Are you going to charge extra for that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acemakr

We are getting closer to finally making a purchase decision. It's tough being a newbie. Visited a dealer yesterday and found out that hook up hoses are an extra.  Seriously?

Our water, electric, and sewer hook ups something I should get from the dealer or is Amazon a better alternative? Also, does length matter? I'm thinking the flexibility of additional length would be a plus.

Usually a dealer will give you a "start-up kit". It has all sorts of stuff, and usually the only things that are any good are the 30 to 15 amp adapter and the freshwater hose. I bought one sewer hose from Amazon, a Valterra, and I bought a Rhino at Walmart. I bought the Rhino at Walmart as I needed it "right now". Walmart still had a good price. I actually like the Valterra more. It's thicker, and it collapses solidly. It's 15 ' long, and if I only need say 8', it will pull out to 8' and stay there instead of spreading out everywhere. I would think Walmart's prices would be better than a dealer on their RV stuff, and they are convenient.
There are differing thoughts on what length and how many hoses to get. I have a total of 35' of sewer hose, and 60' of freshwater hose. Most of the time my 15' sewer hose and a 10' freshwater hose gets the job done. I have had one instance where I needed  the longer sewer hose, and use one of my 25' freshwater hoses. I have never had to have an extension on my electric at a campground.

acemakr said:
We are getting closer to finally making a purchase decision. It's tough being a newbie. Visited a dealer yesterday and found out that hook up hoses are an extra.  Seriously?

Our water, electric, and sewer hook ups something I should get from the dealer or is Amazon a better alternative? Also, does length matter? I'm thinking the flexibility of additional length would be a plus.

Everything is extra.  I'm surprised they come with tires.
Whoever has the best price.

At a minimum you will need
city water hookup 25' should suffice, but I seen some where you share between sites
An elbow at your trailer to prevent the hose kinking is helpful.
Pressure regulator, a preset regulator should suffice $10 or so.
Sewer hookup 20-25' with adaptors.  I've been close a couple times, yes length matters :D
A sewer hose support.  Seems silly, but they often come in handy.
A 30A to 20A adapter plug, or whatever depending on your trailer/motorhome.
A regular garden hose for washing cleaning at a dump station, and flushing your black water tank.
Leveling boards, blocks, etc. for a TT.
wheel chocks
A foot sweep (door mat) attached to your steps, and one on the ground, oh trust me.

Those are the basics off the top of my head. 

An electric extension is better purchased before hand I had to get a 50a from an RV dealer and it was 2x what i could get it for online. But i was sitting in 90+ heat and couldn't plug in.

I would highly recommend a pressure relator as previously mentioned. The only think is don't buy one of those $10.00 one's. They are junk and all they pretty much do is restrict the flow. You want something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-1117VP-Lead-Free-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B003YJLAIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486580713&sr=8-1&keywords=valterra+water+pressure+regulator
This one is adjustable and well worth the money.
Something else you may want to think about getting some day is a surge protector. Getting the right one, will protect all your electronic stuff if you ever get a power surge. Also a good one will pick up a electrical power problem at a campground power supply. This one is pretty much the best in the market. You can get a portable one or one that is hard wired.  Progressive garrantees their product for life if it should fail due to a power surge.
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT30X-Digital-Protector/dp/B01N0W4CZ8/ref=pd_lpo_263_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=72BK3Z843Q94T9MWQCJB

Good recommendations above.  Our dealer gave us the electricity cable, sewer hose and water hose  also some toilet paper and a few other bits and bobs. It's a bit mean to sell you something that you can't use immediately! I'd push for a start up kit,  a bit of sweet talking might work.

EVERY RV we've bought... Came with a "Starter Kit'. Sewer Hose, Water Hose, 30amp Cord, Toilet Chemicals Etc.. What's up with your Dealer.. ANYWAYZ !!!*

But....A Water Hose Hint (?)...

Buy a 50' length of 5/8ths RV water hose.. cut it @ 10' and 15' lengths, and install the needed hose-end connections.

That way yul have 3 different lengths to choose from, depending on the distance to the Park water hook up (?) rather than Hassling with the whole 50 footer ? But yul still have 50' if you need it ?

X2 on the Pressure Regulator ReneT talks about.

*@ Edit: Our last Dealer gave us a $75.00 certificate for a local RV parts store.. to go get what we wanted, or needed.. in the way of Hook-Up stuff.. other than the 50amp electrical cord that came With the Rig ??

I have been buying RV parts for over 7 years.

I find that most often Amazon can beat anyone else's price.

I used to travel a lot. I ended up with 60 feet of sewer hose as some places added sewer after the fact and it was not convenient.

Of course I am a small rig, so I often park at an odd angle to take advantage of the best view or best fit as I typically stay in grassy places. It comes in handy to have extras of everything.

About water hoses, I find it easiest to buy in 25 foot lengths not a heavy 50 footer. You need all the electrical adapters. If you do any driveway camping at friend's it comes in handy to have a super heavy duty extension cord and a converter to regular 110. I also have an electric extension cord.

This is rarely needed, but it has enabled me to have more flexibility on a large site on where to finally park my rig for the best view.

I once had a cheap friend come ask to borrow my sewer hose because she didn't want to buy more. I explained mine was all hooked up and in use. I suggested she go buy more and solve this issue for now and in the future. Turns out she could reach her sewer but she wanted to park differently and have me supply the hose.

Life is goof!

When I got my brand new Class A there ware a few things in it.  This was 2005.. (There is a reason I mention that year)

A sewer hose, about 10 foot, only one "End" though (The RV end) the other end was just cut off hose... Recommendation, get what it takes to go into the ground properly.  More on that latger

We had a shore cord of course, 50 amps, no adapters, I bought those
And a bottle of Formaldehyde type black tank chemical.. I still have that, Still in shrink wrap. I suggest if the dealer gives you one.... GIVE IT BACK.

I do not recall if a fresw water hose was included.

Since then I've goine through a couple of Camco extension hoses for sewer,  and two Rinoflex, and now have  Tethford Smart Hose which so far I like but I'm not using on this site.  (I pick the hose based on distance to the hole in the ground)

What hose is EXACTLY the right length on this site......

The Free one from 2005

Junk it may be.. but it is the oldest hose in the RV by several years.

Oh Forgot.. Hose ends.. The RV end is called a Female Bayonet type RV adapter (In most cases)  This is standard on nearly all hoses.

The other end is one of 4
Cut hose (What the dealer gave me)

Male Bayonet .. Common on Extension hoses (I do recommend an extension)

Screw in .. This one has plastic thing with 3 different size threads.. Usually one of the two largest is used.. NOTE. I often find they are hard to get out.. An ELBOW fits into this threaded part and can be removed.. Now there are two tools you can get to remove it.

Camco makes a "Sewer  Cover Wrench,  it has two square ends, different sizes, that are used to remove the screw in park plug and if  you have the kind of hose storage I have  those covers as well.. The outside of teh square, may fit your threaded adapter

I use a "V" shaped metal corner brace from ye-old-hardware

The remaining end is a "Friction Fit" this also has a 3-Step plastic thing that goes into the park pipe.. ONly no threads.. You often use the "Yummy Sewer Donut" (A rubber gasket) on this type of end.

I have multiple ends and adapters so I can do most anything,, but If I were to recommend one.. i'd go with the threaded.. I've got multiple cause.. Well,, They tend to accumulate as you junk old hoses and buy new ones.

The Tetford hose uses a different end (Cam Lock) but comes with the needed adapters.

Although several people mentioned a fresh water hose, make sure it is for potable water, not just any water hose. They are normally a white color. And just use a regular cheap green water hose for rinsing. The color differences should help prevent any mixups.

acemakr said:

Walmart has a decent line of RV products at good prices.

Bill

2kGeorgieBoy said:
Although several people mentioned a fresh water hose, make sure it is for potable water, not just any water hose.

I don't know why I didn't die growing up as a kid drinking directly out of the hose and I still do the same today. I must be living on borrowed time.

Rene T said:
I don't know why I didn't die growing up as a kid drinking directly out of the hose and I still do the same today. I must be living on borrowed time.

Yeah, but was that the grey water hose?  ;)
Besides, they claim the white hoses don't make the water taste funny.  That claim I find true, at least at my house, where I know what the water is supposed to taste like.

Old_Crow said:
Yeah, but was that the grey water hose?  ;)
Besides, they claim the white hoses don't make the water taste funny.  That claim I find true, at least at my house, where I know what the water is supposed to taste like.

No, I use a black hose at home and there is no taste at all IMHO. We purchased this hose back in the early 70's from Sears and it still in great shape.

acemakr said:

What kind of unit are you looking at?  Year, Brand and Model?

I would think - and could be wrong - but the higher quality units, I would expect would come with more and higher quality "starter" stuff.

Gods Country said:
A sewer hose support.  Seems silly, but they often come in handy.
Not silly, there are places we've camped that did not allow the sewer hose to touch the ground. Las Vegas for one has law (don't know if it's state or local) that the campground can be fined for.

TheNewhalls said:
Not silly, there are places we've camped that did not allow the sewer hose to touch the ground. Las Vegas for one has law (don't know if it's state or local) that the campground can be fined for.

Unless things have changed... The State of Oregon requires the sewer hose to be OFF the ground ?

A sewer hose support.  Seems silly, but they often come in handy. Some municipalities require sewer line supports  a Tucson suburb was one that required the support.  Plus you had to have an end elbow that goes into the  ground pipe tight. 

Some camp ground were laid out with very strange configurations.  Sewer hook up way up close to the truck, water way back and electric in the middle.  I have had extensions on all my lines and I have had occasion to use them all. 

Portable ice maker is a must if you don't have one in the fridge.  Out side folding table is nice too. 

Folding arm chairs with attached side tables are welcome addition.

Face it an RV is just like a Boat.  "Throw another thousand at it" is a mantra you will get very familiar with very fast as you will be paying to get warranty items done when you are away from the dealer.  Even most dealers are very reluctant to see you back much once the sale is made. 

I know some people just have to buy NEW but along with the huge immediate depreciation you also get months of frustration.  Trying to get the unit up to what you would think would be a reasonable  standard for delivery of a new product. 

Sadly with RV's that is not true.

Rene T said:
I did too. of course everybody drank directly from the tap then too :eek:
I hope you borrowed enough  ;D

Back
Top Bottom