My current project with wifi and cell phone extender antennas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

decaturbob

and telescoping mast.  Got all the parts and pieces over the winter and trying to get antennas mounted and cables routed inside of coach before we take off for arizona in 10 days.

Here are some pics of my morning work with unistrut, antennas and mounting

Attachments

• 16602756_10208001943957428_3893429896162944304_n.jpg
    16602756_10208001943957428_3893429896162944304_n.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 16708250_10208001944197434_124540910519255014_n.jpg
    16708250_10208001944197434_124540910519255014_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 16729185_10208001944517442_4855602455210366417_n.jpg
    16729185_10208001944517442_4855602455210366417_n.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 16729239_10208001944917452_3175040488656797824_n.jpg
    16729239_10208001944917452_3175040488656797824_n.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 82
People will mistake you for an NSA agent  8)

Looks nice and secure!

Looks good.  I might have to copy your good idea..... ;D

They look like light stands without the tripod feet/legs attached.
Do you have a link where you got them from and how much they cost.
Did they come in different lengths?

How much is the WiFi omni antenna's gain?  And where did you get those too?

I for one, will be interested to see how you bring the cables inside and back out again if they are going to be less
than permanent.

what part of Arizona are you headed to? if you have an inverter and are interested, I could help you install the automatic transfer system I invented, you buy the parts (less than $60) and can pay for my time in beers, I can order the parts and send you an invoice so everything is ready when you get here

One more thing.

Your windows look like they are mirrors in the images.
Kind of cool.
Are they really mirror coated or was it just the angle and light of the day that made them look that way?

supermanotorious said:
what part of Arizona are you headed to? if you have an inverter and are interested, I could help you install the automatic transfer system I invented, you buy the parts (less than $60) and can pay for my time in beers, I can order the parts and send you an invoice so everything is ready when you get here
Can you shed some light on the Automatic transfer system you invented?

What it does etc.  -  Sorry if I missed a posting you did explaining what it was and did.
You can PM me if you like.

supermanotorious said:
all the info is in or linked in this thread

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,96811.0/all.html
Thanks for the link.

Looks like that was a big project and you did a great job moving the batteries and fabricating the frame for them etc.

supermanotorious said:

Just curious, but what does your ATS do that one of the off the shelf ATS doesn't do for about the same price with no assembly required?

RedandSilver said:

I for one, will be interested to see how you bring the cables inside and back out again if they are going to be less
than permanent.

I bought a 5 section aluminum telescoping mast which I was able to disassemble into a 2 section and a 3 section telescoping mast. I'll find a link to it.  The wifi antenna is from radiolabs and I got their USB wijacker repeater. The gain is something around 18db off the top of my head.  I'll post pics after I install wiremold and get the cables routed into the coach. It will be a permanent install when done.

RedandSilver said:
One more thing.

Your windows look like they are mirrors in the images.
Kind of cool.
Are they really mirror coated or was it just the angle and light of the day that made them look that way?

There is a coating on windows.

NY_Dutch said:
Just curious, but what does your ATS do that one of the off the shelf ATS doesn't do for about the same price with no assembly required?

I'd love to see examples of what you're comparing mine to

RedandSilver said:

than permanent.

I got the mast from  www.k1cra.com    MAST21B 21 Foot Telescoping Aluminum Mast - For WiFi, Portable Antennas

Desert_Rat said:
People will mistake you for an NSA agent  8)

Looks nice and secure!

my cell phone antenna I can extend 10ft above my coach, the wifi perhaps 10ft to the top tip.....when I did that, like whoa

interesting, I truly did not know there were options like this out there, I'd like to see the install manual, that will tell me if were comparing apples to apples which I doubt

my system allows the inverter to fully tie in the converter but eliminates a charging loop, where the batteries power the inverter which powers the converter which tries to charge the batteries

plus mine instantly switches power, there is no delay, your computer wouldn't even know it it was without power for a millisecond

ah ha, upon further research, they are calling a DPDT relay an automatic transfer switch, so yes that is the heart of my system but this will give you the loop I describe above, you'd rapidly drain your batteries

my system adds another, smaller 110V dpdt relay to signal a 12V relay when to connect or interrupt the converter's output charging wire, a total of 3 relays in my system

Ok, that makes sense if your feeding the entire RV from the inverter. I use a modified UPS for my sensitive electronics that's designed for the purpose, with my inverter only feeding selected circuits that are within it's wattage limits.

Just one comment.. That's a lot of mast.

Normally in Radio I will state "Height is Might"  And I can prove it.

however Wi-Fi is an exception.

Once you are high enough to see over the tops of the other RV's to the router's antenna. Well,  Additional height will not improve.. I use either a 20 or 24' (will have to measure it some day) telescoping flag pole. Never needed more.

John From Detroit said:
Just one comment.. That's a lot of mast.

Normally in Radio I will state "Height is Might"  And I can prove it.

however Wi-Fi is an exception.

Once you are high enough to see over the tops of the other RV's to the router's antenna. Well,  Additional height will not improve.. I use either a 20 or 24' (will have to measure it some day) telescoping flag pole. Never needed more.

I have done tests in my neighborhood...and the difference of 5 feet in height brought 20 more wifi signals into play...but then again we have trees and buildings around....

Back
Top Bottom