Backing up with tow bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabrown

can you back up any distance at all or not at  all that is the queston  dabrown

Don't. If you're very, very careful, AND if the toad is straight behind you (not in a turn) then you might safely go back a foot or two. Thus the rule-of-thumb that you don't back up without disconnecting first.

I second what Larry said.  I was even concerned about the sudden jolt of the engine brake engaging that I called the dealer and inquired about it...but he said all was good.  8)

The tow bar isn't the issue when backing while hooked up. The problem is the built-in castor of the toad front wheels that can kick the wheels sharply sideways to the stops in an instant. It does vary from car to car though, and I've found that I can successfully, and carefully, back our RAV4 up 10 feet or so if necessary. As said, a perfectly straight path is preferred. By paying attention to how I plan to exit before I enter a situation though, I've very rarely had to do it.

As Dutch says, with some cars, a very careful driver, and smooth flat terrain, it may be possible to back short distances, anywhere from 3-10 feet.  The general prohibition against backing recognizes that doing so is risky for the average person and vehicle.  The front wheels on the car can and will turn quickly and sharply, putting major stress on the tow bar, base plates and the car front end. If you aren't watching closely (which isn't always easy to do), you can bend something before you even realize it.

Please don't listen to the Negative Nancy's that say you can't.  All you have to do is to lock the steering wheel in the straight forward position and back the TOAD as you would a trailer.  Don't worry about the front wheels dragging a little as it is negligible wear on them.
Marvin

I would approach this with the utmost caution. And test how your particular rig reacts, do this discovery on you own.
Advice that suggests throwing caution to the wind has no equity in the adventure.

I have backed my unit up about 6 feet before the Jeep's steering went to full lock and the front tires started to scrub.

BTW - not all vehicles have steering locks to lock.

Good luck

Corky

You can back with your toad attached if you place a driver in the toad to prevent the wheels from turning off desired path. Any physical stress on toad, towbar and tow point doing this are negligible compared to those imposed driving I40 in Louisiana.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom