EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Premature Failure of Fabric: Anyone Else Have This Problem?  (Read 1952 times)

ChasA

• ---
Re: Premature Failure of Fabric: Anyone Else Have This Problem?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »
The ultraleather in our 8 year old Winnebago Journey is like new and we live in it for about 6 months a year.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

docj

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »
As I have posted on other threads, not all fabrics that look like Ultraleather are made by Ultraleather and that even that company makes several grades of fabrics.  RV manufacturers specify how much they want to pay for upholstery and the seating companies buy fabrics that match their price points.  Ultraleather is just one of a number of urethane finished fabrics made by several manufacturers. 

Last year we purchased a pair of deluxe FlexSteel captains chairs upholstered in the best Ultraleather available on the market.  The pair of them were >$4k.  Not to boast, but it's unlikely that the OEM seating in your RV was at that price point unless you had a very high end unit.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Macrver

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
I have a 2011 Jayco "Superlite" fifth wheel.  The fake leather covering on the sofa has been flaking badly for about a year or two; it flakes off in hunks.  No harsh atmosphere, no sprays, no nothing but normal use as a sofa.  And not much of that, my wife and I prefer the two swivel chairs instead.

My wife made fabric covers to cover up the deteriorated fake leather and now the sofa does not look so trashy.

Incidentally, Jayco has not heard from me about the flaking fake leather because being several years out of warranty, I know they won't do anything.  So there may be more failures of this type than they know about.
2011 Jayco 28.5RLS Fifth Wheel
2008 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax
Pullrite Superglide hitch

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
I have to chuckle a bit about upholstery "premature failure". Upholstery is a wear & tear item, subject to deterioration through usage, spills, sunlight, heat/cold, humidity, and just plain aging.   It all looks good on Day 1, but quality (read: cost) will eventually become apparent. Sooner if subject to harsh usage or weather conditions. Unlike furniture in your home, RV upholstery is subject to a wide, sometimes extreme, range of environmental conditions and cracking, flaking, etc. will be one of the likely results.

RV makers can and do use upholstery and flooring quality as a major cost containment factor. They can use less expensive upholstery and flooring materials with full confidence that it will look good on the sales lot and last through the warranty period.

It appears that Jayco low-balled the upholstery choices in some of their models, and this particular one deteriorates in a really obvious manner.  However, at age 7 or so, it's far out of warranty so don't expect anything more than a shrug from Jayco [or any other RV manufacturer].   If you bought a chair at Walmart and it lasted only several years, would you expect to take it back for a free replacement?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network