Vote on my new look!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

Before and After

Work in Progress

My whole life is a work in progress. I am living in my forever home, an old little Class C that is 28 by 7 feet. No slide outs or pop outs.

It's tiny home living!

Since I have no car, I spend an inordinate amount of time at home. One would think this would be a fabulous money saving idea.

Mostly it is!

But I get tired of the decor and I am often seeking inexpensive solutions to change it up to something soothing and comfy.

My motorhome like many came with a lot of real and fake wood. Too  much wood!

I wanted to paint the interior cabinets. However the work to do that and the resulting cost is just way out of line with my skills and budget.

Lately I have a friend visiting me and we have loads in common. Mostly that we are both eccentric and beat to a very different drum. After that we are vastly different.

Think outside the box!

We found cabinet faces in the dumpster that were stark white and carried them back to my rig. None of them fit, but it gave me ideas. What if just the cabinet faces were painted off white buttery?

We returned the found cabinet faces since we could not use them. They had newer brass pulls but the screw holes were radically different so that was a no-go salvage.

My friend pointed out the path f least resistance would be to remove them, and spray paint them outside then put them back up.

So we did a few drawers as a test run.

The spray paint color available was either full on yellow or beige. I wanted a pale buttery color, but I compromised with a lean towards beige.

Here are some work in progress pictures.

The first is BEFORE, a view from the entry door with the kitchen counter and drawers straight ahead, the kitchen to the left and the dining/desk booth area to the right.

We had already snatched the bottom drawer out for a test run. Then we decided to do all 3 drawer faces. The 4th one at the top will be done later.

AFTER,  we have our test look finished. Those are the original brass pulls, we kept them. They cost a fortune. We tried to clean them up some what to look nicer. They've had 23 years of grimy handling.

I love the new look, while it's not as buttery as I had hoped, they do seem to pop and give the rig a new look.

On the left is the lower side of my infamous galley wall that hasn't come tumbling down yet.

What's hanging on the lower hooks are some of my beloved and well used collapsible bowls and colander.

The purple bowl is a "Squish" 1.5 quart and the green one is a 5 quart. Squish makes a 3 quart which I do not own (yet!).

I prefer Squish because it comes in fun colors, there is a hole for hanging, they are oval, they have a spout. I use elastic  bowl covers  if I store something in them. Mostly I use them for mixing bowls then decant the final recipe into a smaller bowl with a screw on lid.

The colander is red with stainless steel and silicone. It is awesome. I use it almost daily washing produce or draining things like beans or pasta.

Gotta run now, more sanding and painting to do.

Life's a mess!

So what do you think?

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 251
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 255
I think it looks good. Once everything is done, the lighter color should brighten up that whole area and make it appear larger. That's the one thing I really dislike about my trailer is the dark brown furniture. It darkens the whole living room. If you decide that you want to paint all the wood, I don't believe I would compromise in the color. Do plenty of cleaning and deglossing before applying your paint to ensure it sticks well. I'm not sure how you would handle any vinyl trim if you have any. That project ought to keep you busy for a while. Don't paint your dog while doing this! ;D

Thank you for the kind votes!

I wonder what's wrong with RV designers that use dark depressing colors. I picture them in dark drab windowless cubicles designing RV's with dark drab colors and teeny sparse windows.

Many people take their rigs to sunny places. Why not a sunny interior? I saw a rig redecorated in candy colors, it was awesome. A very happy look! I lived in the Caribbean most of my life, now I am mostly in Florida,  so I would love to have a rig in Caribbean pastels.

I would love to see the RV designers come out with some happy colors and bring back the BIG windows.

I had to buy an old rig just to have decent sized windows. Amazing!

I can't live in a dark depressing box with teeny windows. I crave natural light!

Sure I lose storage space over having windows, but I've found I just don't need much junk in this life. Let Walmart keep it all!

I could pack all my year round clothes in 2 suitcases with room to spare.  ;D

About painting...

I used to date a fabulous house painter, more of an artist, he had such an eye for color he kept his clients from making glaring mistakes. Anyhow, he said if you want paint to LAST a long time, don't touch it for a month! That gives it time to dry and harden. After that he claimed it would last a super long time and be washable, but that the first month while it set up was critical.

So now as the painted cabinet and drawer faces go back inside, we are trying to be super careful to only touch the handle and nothing else.

By the way we are using sandpaper and Home Depot spray paint on the cabinets. So the cost is really quite minimal. We have only bought 4 cans so far and we haven't finished those up yet each face is getting multiple thin coats.

If you spray paint, do THIN coats and wait. Patience is everything!

Easier to see them in low light.  :)

In the end does it really matter what anyone else thinks?

I think they look fine.

But if anyone doesn't, and I assume there may be some - what does it matter?

Do what ever you want and enjoy it.  8)

Starting on the cabinet faces next.

One strange thing about my cabinet faces is they inserted this plastic faux brass trim in the cabinets. While I do enjoy the brass pulls, I am not at all fond of the brass plastic inserts. Seems like a waste of time and money on the builder's part.

Turns out all I have to do is sand it along with the rest of the cabinet door and the paint covers it nicely.

Only one new door rehung, more pics coming tomorrow when the rest have dried overnight and get rehung.

Attachments

• Before_.jpg
    Before_.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 67
  • After_.jpg
    After_.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Paint_.JPG
    Paint_.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 67
Looks great! ;D
Amazing what a small splash of color will do.
Maybe you could get custom paint color from a supplier near you?
http://www.customaerosolfilling.com/mckinney-tx-custom-aerosol.htm

Happy decorating! ;D

Back
Top Bottom