touch up paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnbodine

My wife and I recently purchased a used Holiday Rambler motorhome. There are some noticeable scratches on the painted surfaces. Where can I purchase touch up paint that closely matches. FYI; the water heater door has all of the colors.  John

Many body shops and auto parts stores that sell automotive paint should be able to match your existing paint.

The paint codes are often provided somewhere inside the rig, and with those you can order matching paints (though fading is always a concern). If you gave the year & model, maybe another HR owner could suggest where to look for them. Or call HR and ask for help on finding the paint codes, or maybe they can give you the codes based on your coach VIN number.

http://www.holidayrambler.com/contact

OK but where would/could you get touch up paint for a vehicle that is not manufactured anymore - like mine?

RedandSilver said:
OK but where would/could you get touch up paint for a vehicle that is not manufactured anymore - like mine?
A good automotive paint store can take a picture and match your paint.

Once you have the paint code, most any paint touch-up paint source can mix it. Or a commercial paint shop (that handles automotive-type points) can make it in most any size you want.  Holiday-Rambler (aka Monaco) didn't make the paint themselves - it came from a major paint supplier such as Sherwin Williams or Dupont.

I just orered some touch up paint for my 2005 Pace from here http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Once you have the paint code, most any paint touch-up paint source can mix it. Or a commercial paint shop (that handles automotive-type points) can make it in most any size you want.  Holiday-Rambler (aka Monaco) didn't make the paint themselves - it came from a major paint supplier such as Sherwin Williams or Dupont.

Where is the paint code?  Is it in the VIN somewhere?

RedandSilver said:
Where is the paint code?  Is it in the VIN somewhere?

No!! it is not part of the VIN. It would be on a sticky somewhere if it was supplied but not all have that piece of info. The most likely sources would be the manufacturer in conjunction with your VIN or serial number or a good paint shop with the ability to match colours by scanning them.

As said before, any good automotive paint shop can shoot your paint with their magic gun and match the    paint. Can you take the water heater door to them? Last summer I replaced the two front fenders on a Ford pickup because of rust. Paint was two tone. Had what I called a metallic gray and white. Not common. Code sticker on door jam was missing from previous accident. They matched the paint perfectly even adding some fade to the gray. Hard to believe the technology.
  When the stripping on the mh started to fade some years ago, I took it down to the paint store and had them use their magic gun to match the stripping colors. I painted right over the vinyl with excellent results. I also had them mix me up an aerosol can of each stripe color for touch up.

jubileee said:
  As said before, any good automotive paint shop can shoot your paint with their magic gun and match the    paint. Can you take the water heater door to them? Last summer I replaced the two front fenders on a Ford pickup because of rust. Paint was two tone. Had what I called a metallic gray and white. Not common. Code sticker on door jam was missing from previous accident. They matched the paint perfectly even adding some fade to the gray. Hard to believe the technology.
  When the stripping on the mh started to fade some years ago, I took it down to the paint store and had them use their magic gun to match the stripping colors. I painted right over the vinyl with excellent results. I also had them mix me up an aerosol can of each stripe color for touch up.

Excellent tips.

My vinyl? seems to be fading some too.

Did you use a brush to paint over them or mask it all off and spray over the vinyl parts?

RedandSilver said:
Excellent tips.

My vinyl? seems to be fading some too.

Did you use a brush to paint over them or mask it all off and spray over the vinyl parts?
Hate to hijack thread. I sprayed vinyl with a good hplv gun. I masked stripes with vinyl pin stripping tape to eliminate hard edge then masked out from that. 

Did they mix you a regular single stage auto paint for that vinyl, or some other type of paint like Rustoleum?  I've been considering using an airbrush to re-do my stripes. 

Old_Crow said:
Did they mix you a regular single stage auto paint for that vinyl, or some other type of paint like Rustoleum?  I've been considering using an airbrush to re-do my stripes. 
  I'm an old guy with an old guys memory and painted those stripes in 2007 or 2008. But, I cleaned my paint shelf off last fall and I remember seeing  a can labeled " rv stripe sealer" and it had a can of hardener taped to it so I'm sure I used a sealer then acrylic single stage with hardner. I remember being concerned about the stripes being too "glossy" and they are not so I'm sure the paint was flattened somewhat to a satin finish. You mentioned rustoluem. For what it's worth, when  I spray rustoleum I thin it with acetone 50%+ or whatever it takes to get it through gun. Dries almost immediately and hard as a rock.

Thanks.  I guess I'll call my old paint supplier and see what he recommends.  I'll have to take the coach there to let him to match the colors anyway.

Back
Top Bottom