or is less sensitive, or simply that you are packing the fridge differently. Basically the t-stat just makes the cooling unit run until the desired temperature is reached. It has to run a certain amount to reach the desired temperature, regardless of the number setting on the tstat.

Is it the same on LP or electric? Has there been any change on the exterior, something that might be blocking the air movement over the cooling unit? Maybe a bird nest back there? You might try forcing air though the back with a small fan to see if that causes an internal change.  Likewise, a fan inside the fridge may help distribute the chilled air better. Something like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/14504360

I know your fridge isn't in a slide, but do you have a fan installed at the back of the fridge from the factory? If so, maybe it's not working.

One thing I have found with my Dometic is that how well it cools does seem to depend a lot on how hot it is.

In the Heat of the Summer.. I can barley keep Ice Cream solid in the freezer

Right now I've turned it down two steps and the water in the PUR filter,,, still gets "hard" (Frozen) to some extent (not solid, just a think icy shell)

Thanks for the replies.  In thinking about it, last summer was very hot and humid in our area so that may account for the lower efficiency.  There is no factory fan behind this unit and I have had a small fan on the interior for the past two years. I think that little fan does help improve things.  I haven't really studied it close enough to see if it is different on LP vs electric but I normally use LP when travelling and elec when at a campground (or at home).  No obstructions behind the unit or in the roof vent.  So I will be doing some further study on the problem this spring and summer to see if the situation persists. Thanks folks.

You may want also want to check the door seals. It doesn't take much of an air leak to seriously affect the efficiency of the fridge.

Mickey D said:
You may want also want to check the door seals. It doesn't take much of an air leak to seriously affect the efficiency of the fridge.
I'll do that Marvin. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom