Steering wheel will not lock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinaryBob

Moderator Emeritus
I have a new 2017 corolla on my (pivoting) dolly and I can't seem to lock the steering wheel. Traded in our 2010 corolla that didn't have this problem. The steering wheel is near impossible to move but I'm wondering if this is a new feature or perhaps I'm missing something.
Help! It's dollied up and we're ready to roll.

I don't know about your Corolla but some newer vehicles don't have steering wheel locks. They were so easily defeated by a thief that some manufactures stopped using them.

Do I need to do anything ? Maybe secure the steering wheel with ratchet straps? Or am I OK as is?
With the dolly straps on the tires I can barely move the steering wheel.

Well... This is the best I can do for now since we're leaving tomorrow.
I used ratchet straps on each side of the steering wheel to the bottom of the seat assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 20
All modern cars are required to have an "anti-theft" device but a steering wheel lock is only one of the methods. As Don says, new cars often use electronic means, e.g. a chip in the key, instead of the mechanical wheel lock. Neither of my last two cars had a steering lock.

If your dolly is one that has its own swivel pad and thus requires that the front car wheels not turn, you should strap down the steering wheel as tightly as practical.The steering wheel may be hard to move in human terms, but the forces exerted on the front wheels by the dolly in a turn are huge compared to human muscle.

Chances are you can run the seat belt through the spokes of the wheel to do that.  On the 2013 Buick Verano we dolly-towed, I extended the belt fully, looped it around the bottom spoke and latched it, then ran the seat back to tighten it up. Worked great.

Full travel day. No issues. The ratchet straps remained very tight. No play in the steering wheel. Gary, I tried the seat belt method, even wrapped it twice but it wouldn't snug up properly in this particular car.
Although I might be over thinking the necessity of having the steering wheel virtually ridgid.

I might be able to "Improve" on the seat belt method a bit.

Add "The Club" after-market steering  wheel lock.  You will use the seat belt but wrap once around the club or loop it under the wheel, over the Bar, then back under the wheel. This may hold better than the belt by itself. .. Can't guarantee.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom