EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Vehicle tow ratings? 2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 wagon vs 2015 Volvo V60 T6  (Read 457 times)

Formula80_ca

I have been looking to buy a sport wagon to replace our aging minivan and will need to occasionally tow a relatively small enclosed trailer packed with a racing kart, tools and spare parts, etc.

I'm very confused by how a 2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 wagon has only a 1,000 lbs tow capacity rating vs a 2015 Volvo V60 T6 wagon that has a 3,300 lbs tow capacity.

Such a vast difference for what seem to be similar power numbers... the Cadillac has more horsepower 318 to 302 for the Volvo, although the Volvo does have a little more torque at 300 ft lbs vs 275 for the Cadillac. I know torque is important for towing but that seems like a fairly small amount of difference compared to the over 3 times difference in towing capacity. And on the surface it would seem like because the Volvo is a smaller vehicle it should not have the higher towing capacity.

Does anyone more knowledgeable than I have an explanation for this? ...maybe a difference in the chassis? ...suspension? ...Or is Cadillac just being way more cautious in its rating for warranty purposes compared to Volvo?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
Re: Vehicle tow ratings? 2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 wagon vs 2015 Volvo V60 T6
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:38:01 AM »
Brakes, transmission, frame, suspension - all those go into he equation. Whatever the reason, don't exceed the capacity ratings posted on the yellow sticker on the door of the car. You will invalidate your warranty, be responsible for damage in an accident related to towing, etc. It isn't worth it. If you want to tow much, go with the Volvo. Note that many states require electric brakes for all trailers over 1500 pounds too.

As a side note, my little Subaru Forester, 4 L engine, is rated to tow 2500 pounds even with 800 pounds of passengers. Works great for towing a canoe trailer. Obviously isn't all the engine.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Formula80_ca

Re: Vehicle tow ratings? 2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 wagon vs 2015 Volvo V60 T6
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. You're right, whether the car can handle more or not, it isn't worth it to exceed the rating on that sticker.

Hosted by Over The Network