FirstTimeCamper: nice campground in SC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antbin15

We bought our first travel trailer (21' ft pull behind) and we'd like to give it a try next weekend: not too far from home (WNC), so somewhere near Greenville / Spartenburg SC or Charlotte NC. Any suggestions please? Thanks  :)

What constitutes "nice" in your view?  Trees & wildlife? Privacy, with no neighbors in sight? Water, sewer & electric?  Convenient to town shopping & restaurants? Paved sites? Easy access roads? Etc etc etc.

The Tanglewood RV park near Winston Salem is very nice. It's in a large a county park and has a lot to offer.  See http://rvtanglewood.com/

It doesn't open until March 1, though. You may run into opening date problems in much of western NC/SC this time of year.

Thank you Gary. I've noticed that a lot of camps only open on 3/1; I guess we'll wait a couple of weeks. As for nice, I think just somewhere safe, not too busy but not too remote, with a few amenities like wifi and maybe a lake or pool.

I just looked at the Tanglewood site and it's perfect; just realized that a golf course would be great for my husband (golf is his first love). Thanks.

The Charlotte Fort Mill KOA is open year round.  We are stopping over there later this week for the first time.

All of the South Carolina State Parks are open year round. Being from SC, I have stayed in just about all of them. If you love nature, you will love the SC state parks. All come with rivers, lakes or oceans.

There are plenty around upstate South Carolina to choose from.

If you want mountains try Table Rock State Park or Paris Mountain.

For Lakes, there are plenty including Lake Hartwell, Devils Fork and my favorite Lake Greenwood. Tons of acreage and hiking are available at Croft.

For most you won't even need a reservation. Once you show up, you can ask to see the campground and pick out your own spot.

If you go to this map link for the SC State Parks, you will see more than a dozen between Charlotte and Greenville. At the top click off you are searching for RV spots and it will only show the parks with campgrounds.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park-finder/

Good luck and have fun!

Well, that's great: 2 state parks with golf courses that have great rates! The man is going to love me. Thanks y'all.

The COE parks around Lake Hartwell will open up in a couple of months.  They are great.  Check them out. 

http://www.ncparks.gov/lake-norman-state-park/camping

Lake Norman state park

No hookup. But does have water source and dump station

Check out Myrtle Beach Travel Park in myrtle beach. It's right on the ocean, and you can bring dogs on the beach til April 1st. Rates are reasonable, and the view is perfect! I'm here now as we make our way done to key Largo!

Places I have stayed
Lake Hartwell State Park (Really a COE park operated by the state)
Twin Lakes (COE) park also on lake Hartwell
South Cove (oconnee county parks, Seneca SC I can give directions (Easy to get to)
The main drag through Seeca is what I call the sequential numbered highway SC 123
Just east of the medical center, also east of Bi-lo and K-mart, is I Think 28 (if you cross the rail road tracks going east you went too far, about 20 feet too far)  Head NORTH.

Two lights (Bountyland is on the left, Some school road on the right) turn right
One light turn right again
Follow your headlights and you will get to the park (DO NOT TURN till you absolutly must, that turn is INSIDE the park)_

as you go into the park look to your left.. Just past a house is the road to the RV park, It's a "Sprite" of land (like an island with a land bridge)

What is it like there?  Well, perhaps I can provide a hint. if I edit, this may be sideways or upside down though.

Attachments

• South Cove 12-20-2013 AM-s.jpg
    South Cove 12-20-2013 AM-s.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom