water regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dblocker

Question about water regulator. I have a  standard regulator that I purchased at an rv supply house.  I have very low water pressure.  Is there a different regulator I could get with a little more pressure.  Do they make one that can be set ( adjusted) for a certain pressure or are they all pre set.  Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

Dee

dblocker said:
Question about water regulator. I have a  standard regulator that I purchased at an rv supply house.  I have very low water pressure.  Is there a different regulator I could get with a little more pressure.  Do they make one that can be set ( adjusted) for a certain pressure or are they all pre set.  Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

Dee

I would recommend this one. It is adjustable.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-1117VP-Lead-Free-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B003YJLAIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486945844&sr=8-1&keywords=valterra+regulator

follow  up question;  what pressure range is considered safe for a motorhome?  also, anybody know what pressure the 10 dollar regulators sold at camping stores are set at ?

Dee

The valterra is a good regulator is a good one, have had mine several years.  I set it about 45 PSI.

Regulators will not increase pressure. It will only lower pressure if the line pressure is too high. Get a good pressure gauge to check incoming pressure.

dblocker said:
follow  up question;  what pressure range is considered safe for a motorhome?  also, anybody know what pressure the 10 dollar regulators sold at camping stores are set at ?

Dee

I would say between 40 and 50 PSI.  Those cheapo regulators are really just flow control valves. They don't do much for regulating the water pressure.

Rene
trying to figure out how I would  mount this one.  I have a hose reel with the cheapo regulator on the end of the hose.  This doesn't seem practical for this regulator unless I disconnect it from the hose after each use.  I know that makes me lazy, but that's the reason I installed the reel.  I had to re plumb the piping when I installed the reel and didn't leave enough room for this regulator.  I may have to imitate a plumber again.

Dee

dblocker said:
Rene
trying to figure out how I would  mount this one.  I have a hose reel with the cheapo regulator on the end of the hose.  This doesn't seem practical for this regulator unless I disconnect it from the hose after each use.  I know that makes me lazy, but that's the reason I installed the reel.  I had to re plumb the piping when I installed the reel and didn't leave enough room for this regulator.  I may have to imitate a plumber again.

Dee

Put the regulator at the shore power spigot that way it protects your hose from being over pressurized.

Another vote here for the Valtera regulator. I set mine to 50 PSI. I accidentally left it outside, hooked up to a spigot a couple years ago and it snowed. The freezing temps damaged some internal parts of the gauge, but Valtera replaced it for free when I called them to order new parts. They even paid for shipping. Pretty good customer support - especially when you consider that it was a year out of warranty, and I told them it was my fault.

Kev

And just a warning about those cheap "reducer" ones that control flow. That is all they do. Most are set at 40 PSI, which is OK. The problem is that when you shut the flow off, they do not stop the pressure in the line from building back to what ever the pressure is on the line. 

Go with the Valterra with the gauge. I set mine at 55 PSI and it works great.  I would consider taking the hose reel out and mounting the regulator at the connection where the hose reel attaches to the MH.  The gauge on the regulator can be rotated if necessary. Then reinstall the hose reel.

Wizard46 said:
Regulators will not increase pressure. It will only lower pressure if the line pressure is too high. Get a good pressure gauge to check incoming pressure.

True as written however many regulators (The ones I called "Junk" in my earlier post) have issues with 1 GPM, let alone 2 GPM needed for a proper shower.. The internal passages are NOT large enough and they simply not flow the flow, even with 120 PSI on the high side.

So that is why I call those JUNK, they DO LIMIT the pressure and do so quite well.
But they do NOT allow full flow... They are simply too small.

My 3/4" Zurin,, well it can do 5 GPM easily.

John From Detroit said:
So that is why I call those JUNK, they DO LIMIT the pressure and do so quite well.

Yes they are junk, and they cut the pressure down in RV's only when water is being used. As stated above, once water use is stopped, they will allow full system pressure to build up in the RV's water system. Another vote here for the Valterra. Watts is very good also, but costlier.

Arch Hoagland said:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rainbird-Pressure-Gauge/20958963 

Buy one of those so you will know what is going on.

The only thing wrong with using one of these gauges that it will only tell you what the pressure is at that time. I've been to some campgrounds where the pressure fluctuates 30 PSI during different times of the day. The Valterra adjusts for that without any monitoring. 

SargeW said:
  I would consider taking the hose reel out and mounting the regulator at the connection where the hose reel attaches to the MH.  The gauge on the regulator can be rotated if necessary. Then reinstall the hose reel.

Sounds good Marty except the hose would not be protected. Putting the regulator at the CG spigot protects the hose too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hose. I would be more worried about water line clamps on the city side of the RV if the pressure was too high. But not likely.
Regardless, an adjustable regulator of about 50psi (40-50psi is typical to my knowledge) should fit the bill. Installed at the CG spigot is still the best place.

Look at it this way...
I have 52psi of city water pressure at the homestead. We can have two showers going (if the water heater can keep up) and the dishwasher going all at the same time. Just don't flush the toilet too!  :eek: ;D

You get the idea.

denmarc said:
I have 52psi of city water pressure at the homestead. We can have two showers going (if the water heater can keep up) and the dishwasher going all at the same time. Just don't flush the toilet too!  :eek: ;D

Yes that's right Mark, but your pipes are probably 3/4". Much more volume than RV piping.

Winnebago tests to 85 psi which is what most home faucets/appliances are rated for.
I set the Watts whole house regulator I used with my motor home to 65 psi for 11 full timing years with no problems. There were quite a few months that we were parked where the park pressure was over 65 psi, so the motor home saw that much pressure.

Our town psi is 135 psi so most of us have whole house regulators and the local plumbers/companies advise setting them to 65 psi which is what my Watts regulator is set to.

You don't have low water pressure - you have low water flow (volume). The gallons-per-minute through those cheap inline regualtors is simply inadequate, usually under 2 gpm.  The higher flow rate Valterra mentioned buy others may be enough better to satisfy your needs, but some peole refer a "whole house' size regulator rated for 4+ gpm. Watts is one good brand.

This previous topic discusses regulators:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=59729.0

Rene T said:
Yes that's right Mark, but your pipes are probably 3/4". Much more volume than RV piping.

Actually, I have 1" coming into the homestead. 3/4" internal piping. So your guess is correct. However, the water source makes little difference on the city side of the RV. As long as sufficient pressure is there, there is no problem. An adjustable regulator would still be the way to go.
If you were to park your RV next to my house and hook up, you would get 52psi of water on demand. I know the pressure would deviate from one place to another. But does it deviate that much to be concerned about?  I'm ignorant on this. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom