Ice maker leak, filtered water faucet too!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

casualemt

Greetings all! 2005 Journey, 2 problems I'm having, the ice maker leaks inside the freezer. The ice maker works, making ice as it should. But I had noticed the water pump kick on a couple of times a night like for only maybe 3 to 5 seconds. I wasn't sure if this was normal to maintain pressure or if there was a leak. When we got back from our big trip this fall, the bottom of the freezer compartment was solid ice, like the ice maker was leaking water into the compartment. The other problem is the water tube is leaking at the connection to the filtered water spout. I have had some water leakage under the sink occasionally but could never find the source until now. I cannot see how the water tubing connects to the faucet, there is no nut or threaded part, just looks like a white plastic ring around the tubing, pushed into the bottom of the faucet. Anybody have any ideas about these leaks? The journey is still enjoying its winter rest, but I want to make sure it's ready to go when the weather clears up around here...Thanks in advance!

On the icemaker, if a Norcold refrigerator, the ice tray is Teflon coated and after some years the Teflon wears off and the water wicks up and over the side of the tray to do exactly as you describe. The solution is to replace the icemaker. It is not a difficult job, an can be done w/o removing the refrigerator. I had the Norcold 1201 refrigerator. The replacement icemaker is Whirlpool universal ice maker kit, Part #57773 Model #ECKMF94 from Lowes. In 2010 the cost was apx $50. The kit includes solenoid, wiring, etc that you don't need to use.

Do you have the residential or Norcold/Dometic?  On our residential, there is no water pressure on the ice maker.  The pressure is controlled at the solenoid behind the fridge and when it allows water to enter the ice tray it is just a gravity fill controlled by the solenoid.  If your tray was actually leaking it could fill the freezer, but you wouldn't have ice necessarily because the tray wouldn't be holding water. 

casualemt said:
.. I cannot see how the water tubing connects to the faucet, there is no nut or threaded part, just looks like a white plastic ring around the tubing, pushed into the bottom of the faucet. Anybody have any ideas about these leaks? ..
Can you post some clear pictures of the connection?

I agree with Paul - time to replace the icemaker and I would also replace the water line solenoid at the lower rear of the unit. Your solenoid might have a lot of crud in it not letting it shut completely off.

BTW, do you flush your water heater? If you don't there's probably a couple of pounds of precipitates in the bottom of the tank.

Assuming this is a 1200 NORCOLD, the water valve is located behind the fridge and accessed from the outside. The valve is not in the ice maker. Suggest you look for leaks there first

Need to know make, and model of fridge.  Here's why, ours is a Maytag residential, and the defrost drain tube in the bottom of the freeze compartment plugged up and I had ice building up in the bottom under the freezer drawers until I took a pipe cleaner and cleared the drain tube.

Definitely need the fridge make/model to answer. Not clear on what the "filtered water spout" is, but if it's part of the fridge, it may not be the original fridge.

RV absorption fridges have an external water supply solenoid valve behind the cooling unit , whereas residential types have it internally.

If you're in a humid location all that water could be just melted frost.

Our Norcold 1201LRIM had 1/4 of water on the ice maker side after being on for 7 weeks.  We don't use the ice maker.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I am on the second day of a 48 hour shift on the ambulance, so I'll get the fridge model, and some photos of the filtered water faucet after I get off tomorrow at 8am.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
RV absorption fridges have an external water supply solenoid valve behind the cooling unit , whereas residential types have it internally.

I wouldn't say residential types have solenoids internal - they are still external (because they can't freeze) and they are close to the same area as an absorption fridge, near the base of the fridge in the back.  Our Kitchen Aide is right at the base behind the metal panel, behind the cooling unit under the fridge.  The aqua color is the exposed portion of the solenoid.  I just replaced ours last spring because it has froze at the Dealers before we bought it.

If it leaks, you will get water on the floor, not in the freezer.

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 16
Mile High said:
..If it leaks, you will get water on the floor, not in the freezer.
The leak I was referring to (and perhaps Jeff was) is the solenoid fails to shut completely off and lets some water dribble in to the icemaker tray.

John Canfield said:
The leak I was referring to (and perhaps Jeff was) is the solenoid fails to shut completely off and lets some water dribble in to the icemaker tray.
Ah, that would do it, yes sir.  I didn't think of that.  Mine has always been a split case on the solenoid, even at home.

I wouldn't say residential types have solenoids internal - they are still external (because they can't freeze) and they are close to the same area as an absorption fridge, near the base of the fridge in the back.

I merely meant "under the covers", as opposed to physically outside the cabinet and accessible via the RV's outer wall vent panel. You don't have to pull an RV fridge out of the wall to service or drain its ice maker solenoid.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
You don't have to pull an RV fridge out of the wall to service or drain its ice maker solenoid.
Shouldn't have to on a residential fridge either if it was installed with any love and engineering by the manufacture (an outside hatch to access the solenoid and water line for winterizing).  I installed that entire solenoid through that outside hatch Winnebago provided.

Hi all, Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I took a close look at the ice maker, I thought the water came in on the side that was leaking water, but it actually comes in on the opposite side. I also noticed the ice maker was mounted crooked, with the "leaking" side down hill a bit. I'm speculating that the water is filling the tray, and spilling out the downhill side. It still could be the solenoid putting too much water into the tray, but I have leveled the ice maker, and will see if that is all that was wrong with it.
The other problem...I have taken some pics of the faucet, and where the tubing connects to it. It is the same tubing that is used for the ice maker supply, everywhere else the tube is connected by brass compression fittings except where it attaches to the faucet, I'm baffled as to how it is attached, just sort of goes straight into the bottom with a small grey collar and a white outer collar, neither of which have any flat spots for screwing them in and hardly stick out far enough to get a pliers on...

Attachments

• IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 16
Don't know the name of that fitting but if you push that grey ring up towards the faucet it will release the tubing. There are teeth inside holding it in place and an O ring to seal against the tubing. Try pulling it out and cutting off an inch or so and reinsert it. Use a razor blade as you want a square cut and don't want to deform the tubing.

If the tubing is too short to trim, you could always add an inline shut off valve.

ya, they are like a sharkbite coupler.  As said, push in a little on the tubing, push in the gray collar and then pull out the tubing. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom