Power of 2017 Ventana 3709 with Cummings 340 isb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CP

Hi all,
Been awhile since I have been on the forum. I am considering the purchase of a 2017 Newmar Ventana model 3709, which is just under 38 ft. It has a Cummings 340 isb engine. Does anyone know if this engine is ok for a GCWR of 33000 lbs? We live in northeast and my toad is about 3800 pounds.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Chuck

The Cummins 340 is a very good engine with adequate power...although some (I doubt it) may debate it.  And I consider Newmar to be a good coach.  Go for it and have a blast!

Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts.
Safe travels to you.
Chuck

The figure of merit for motorhome power is 100 lbs/hp, which gives adequate, though not sprightly, performance. 33k lbs and 340 hp meets that standard, with about 97 lbs/hp.

Is this a Ventana LE? The full Ventana 3709 has GVWR of 37,300, while the LE is just 33,000. The GVWR on the LE is only 31,000, so IF the coach is fully loaded there is just 2000 lb available for the toad. Also be aware that the LE 3709 has a cargo capacity of just 3500 lbs, so it won't be difficult to reach the GVWR when you have 2 people, some water and some gear onboard.

CP said:
Hi all,
Been awhile since I have been on the forum. I am considering the purchase of a 2017 Newmar Ventana model 3709, which is just under 38 ft. It has a Cummings 340 isb engine. Does anyone know if this engine is ok for a GCWR of 33000 lbs? We live in northeast and my toad is about 3800 pounds.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Chuck

I have a 2016 3709 and it has the 360HP version of the ISB (is the one you're looking at the Ventana LE? It's lighter than mine), and I tow a Wrangler 4-door. You'll find that it has adequate power, and is actually slightly peppier than my 525HP Beaver was. That being said, don't expect 0-60 times to be like a Corvette, closer to that of a semi, though you'll easily out do the more heavily loaded semis. That is typical of DP motorhomes.

We really like the coach.

Edited: Gary has an excellent point on the tow rating -- 2,000 lbs more than the max coach load is rather skinny, vs the full Ventana that has a 10,000 lb difference. The full Ventana also has a 7400 lb NCC vs. the 3500 lb NCC on the LE. So you'd need to be careful about the loading.

Hi Gary, it is an LE with the 340 ISB and I think 700 lbs of torque.

I asked about weight and got the following from the dealer.

GCWR. 33,000
Less UVW 27300
Leaves 5700
Less my toad 3800
Leaves 1900 for water, propane, food, etc.etc.

I think I can live with remainder as it is almost always just my wife and I.
Do think this analysis is correct?

Hard to say. I can only assure you that you will carry a lot more stuff than you can ever imagine. If not on Day One, surely by the end of the first camping season.  It is also likely that the RV will actually weight more than that  27,300 lb UVW when you get it. I personally would not be comfortable starting out with only 1900 lbs for ourselves and our gear, but individual needs vary a lot.

The engine will not be a performance issue, though many Rv owners wish they had "more". Your car probably has 20# or less per hp, so by comparison the coach is going to feel rather "stately" in its performance, but she will get you there just fine.

Some one check me on this but if I am reading this correctly and you only have 1,900 lbs:

water        105 gal.x 8.3 lbs/gal = 813.5 lbs
propane      32 gal x 4.5 lbs/gal = 144 lbs
Wt you        154 lbs/person  x 2  = 308 lbs

total = 1,323.5 lbs from 1,900 lbs leaves you 576 lbs for food, clothing, chairs, grill and all your other stuff. 

Jennifer

Let me add an opinion: The full Ventana is a bit more expensive, but you sure eliminate a LOT of worries for that extra bit. And you might find it better to go for a 2015 or 2016 Ventana 3709 gently used, which should be a bit less than the 2017 Ventana LE 3709 new. Then you'd not have to worry about these issues, and would get a better coach for a tad less money, probably with more amenities, as well. My '16 has an Oasis (competing brand to Aqua Hot, and works fine) and a residential fridge (no propane on board at all), though the full Ventana doesn't have those as standard.

But, at least you now are going into this with your eyes wide open, so any capacity issues (and coach strength issues) are something you'd have to live with -- the LE chassis is not identical to the full Ventana, which is why the capacity and strength differences.

TANSTAAFL

Why spend all the money for a diesel if it will be pushed to the limit?  As someone who has a gas that is at the limit, I will tell you that my 2nd coach will have more wiggle room - gas or diesel.  Suspension, tires, axles, transmission and engines that are always at their limit are not fun to drive and I suspect will not last as long.

When I see a coach advertised with a new or rebuilt transmisssion and only 45,000 miles I always wonder if it was overloaded its whole life.

Thanks all for your input and your points are well worth considering. I might hold out for more power in a unit we like.

Thanks again!
Chuck

CP said:
Thanks all for your input and your points are well worth considering. I might hold out for more power in a unit we like.

Thanks again!
Chuck

Although Cat powered, my coach is almost the same length, weight and power as the one you're asking about. Whether 340-350 HP is enough is something only you can decide. There are those that want to run up almost any grade at the speed limit, others aren't bothered if they slow down on some grades.

I carry WAY more stuff than I should, always travel with full water (for contingencies and/or dry camping) and I tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee that sometimes has a 60 gallon aux water tank in it. I am perfectly happy with the power of my coach. There have been some grades that I have slowed to perhaps 40-45. But there have been just as many downhill grades where I have gone equally slowly to ensure I'm geared down with RPM up for the exhaust brake, and more horsepower isn't going to help you there.

More HP = less mileage, nothing's free. There are a few things I'd look for in the "next" coach, but significantly more HP isn't one of them. Again though, to each his own.

boy look how the GCVWR capacity jumps in the Dutch Star with the ISL!  That allows for a pretty serious toad, even though the cargo is not that much more in the shorter units.

Back
Top Bottom