Short bed towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray01

I own a 2008 Ford F-150 fx4 it has the 5.6 box..has anyone towed a 5th wheel with one..what is the best way to go a slider or pin..thank you for any help..

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

If you have an F150, a ? ton truck, the box does not matter!!  IT DOES NOT HAVE THE PAYLOAD TO HAUL ANY FIFTH WHEEL!!

Get your truck weighed with a full tank of gas.  Now subtract this from the truck GVWR, shown on a white label on the driver door.  This is your real payload.  It should be in the neighborhood of 1500#.  This is the most weight your truck is designed to carry.

Now add up the weight of all passengers, pets, tools, cargo and firewood carried in the truck.  Add 200# for a FW hitch.  Subtract this from your payload to find the heaviest FW pin wt you can handle.  Since average pin wt is 20% of actual FW weight, multiply by 5 to get the weight of the heaviest LOADED FW you can handle.

EXAMPLE:  400# passengers and pets, 200# tools, cargo and firewood.  200# hitch  =  800#. 
This leaves only 700# for pin wt, or 3500# GVWR fifth wheel.  NO WAY

EXAMPLE:  400# total passengers and cargo in the truck. 200# hitch  =  600#
This leaves 900# for pin wt, or a 4500# FW.

A "light weight" 7000# DRY WT FW will weigh 8500# or more after you add propane, water, food, pots and pans, clothing, bed linen and towels.  This will have a 1700# pin wt.  Now add a FW hitch and passengers........

There IS  an alternative - a reasonable size Travel Trailer (TT) (Bumper pull).

While a FW places 20% of its weight on the truck, plus a 200# hitch, a FW places only 10% - 12% of its weight on the tongue, with an 80# WD hitch.  In example 1, the 700# pin wt becomes 820# hitch wt, or an 8000# TT  Example 2 will have a 1020# hitch wt, or a 10,000# TT.  The limiting factor here really becomes the length.  The camper is a huge sail, and a 30ft camper will push the truck all over the road on a windy day.

Be very careful NOT to believe the salesman.  His priority is selling campers, not your safety.  He will say you can yow almost anything on his lot.  HE LIES! 

Here is how they think:        http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

Your problem is not the box but the truck.  Not enough truck for a FW. Sorry!

Yup I ran the numbers and came up with the same thing..guess it's time to buy a new truck..thanks guys

I know that's not what you wanted to hear but I just wanted to say welcome to the most informative forum in the entire world.

A 5th wheel is the only way to go I think so I'm selling my f150 ..I found a 2001 f650 it's only got 14k miles on it for Realy cheap ..it's got a flat bed on it but I'm taking that off and making a cruzer out of it..I think it will work out great..

If those are real miles, you found a real SWEETHEART!!  Congrats!  That is plenty of truck at a price that allows for a nicer FW and lots of truck mods!!  PLEASE SEND PICTURES!

Back
Top Bottom