Another awning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnppartain

We are looking into replacing our manual A&E awning arms with power arms. The two options I have narrowed down to is the Carefree Eclipse and Dometic 9100 with standard hardware. Which one do you folks like better? Our manual awning does not fit us very well. We do not leave it out at night or during any kind of windy conditions.

I have 16 foot Carefree and I have to help it in and out every time.  One side does not go all the way back in, as the material seem to have stretched, so I will have to strap it closed for travel. Plus another consideration, how and where are you going to run the power cord(s) and locate the switch?
Frankly I would prefer a manual unit.

Wi1dBi!!

Thanks for the reply. I have already run 12 volts through the outside skin just underneath the existing upper bracket for the awning. It powers an LED strip that I mounted under the gutter/awning rail down the side of the motorhome. I will out the switch next to the switch I mounted for the LED lights on the cabinet next to the door. I'm just wondering about the ability to adjust the pitch of the Eclipse vs. the 9100. I've read enough good and both on all of them, but want some first hand experience.

I had a older Carefree Eclipse and that worked reasonable well. However, it was 18 ft in length and the motor was just barely able to pull it in from full extension, and any extra load, e.g. a tree limb brushing it, stopped it dead and I had to give it some help. Shorter awnings would probably work better, though. Don't know if the newer ones have a more powerful motor. Other than that, I found it to be a solid unit and reliable.

Some electric models don't have much down-angle adjustment, but the Eclipse does. It easily adjusts to 5-6 different angles by pushing a tab on each arm and sliding it in or out to the next indent.

Be aware that without the angle support arms of the manual units, the powered ones "bounce" around when the wind gets under it. Takes some getting used to! The Eclipse scissor-arms just compress as the wind lifts the fabric, then it extends again as the gust dies down. Scary compared to a manual arm unit, but it's actually like having a big shock absorber on the awning. We spent summers on the windy Maine coast and got used to it moving around a lot, but it was quite resilient.

Back
Top Bottom