Old old Water Damage Fix Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

systemcat

I have no idea when this happened but it's clear from the weather proofing on the exterior roof, the original owner took measures to prevent it from happening later. This machine took a massive water hit at some point. The worst looking area is the far right back corner. Due to the curving wall I'm not sure what do cosmetically. I intend to cut out the damaged what I call "paper wood". Just for warmth lay installation along the back wall. But that curve ... What can one do to cover it up correctly? I don't want to hire a service for this. Heck, I feel proud for creating a replacement table to the missing one in this. .. Yes, I know that's minor.

Not sure this would apply to your issue, but I had to cover a curved area in the front of the cab-over bunk on a class C.  I had to make wooden rib supports and then I covered it with 1/8" plywood.  In the attached photos you can see the middle portion is flat (because I covered a window opening), but the upper and lower portions were curved.  The 1/8" plywood can be bent quite a bit.  If you feel 1/8" is too thin, a 2nd layer can be added.

Edit:  Be sure to treat the area with an anti-dry rot mixture like "Tim-bor" insecticide and fungicide.  Otherwise, the area could continue rotting or molding.

Attachments

• 2010_10_02_16_09_28s.jpg
    2010_10_02_16_09_28s.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 2010_10_04_17_30_06s.jpg
    2010_10_04_17_30_06s.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 43
You didn't give us much to go on, not even an RV type of year.  Pictures would help to understand what you need to cope with.  New wood, or composite paneling, can be curved to fit if you have the skills, but  maybe some alternative flat-angled trim or modification might do nearly as well.

It's a '76 Georgie Boy Cruise Master. I'll take pictures of the most concerning area ( the one I speak of here ) the next time I go inside it. Currently I can only show pictures of the floor basically since the other day I was in a hardware store talking carpet measuring with the sales staff.

Also don't worry if you think it's carpet is in bad shape due to water damage. I'm sure it once had carpet but it's been removed, at a guess long ago because of the dirt I've cleaned off the flooring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom